Frequent Contributor
Joydeck
0 Kudos

Limited Web Browsing does work!

[ Edited ]

Are you, like me, one of the few who, from time to time, uses your Nook Simple Touch (unrooted) for limited web browsing?  If so, what have you learned and what are your positive experiences?  Other threads on web browsing tend to dwell on negative aspects of the Nook.

I've a new NST with firmware 1.1.2.  For all the use I’d make of the Internet, rooting for now seems too much trouble, both before and after.  When reading, I sometimes wish to access the web for a few minutes without leaving my comfy chair.  For instance: just to check the weather radar or forecast, the exchange rate, my shares, the news, nutrition research, literature forum, an online dictionary or acronym finder, the Bible, Shakespeare, Wikipedia, Google, Facebook or Twitter. 

Surprisingly, the Nook seems able to do this with few problems.  Since there’s no back button, I'm more or less constrained to stay on one web site, which is often good enough.  For instance, I can navigate endlessly inside Wiki, Al Jazeera, Lit Net Forums, Science and Nutrition Studies, the Bible, or Open Source Shakespeare.

One of several methods of accessing the hidden and (since firmware 1.1.0) crippled web browser is given in: Browse-Web-even-after-1-1-0-update.  Have you a tip or two for fellow Nook browsers?

Frequent Contributor
Joydeck

Re: Limited Web Browsing does work!

[ Edited ]

And here are my web browsing tips for an unrooted NST with firmware 1.1.2:

• Turn the wireless on manually by double clicking where the wireless icon sits on the top bar.  Don’t rely on the default that sometimes hides the keyboard completely.
  • To double click, first press the link for two seconds.
  • If the screen of the Nook freezes, very slowly shuffle a finger along an edge without hyperlinks and/or press twice the Nook button to enliven the screen and restore the Internet.  Repeat as necessary.
  • When you select and type into a text-entry area and your typing doesn’t show, as sometimes happens, continue to type carefully assuming that entry is occurring – this works for me. 
  • While browsing the web, if you touch a text-entry area for 5 seconds, an Edit Text menu appears at centre of the screen, which allows Copy and Paste
  • Google kindly prompts me for search strings, which often works in the absence of bookmarking.  Better still, I’ve created a simple web page of favourite bookmarks using Awardspace that I access from the Google search bar with my_login_name.atwebpages.  I usually Paste the search string into Google.
  • For mobile Facebook, search for m.fb in Google; for mobile Twitter, search for m.tw in Google.
  • To enter a URL, search for ass.proxy in Google.
  • Remember, there is no Back button or equivalent.

Have you tips worth sharing?

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

Well, live and learn. I've had the NST for a bit over a week. Thanks for this info.
Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Joydeck wrote:

• Turn the wireless on manually by double clicking where the wireless icon sits on the top bar.  Don’t rely on the default that sometimes hides the keyboard completely.

Not wanting to seem stupid (ooops!  Too late!) but what wireless icon on what top bar of what screen?  I can't figure out what this means at all.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

Joydeck wrote:

Not wanting to seem stupid (ooops!  Too late!) but what wireless icon on what top bar of what screen?  I can't figure out what this means at all.

LOL. This post taught me something too.

I knew that when wireless is on and you navigate to the settings or library screens, a wireless icon appears in the top bar directly to the left of the battery icon. Tapping it brings up a Quick Settings dialog where you can turn wireless off.

What I didn't know was that tapping that same spot with wireless off (and therefore no visible icon) will also bring up the Quck Settings dialog and let you quickly turn wireless on.

It only works on Settings, Library, and Home, AFAIK, not while reading. (If you go to Store with wireless off, it will prompt you to turn it on.)

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson