Frequent Contributor
gheid45
0 Kudos

Life after Life by Kate Atkinson

Does Barnes and Noble realize the the price at Amazon is $2.25 LESS for Kate Atkinson's ebook, Life After Life? Wake up, you are pricing yourselves out of the market Barnes and Noble.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

Re: Life after Life by Kate Atkinson

[ Edited ]

gheid45 wrote:

Does Barnes and Noble realize the the price at Amazon is $2.25 LESS for Kate Atkinson's ebook, Life After Life? Wake up, you are pricing yourselves out of the market Barnes and Noble.

Life After Life is currently showing "Sales rank: 12", and is outselling every title on the New York Times bestseller list (well, it's about tied with Harlan Coben's Six Years). That tells me that B&N is doing darned fine at selling it at the $14.99 price, and that particular title is making B&N about twice the profit-per-sale that Amazon is getting.

Pricing for maximum profit is not the same as pricing for maximum sales volume.

Frequent Contributor
gheid45

And I will exercise my right as a consumer to purchase it from Amazon and  use my kindle app for a $2.25 savings which I will put toward another book.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980

gheid45 wrote:

And I will exercise my right as a consumer to purchase it from Amazon and  use my kindle app for a $2.25 savings which I will put toward another book.

Which is your perogative. Enjoy shopping at Wal Mart your entire life.

Distinguished Correspondent
celandinehobbit

I've noticed the pricing difference between B&N and Amazon, but I choose to buy from the former still. The service from B&N is wonderful and I don't have any problems syncing between the app on my phone/media player and my HD devices. Also, what might seem trivial to some, I love the animated page turns which B&N utilizes. I showed it to my niece the other day and she just giggled up a storm. Just proves I'm not the only one who gets a kick out of it. Paying a few extra dollars for an item is miniscule when you're a satisfied customer and enjoy immensely the reading experience you get as well. 

Frequent Contributor
gheid45

Fyingtoastr, I've noticed before that you like to end your postings rather nastily. Grow up, post your relevant reply and leave off your personal comments.
Distinguished Correspondent
celandinehobbit

Just thought I'd let you know that B&N has dropped the price of this book to $7.49. Seems Amazon has done the same, either to price match or whatever. Enjoy and buy from B&N now without any problems.

Life after Life

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb

The preceeding post highlights what bugs me whenever one of these threads appears. No one company has the lowest price on everything all the time. To do so would mean horrible service and support, abusive labor practices or bankruptcy. On any given day I can find some titles priced higher on Amazon. It would be nice if posters would refrain from drawing such broad conclusions, including over the top, this is why BN will fold, and other dramatic statements. After all unless you are willing to compile price listings by category for all books sold by both firms you really don't know how much difference there is.
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

So as of 5 minutes ago, other store pricing is:

Kobo   $14.99 (Publisher: Reagan Arthur)

Sony   $13.19  (Publisher: Reagan Arthur)

Google $12.74 (Publisher: Hachette Digital)

Amazon $7.49 (Sold by Hachette Book Group)

B&N $7.49 (Sold by Hachette Digital) 

If you access the book details from the B&N website, there is a "Sale Big Weekend NookBook Sale" right below the cover.  (You have to go to the ebook version to see this.) 

So my questions are this:

1) Has any body seen this icon before? 

2) If you go to the NookBook section of the website, it seems there is a large nookbook sale this weekend - 50% off 1000 top nook books

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/NOOK-Book-eBook-store/379003094

Also seems to be accessible from the store on the Nook HD+.  (Note, the "most popular" titles seems to include a lot of free --- it didn't even register with me this morning as apparently I have a lot of them already.)

But has anyone remembered B&N doing a big nookbook sale before? 

3) The publisher of the dtb is Little,Brown & Co which is owned by Hachette, which is one of the publishers that settled with the DOJ.  Do you think that this means that the agency agreement is over for them and that the "fun" pricing has begun? 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

NookGardener, I've seen '100 Titles under $3.99' sales the last two months (and also this month I think).

Never seen such a large sale.

Might be due to Agency Model. Thanks for sharing about the sale. Will take a look later today.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

NookGardener wrote:

2) If you go to the NookBook section of the website, it seems there is a large nookbook sale this weekend - 50% off 1000 top nook books

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/NOOK-Book-eBook-store/379003094

Damn.  Just when I was starting to make some progress through my backlog of downloaded books.  A number of these books I can't pass up at these prices.

keriflur
0 Kudos

It appears that Hachette has gone back to the wholesale model for ebooks.

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

Required Ebook Pricing

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:

It appears that Hachette has gone back to the wholesale model for ebooks.

As required by its settlement with the DoJ, Hachette abandoned Required Ebook Pricing four months ago.

Hachette, HarperCollins, and Simon & Schuster — the three publishers that settled immediately — have been allowing booksellers to discount for months now.

Macmillan's new contracts reportedly kicked in just yesterday.

Penguin has settled with the DoJ, but it appears that new contracts aren't yet in place.

Random House can continue to use Required Ebook Pricing until it merges with Penguin.

Smashwords probably will continue to use Required Ebook Pricing for the foreseeable future.

To be picky: it's not wholesale vs. agency. All of those publishers are still using agency model, reportedly with the same 30% commission to the retailer. What's gone away is Required Ebook Pricing. Another casualty of the new contracts is the Most Favored Nation clause.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Required Ebook Pricing

Doug_Pardee wrote:
To be picky: it's not wholesale vs. agency. All of those publishers are still using agency model, reportedly with the same 30% commission to the retailer. What's gone away is Required Ebook Pricing. Another casualty of the new contracts is the Most Favored Nation clause.

Do you know for a fact that they are all still using agency?  Or that they're still using a 30% commission?

I've only checked a handful of the Hachette books, but for those that I've checked, the "list" prices are quite a bit higher than they used to be, and B&N is marking them down a full 50%, something that AFAIK they cannot do under an agency contract with a 30% commission.
Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

Re: Required Ebook Pricing

keriflur wrote:
Do you know for a fact that they are all still using agency?  Or that they're still using a 30% commission?

As well as anyone who doesn't have access to the actual contracts does, yes, I know that they're still using agency model. Publishers Weekly says so, and the listing pages still say "Sold by: Hachette Digital, Inc." or whomever. Additionally, switching back to the wholesale model would've made another mess of sales tax collection, and the DoJ settlement provides more latitude for publishers who continued to use agency model in the new contracts — besides which, Required Ebook Pricing will probably be back in two years — so there's good reason to stick with it.

The 30% is, as I noted in my posting, merely what's been bandied about. There's been no indication at all that the commission rate has changed.

B&N is marking them down a full 50%, something that AFAIK they cannot do under an agency contract with a 30% commission.

They can mark them down however much they want, but the publishers probably have included a restriction in their contracts that the total markdowns for all titles from the publisher over the course of a year cannot exceed total commissions due. In other words, per publisher, selling at an overall annual loss is not permitted.

Notice that this sale is for only one weekend, which leaves plenty of other days to make up the losses. And there are plenty of other titles from each publisher on which to make up the losses.