Distinguished Correspondent
peppyauntie121
0 Kudos

LANDSCAPE MODE

Okay, so my books are now showing in either vertical or horizontal.... portrait or landscape, BUT in landscape (horizontal) there are two columns, each taking up half the screen. This happens with both purchased books and borrowed library books. I mean, what's the point of landscape if only half the screen is used at a time? Anyone know if there's a way to have one column only straight across the screen in landscape? thanks...
Inspired Contributor
BeachCatFan
0 Kudos

Re: LANDSCAPE MODE

peppyauntie121 wrote:
Okay, so my books are now showing in either vertical or horizontal.... portrait or landscape, BUT in landscape (horizontal) there are two columns, each taking up half the screen. This happens with both purchased books and borrowed library books. I mean, what's the point of landscape if only half the screen is used at a time? Anyone know if there's a way to have one column only straight across the screen in landscape? thanks...

Does it have anything  to do with the book you are reading, maybe? Mine didn't have the two columns when I tried it out.............it just shows up as one page in landscape mode.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy

Mess with the font size.
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Contributor
BeachCatFan
0 Kudos

phoneboy wrote:
Mess with the font size.

Maybe that's it. I use a very large font............the main reason I bought an eReader in the first place :smileyhappy: Vision problems cause me to need large font and changing the line spacing...........if not for that, I'd be reading paperbacks and library books :smileysad:

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to complain about how landscape mode was implemented.  I can only say that that's the way it works for me using the Nook app in Android mode.  Which is why I never cared for it.

roustabout
0 Kudos

Well, if I stick with fbreader, I stick with fbreader, but it would be too bad if there wasn't a setting override available on this.  There was such an override available on at least one of the Nook app variants I used recently.  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
peppyauntie121
0 Kudos

BFCoughlin wrote:

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to complain about how landscape mode was implemented.  I can only say that that's the way it works for me using the Nook app in Android mode.  Which is why I never cared for it.

---------------------------------------------------------- First, thank you Phoneboy. Fonts are an excellent suggestion. I appreciate your good ideas. To BF Coughlin, you can still wonder about how long before someone complains about landscape. I'm not complaining, just inquiring if anyone had a similar experience and if so, what they may have done. And if two columns are the norm, is there something I'm missing.
Ohbjuan
0 Kudos

I tried changing the font size, the font, and margins and nothing helped. I still get two columns as well. I would use landscape if it was just one column, but don't get the point if it is two. Who the heck programmed it that way? I don't get it. The whole point is to have each line go all the way across the screen.

Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Phoneboy's idea was what I did, and it cleared the problem for me. (I also flipped  orientation a few times, and flipped pages) Sorry I didnt mention that in my "thank you"  post, but I didnt want to be seen in any way to be complaining, as some of the supercritics seem to be accusing others of.

Contributor
BookNut
0 Kudos

I like reading my magazines in landscape mode, but I know I would NOT like to read my books that way.  Can I turn it off for just books?

"It all started with a Mouse." ~Walt Disney
Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT

You can hit the pad lock icon in the lower right corner so it does not switch around on you.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I just tried Pride and Prejudice, and I find that I need to have the font size (Georgia) dialed up to the third or larger font before it goes to one page of landscape display.

Some of this may also be driven by things like publisher defaults depending on the book. 

It feels as if it may well be book-dependent, and it may require increasing fonts in some books to get it to go to single page. 

Yep, it's book-dependent.  In another book, I need to dial the font to the second-from-the-largest setting before it goes into single page view. 

I hope this is something that can be polished up a bit without a huge amount of additional work, but it's nice to see the feature delivered all the same. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Ohbjuan
0 Kudos

robert93 wrote:

Phoneboy's idea was what I did, and it cleared the problem for me. (I also flipped  orientation a few times, and flipped pages) Sorry I didnt mention that in my "thank you"  post, but I didnt want to be seen in any way to be complaining, as some of the supercritics seem to be accusing others of.

You changed the font size and it went to one column? What font and size are you using?

Correspondent
SkipperT
0 Kudos

Incredible!  With the most rickety eReader I ever had (Augen The Book), landscape would reformat every line to the full width of the screen and break words in the correct place - beautifully and instantly!

Phoneboy - what's the secret font that makes this happen?

Otherwise, I'm really chuffed with the upgrade!

A man who doesn't read has no advantage over one who can't read. - Mark Twain (paraphrased)
Ohbjuan
0 Kudos

Ok, on the largest font it went to one column. That font is way too big for me. Other than the landscape mode being weird, I am happy with the update.

Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

Roustabout is right, it varies book to book.  One book I came across created a right margin at center screen, talk about wasted real estate....but, its a start.

Correspondent
KnitKicky
0 Kudos

Phoneboy: Thank you!! I also noticed the dreaded 2 columns last night. I like the idea of landscape so I can read while charging without worrying about bumping the cord, but two columns is a pain!   I will try your suggestion tonight.

phoneboy
0 Kudos

KnitKicky wrote:

Phoneboy: Thank you!! I also noticed the dreaded 2 columns last night. I like the idea of landscape so I can read while charging without worrying about bumping the cord, but two columns is a pain!   I will try your suggestion tonight.

Thats the main reason I wanted landscape.

Just gonna have to adjust fonts on books as needed when reading while charging.

:smileyhappy:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
New User
lionkingLK
0 Kudos

I had the same problem. The 2 column feature in my opinion is horrible. A workaround is to go to settings --> reader settings and change the font size to a larger size (e.g.15). This will force the system to place the text in a single column.