Reader 2
Jean-and-John
0 Kudos

Kindle App?

Does the new and improved Nook Color software allow you to download the Android Kindle app and run it successfully?

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

Re: Kindle App?

no

Jean-and-John wrote:

Does the new and improved Nook Color software allow you to download the Android Kindle app and run it successfully?

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

Nope.  I wonder if the ad-infested Kindle "with features" will host ads for Barnes & Noble?

Contributor
zgirlse
0 Kudos

I'm always amazed by this question.  Why would B&N offer this?  That's allowing THEIR customers access to their competitor.  If I was B&N I wouldn't offer the app either.

Inspired Correspondent
cfbush2000

[ Edited ]

Well, here's a reason.  A Kindle user walks into a Barns & Noble store. (Have you heard this one?)  He is accosted by the NOOK demo guy, and, surprise, he really likes the NOOK.  So he whips out his credit card, then he stops!:smileyindifferent:

"I have over 500 books on my Kindle, some are reference books, I want to have them with me, can the NOOKcolor let me read them?  NO, but I really want a reader's tablet.   I just can't justify switching now, with all those books I've invested  in.":smileysad:

So, he puts his credit card away and walks dejectedly from the store.   It happened to me, except the walking away part, cause I got no self control.  I bought me a NOOKcolor! :smileyvery-happy:

But I really would like to be able to have access to my Kindle books.:smileywink:

Being able to read your large Kindle library might be incentive to buy a NOOKcolor, and BN would gain a customer, sell a device and all his/her future books. :smileyhappy:

Reader 4
dji27

Perhaps a "Kindle reader" program without the ability to purchase Kindle books would be a way to grandfather in Kindle owners (like myself) who are looking to make the change.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

dji27 wrote:

Perhaps a "Kindle reader" program without the ability to purchase Kindle books would be a way to grandfather in Kindle owners (like myself) who are looking to make the change.

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

Inspired Correspondent
cfbush2000
0 Kudos

I'm in.

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

dji27 wrote:

Great idea but I can't see Amazon developers working with B&N to create this app since B&N vets it apps first. There's no benefit at all for Amazon to let B&N customers have read only access to their books (and not be able to buy more). And there is certainly no incentive for B&N to allow its customers to buy books from Amazon.

Maybe some third-party developer will come up with a program someday that will convert Kindle books to epub so they can be sideloaded to Nooks.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

dfehling wrote:

dji27 wrote:

Great idea but I can't see Amazon developers working with B&N to create this app since B&N vets it apps first. There's no benefit at all for Amazon to let B&N customers have read only access to their books (and not be able to buy more). And there is certainly no incentive for B&N to allow its customers to buy books from Amazon.

Maybe some third-party developer will come up with a program someday that will convert Kindle books to epub so they can be sideloaded to Nooks.

They already have. It's called Autonooter.

Wordsmith
Droiddict
0 Kudos

They already have. It's called Autonooter.

Every time I see one of these topics, I want to say "just root it" but after the reset mess and the problems with blocking updates, it isn't as easy an answer as it used to be.  All I can say is I still have root and have B&N, Google books, Kindle and Audible so that I can access content that I have paid for.  I will continue to buy new books from B&N as long as they don't mess things up and force me to go beyond just rooting. Love my Nook so far!

Contributor
tollertwins
0 Kudos

Main reason I rooted, too. I have a PILE of books on Kindle.

And right now I'm reading Kindle waiting for the OTA update for the Nook to stop so that I can go back to buying B&N books.

Contributor
GreenVerde82
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Lol. You guys are funny. It's almost as if BN isn't a company needing to make money. Even an app that can only read amazon books would still be able to read amazon books bought and sideloaded. I really like my nook. I am not going to sabotage my enjoyment of it by whining about how I can't read its COMPETITORS books on it. I have/had a 2nd gen kindle, and my nook color gets way more use. My nook color is the much better value (for all it does). Any of the amz books I have on my kindle will stay there, for when I need to read them..I just take it as my mistake for not buy a nook instead. To complain that BN isn't trying to fix my mistake is ridiculous to me.

-Being honest begins with being it with yourself.
-The mind is like a mirror with which you are viewing yourself, the question is whether the mirror is a fun house mirror or a regular mirror. Either way the reflection is always slightly off.
Reader
shugarmama
0 Kudos

I bought a nook colour...rooted it and got the best of android there is to offer....I un-rooted it and i now run cyanogemnod on my nook colour from the sd card and I have both barnes and nobles and kindle books..... Plus the ability to play free games such as angry birds, plummer and alot more.. I also have kobo books. Most people in the Caribbean doesn't know what a nook is but they know about kindle. U can access kindle from your pc or any electronic gadget that has the ability to download the kindle app. Although barnes and nobles has this app, its not available for all electronic gadgets which makes kindle seem more worthy.  The kindle fire to me has one downfall -  the lack of an sd card slot.  If barnes and nobles and Amazon come together and provide access to each others books, we as consumers can lend books to each other and also purchase books for both apps which would benefit both parties........ If i feel to purchase a book on barnes and nobles, I should have the ability to red it on my kindle fire.... and vice versa. 

Wordsmith
BruceMcF

[ Edited ]

Droiddict wrote:

Every time I see one of these topics, I want to say "just root it" but after the reset mess and the problems with blocking updates, it isn't as easy an answer as it used to be.

Since this is an old thread that's been brought back to the front, a note that xda-developers now have multiple versions of Nook Color rooter scripts, with and without update blocking, without and without sd2apps support (for sd2apps support you also need one of the modded Kernels), so its not an issue so long as you pick an update blocking version of the stock Nook Color rooting script and wait until the rooting issues have been sorted out on the next update (if there is a next update) before updating manually.

These simply root the stock system, so the Nook reader app is still there, but you can go to the Google Play store and download the Kindle reader as well.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

And then there's always the option of using a dual boot card which doesn't involve any kind of rooting at all. You could visit the XDA forums and learn how to do your own (I think) or use either an N2A (http://n2acards.com/) or an AFN one (http://www.androidfornook.com/product-info). Read your Kindle books on the Android side of the card and your Nook books on the stock side (or the Android side too if you prefer). 

Contributor
pioneercynthia

Having a Kindle app wouldn't even be an issue with me if B&N would just put more free books out there. Every single day I can get over a dozen free and interesting Kindle books (yes, Real books, by Real authors), and I'm sure I'm not hearing about all of them.

I always check to see if B&N is running the same deal, and except for ONE time, they're not.

I probably buy one book for every three free ones I get. Yes, I'm getting a lot of free books, but those books have led me to things I then bought.

B&N is NEVER going to compete with Amazon in sales until they pull their head out and get real. And PUH-LEEZE, when I can go into the store, and buy a book on the discount table for less than I can get it on the Nook site, why would I ever buy a Nook book?

Don't get me wrong, I love the Nook. I have more than a 1,000 books on it. I use it Every Single Day. But come ON, people.

audentis Fortuna iuvat ~Virgil
kmz
Frequent Contributor
kmz
0 Kudos

pioneercynthia wrote:

Having a Kindle app wouldn't even be an issue with me if B&N would just put more free books out there. Every single day I can get over a dozen free and interesting Kindle books (yes, Real books, by Real authors), and I'm sure I'm not hearing about all of them.

I always check to see if B&N is running the same deal, and except for ONE time, they're not.

This is where Calibre comes in handy. I grab the freebie from Amazon (after making sure I can send it to Kindle on my PC), then once it's downloaded, I add it to Calibre and twist it to epub for the Nook. 

Neither B&N nor Amazon will ever make it easy to convert, as they both want you betrothed to their ecosystems.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Are the freebie Amazon books usually DRM-encumbered? If not, that makes the whole process even easier for beginners using Calibre.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980
0 Kudos

pioneercynthia wrote:

I probably buy one book for every three free ones I get. Yes, I'm getting a lot of free books, but those books have led me to things I then bought.

B&N is NEVER going to compete with Amazon in sales until they pull their head out and get real. And PUH-LEEZE, when I can go into the store, and buy a book on the discount table for less than I can get it on the Nook site, why would I ever buy a Nook book?

Don't get me wrong, I love the Nook. I have more than a 1,000 books on it. I use it Every Single Day. But come ON, people.

I was going to write a long post about economics, margins, remainders, and the slew of other reasons Amazon can afford to throw money away that BN can't, but I realized that nothing I bother typing on this forum is ever even considered by the Walmart crowd.

I'm going to go make nachos instead. Cheers, gents!