Frequent Contributor
JesseB
0 Kudos

Lending...

I friend and I lent each other a book last night to just see how it worked.  It was pretty simple to do, just used the lend me app in the extras, the hard part came when we wanted to return the books to each other, there doesn't appear to be a way to do this from the nookcolor itself other than going into the web browser, logging into your account, going to your library and clicking 'return' by the borrowed book.  Am I missing something here?  I called Tech Support on the issue and he didn't seem to be of much help, infact I had figured out the above before I got off of hold after he couldn't figure anything out initially...

If there is a way to lend native to the nook, there should be a way to return as well I would think.....

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: Lending...

@JesseB,

There is no way to return from the device (NOOKcolor) early. You can only return only from the web site by signing into your account and library on-line.

FYI.

Frequent Contributor
JesseB
0 Kudos

Good to know, any plans on changing this?  Seems kinda wierd to be able to lend from the device but not return.

Contributor
Lacey628
0 Kudos

I sent a book back that I had borrowed.  I have only done it once, but I think I just clicked on the book and a menu popped up that had several choices, and I checked the one that said return the book to owner.  Try that and see if it goes back.  I love my Nook Color.  Have had absolutely no problems with it.

Frequent Contributor
JesseB
0 Kudos

Are you sure?  There was no option to do that for me, and Micheal-V says that there is no way to do it from the Nook....

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

I would love toknow how you got the Lend Me featrue to work.  I described my problem withit here:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/I-have-a-question-about-the-Lendi...

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@JesseB,

That's correct for NOOKcolor.

There is no way to return from the device early. You can only return only from the web site by signing into your account and library on-line.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@cbtengr,

The NOOKcolor lending feature does work.  There may be an isolated issue but the feature does work.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

I didn't make a blanket statement that it doesn't work.  Others have reported success with it, so I accept that this may be a rare occurrance.  Please re-read my post.  I said that MY attempt to use it failed and that there was poor documentation regarding the feature.  In addition, neither my local B&N, nor the telephone help could figure it out.  The first person who anwered my call suggested trying to lend more books.  I don't consider that a very good solution.  The best they could do was reset the book to unlent status. 

I'm not trying make this into a big deal, but don't just tell me to RTM.  I've done that and am more familiar with the content than most of employees at my local B&N.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Regarding the lending feature on NOOKcolor...

If the person is in their Library on NOOKcolor the lent book will appear there with a banner stating "Lent To You".  When they tap the NOOKbook a radio button on the right side will appear stating "See Offer" (tap it).

At this point they can either Accept or Decline the offer by tapping the appropriate radio button.

If the offer is not showing up at all, confirm that the WiFi connection is on.  If it is, I would advise turning the WiFi off then turning it back on.  Choose the strongest signal and let it connect.  Go back to the Library on NOOKcolor and check for new B&N content (the refresh button on the lower right side).

I hope this helps.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks Michael, We tried all that you suggest, but nothing worked. We were in the same room during this test, only a few feet from the router, WiFi connected on both. I just didn't work for some unknown reason.

Tech support was kind enough to restore the book to it's original Lend Me status. I'll give it another try with a different book next week.

Thank you for describing what should appear on the borrower's Nook. This was a first try for both of us so we didn't know where to look for the offer. It never appeared in her library and the User Guide doesn't give much detail as to what the borrower should see or where to look.

I have a Sync button on the lower left in Library view, don't see anything on the right.

Reader 2
cer-2
0 Kudos

I just got over Christmas so not an expert here.

With your email address used for nook, friends can lend to you (click book's "LendMe" icon and input address).  

To see each other's Nook libraries of possibilities allowing you to request a specific book, fouind several places (not sure which finally took allowing me to successfully use lendme):

On the nook device itself, under "Extras" choose "Contacts" and put in email contacts of friends you will be loaning/borrowing from.  To make your library viewable, under "Extras" choose "Lend Me" and the funky little icon at upper right will be for "settings" -- under that, check that you want your books to be viewable to contacts and you can choose to hide or show individual books.  A friend can lend you a nook book with your email address but will also have to setup their Nook settings ("Extras" "LendMe" settings icon) to show their books before you can browse or request their items.

On the bn website, under "My Account" setup your Nook Library and/or "My BN" to publicize books wanted.

On nook device I also set it up to connect to facebook which will allow you to pull in facebook contacts and loan books back and forth -- I connected to facebook and was able to upload reading progress and such just fine but haven't tried the lend me stuff yet because the real life friends I share books back and forth with aren't on facebook.