Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: Kindle App?

pioneercynthia wrote:

Having a Kindle app wouldn't even be an issue with me if B&N would just put more free books out there. Every single day I can get over a dozen free and interesting Kindle books (yes, Real books, by Real authors), and I'm sure I'm not hearing about all of them.

I always check to see if B&N is running the same deal, and except for ONE time, they're not.

Just curious, what books are these?  And, are these deals related to purchasing an Amazon Prime account?

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

My impression is that most of the free books Amazon offers are ones that are self-pubbed. That would go a long way to explaining why there are more free ones on Amazon than B&N.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

I was just over at the Kindle store, and most everything on the first 10 or so pages when I typed in 'Free' was either romance or erotica.  There wasn't anything there that I cared to read that wasn't already free at B&N.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Contributor
pioneercynthia
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

They're available from Pixels of Ink, Inspired Reads, Power Reads, etc. Yes, some are self published, that's true. But it's interesting that I've gotten a number of self-published books from Amazon, and wondered why they weren't available through Nook. Many of them were quite good, some not. But almost all the self-published books I find on B&N are pretty crappy. Just sayin'...

Let's not even get into the pricing structure for Nook books. That's a different discussion entirely.

I don't have an Amazon Prime account (though, I admit, I'm often tempted).

I have a real problem with many of the free books on Nook (not the Free Fridays--which are pretty good) being from Google books, which does such a dreadful job of OCR that many of them are almost unreadable. So I just use Project Gutenberg for that.

The point is that often times a free book will lead to a book purchase. I thought I would enjoy the samples that are available, but often times they "run out" two pages into the introduction, which might even be by a different author. There's no good way to determine if you like a book if all you can see is the table of contents and publishing front matter. Get real. You need to be at least several pages into the actual text.

I'm not giving up my Nook. I love it. There's definitely many advantages to it. (Frankly, it's the Betamax of the two. A better product than the Kindle, but... If you don't understand what this refers to, you just understood what this refers to.) I'm just saying that B&N has a tough row to hoe if they think they're seriously competing with Amazon.

audentis Fortuna iuvat ~Virgil
Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

pioneercynthia: Yes, some are self published, that's true. But it's interesting that I've gotten a number of self-published books from Amazon, and wondered why they weren't available through Nook.

Probably because many of those books are self-published through Amazon's self-publishing program. If an author chooses that route to publish his/her book, it won't be available through B&N unless they also publish it via either B&N's self-publishing program or another one.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

TnTexas wrote:

pioneercynthia: Yes, some are self published, that's true. But it's interesting that I've gotten a number of self-published books from Amazon, and wondered why they weren't available through Nook.

Probably because many of those books are self-published through Amazon's self-publishing program. If an author chooses that route to publish his/her book, it won't be available through B&N unless they also publish it via either B&N's self-publishing program or another one.

Doesn't Amazon tie them in so that can't sell to others? Curious as don't know for sure but thought I read something along those lines?

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If you sign up for the KDP Select program you give Amazon exclusive access to your book for 90 days (that "automatically renews") as well as the ability for Amazon set the price they charge for the book by fiat. And even though they offer a 70% royalty rate, they always skim some extra off the top for "delivery costs" (because sending a 2MB file over WiFi is HARD).

I'm still trying to figure out why people do it. They have a normal 70% royalty option that doesn't force exclusivity.

New User
SchaefferRocks
0 Kudos

Because eReaders and Tablets made by Kobo do.

The Android platform running Kobo's readers allows apps for Kindle and Nook (just like an iPad).

Kobo has positioned itself as the book-loving, reader-friendly, open-source device that allows you to sideload anything you want.

This will endear Kobo customers to Kobo. It will take reader sales from Kindle and Nook. But it will continue to allow sales of Kindle and Nook eBooks. It's a win-win-win for everyone.

That's why.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Adding some datapoints regarding free books.

1) Firstly: None of the 'big' or 'established' authors ever offer free books. So the illusion that there is some store where you can get Stephen King free on Monday, Cromwell on Tuesday, Koontz on Wednesday should be put to rest.

2) Secondly: There is one set of free offers that are the same in nearly all stores.

These are the ones we get on B&N i.e. Some Romance titles from mid-level publishers, the occasional Big 6 Title to promote a new release by the same author, Lots of Christian Titles, lots of Business titles.

All you have to do to get these is

a) Check Mobile Read.

b) Check the free books thread at this forum -http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Book-Discussion/Free-NOOKbook-summary-thread-please-no-O...

c) Get our Free Books Buddy App if you are on Color or Tablet.

Between these 3 resources you'll find a majority of the free books offered via B&N.

3) Thirdly: Amazon's 'Lending Library' and Select programs mop up the indie authors, including the good and very good ones.

Amazon says to them: Give us an exclusive and we'll let you offer your book free for 5 days.

Authors like it because 'Free' = Free Marketing.

Authors also like the Lending Program. Where they get something like $1 or $2 per book 'loan'.

So that means nearly all indie authors, including good ones, tie themselves up with Amazon.

Gradually, there is an awareness that the benefits are somewhat fading. However, it's still going to take a year or two before there's a result.

Either

A) Indie Authors will decide it's OK to have 10,000 people read their books for free to get 100 to 1000 paid sales.

That it's also OK to get $1 or $2 per book 'loan'.

OR

B) Indie Authors will want more.

I suspect for good indie authors, the latter.

3b) B&N has its own 'Select' INdies program.

I've seen indies do very well on B&N sales rankings. So indie authors can choose the Amazon exclusive with the lending revenues and the 'free marketing' of giving away their book OR they can choose both Nook and Kindle stores.

However, B&N can't compete and might not want to compete with all the 'Free' movement by Amazon.

4) Amazon has an associate program.

B&N has an affiliate program.

Problem is that Amazon sells 5 billion things and B&N sells mostly books.

So there are lots and lots of websites devoted to unearthing all free book offers and curating.

There's almost none for Nook because there's no money.

That adds to the disparity.

5) Finally, and this is the answer you might not like, is whether it makes sense for B&N to focus on customers who want free books.

Amazon - customers come for free books. They buy other things. They buy paid books, etc.

B&N - customers come for free books. What else is there to buy?

I've heard from lots of people who sell books and apps and while this might not be you, the majority of people who want free books or free apps, don't want to pay for ANYTHING.

Amazon has a very long-term vision of SOMETHING. Who knows what.

Amazon's lifetime profit (yes, lifetime) is less than the 1 year profit of companies like Apple and Microsoft.

So they are experts at the long game. They figure that theywill eventually make profit even from the 'free books' people.

B&N can't take that risk.

6) Hypothetically, let's say that there is a Bell Curve:

People who want just paid books but want good choices and ease of use etc.

Peopel who want just paid books but want good rates.

People who want only deals and will pay full price for some books.

People who want deals and free books and will pay full price for some books.

People who want only deals and free books.

People who want free books and will pay full price for some books.

People who want just free books.

My guess would be that B&N could survive compeltely just on the first 3 categories. Furthermore, that 80% of its revenues and 180% of its profits are already coming from people in those 3 categories.

So B&N might actually be happy for Amazon to take all the customers who want 'lots of free books'.

7) Please Note: I'm just stating data points.

In another niche I used to run a site and one of the things sold was luxury watches. My commission would be 50 pounds per watch sold (roughly $70).

Now, if we contrast that with paid books and free books and deals, it would take -

70 sales of $10 books.

700 sales of $1 books.

Infinite Sales of $0 books.

To make the same as one sale of a luxury watch.

I suspect B&N arrived at a similar conclusion. That focusing on free book sales makes no sense because it takes 'Infinite Sales' of free books to make even $1.

New User
Halbert

I have a nook Tablet, and the big downside for me is not every ebook I want is available through Barnes&Noble but sometimes are available through Amazon. Now if I want to read the eBooks I have at Amazon I have to use my android cellphone. The one point that stopped my interest in the nook HD+ was no access to the Google Play store, i.e.. no Kindle app.

This is a good reason to allow your competitor's app to be used on your product. Because otherwise I will keep my nook Tablet and buy a straight android tablet just so I can access both B&N and Amazon. But now I learn that the nook HD+ has the Google Play store, so I will be upgrading to the HD+.

Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP
0 Kudos

According to the web page on free nook books

www.barnesandnoble.com/ufreeebooks

they have 1852044 free books (61735 pages at 30 to a page.

Are you sure you can't find any free books at B&N? I find plenty.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

bobstro
0 Kudos

NSFW: Free NOOK books

[ Edited ]
MacMcK1957 wrote:
I couldn't get that link to work but this one does: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s?FMT=ebook&PRC=0&sort=SA&startat=1&store=ebook&view=grid

Gee, thanks Mac. I don't have time to look at it now, but I'll be sure to forward it to my kids...

*AUGH!*  :smileyhappy:

Need to put a "NSFW" warning on that link!

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Re: NSFW: Free NOOK books

[ Edited ]
Yeah, some of it is definitely NSFW. I've taken a look at a few and, in general, would have to say that most free erotica is worth what you pay for it. And some of it is traditional romance, a bunch of vampire and werewolf stuff, some stuff that is actually sample chapters from full-length works. You need to sort through a lot of dreck when reviewing free entries.
Bibliophile
bklvr896

Re: NSFW: Free NOOK books

MacMcK1957 wrote:
Yeah, some of it is definitely NSFW. I've taken a look at a few and, in general, would have to say that most free erotica is worth what you pay for it. And some of it is traditional romance, a bunch of vampire and werewolf stuff, some stuff that is actually sample chapters from full-length works. You need to sort through a lot of dreck when reviewing free entries.

Yes, but you can filter the search by typing in 0.00 mystery or 0.00 science fiction, etc.  That helps.