Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture

List Cool New Apps for the Nook Tablet

[ Edited ]

Here is starting a thread listing some of the cool Apps I've picked up recently  or discovered on the Nook Tablet recently (in no particular order)... Share your own lists here! :smileyhappy:

1. Dropbox: obviously, we were waiting for this one... It was up and working on the Nook Color so only a matter of time... It's Free... :smileytongue:

2. Puffin Web Browser: in case you missed it the last couple weeks, this is the first new web browser to be added to the Nook Tablet... Although it's the "free" version and is missing some features (like Flash player), it has certain pluses over the stock web browser on the Tablet, and presumably the full version of Puffin will come out... The browser's pluses are *tabs* (opening multiple pages), opening full pages rather than mobile sites... This browser is actually a "cloud assisted" browser, similar to the Kindle Fire's "silk browser"... Meaning that the browser does some of the work for you on their servers... Whether you like that or not (for privacy reasons) it's interesting that BN seems to be treating the browser the same as PDF readers, etc.  If you have Puffin installed, it gives you an option whenever you access a webpage from an app or from the web button to choose either the stock browser or Puffin (and you can set whichever you like as your default)... Same as how the PDF reader works for example on the Nook Tablet... I've set Puffin and EZPDF reader as my defaults! :smileyhappy:  Hopefully this means more competing browsers in the store to come!

3. Woven Photo Viewer: Just discovered this free app (no ads)!  It aggregates all your web photo accounts (including Facebook, Flickr, Dropbox, Picasa, Shutterfly) into one nice looking photo browsing interface on the Nook Tablet. And you can even view the photos while *offline*... So it syncs while you are connected to wifi, and then you can look at them later from wherever you are! Why even use up SD storage if you can see them all via an app?

4. StumbleUpon: Another cool free app I found yesterday.  You create an account, and add your interests, and basically what this app does is aggregate news on your interests (similar to say Taptu), except in a more interesting way... It doesn't focus on just catering news based on sites, instead it is set up to basically allow you to "serendipitously" discover cool new webpages and articles etc. that are randomly found based on your interests preferences... When a new site pops up, you thumbs up or thumbs down it, and it learns what you are into, and refines it's "stumble" based on your tastes... Cool concept, it's sort of like Pandora but for discovering random cool web posts customized to your interests... Like Pandora meets Digg...

5. Wikinvest Portfolio: This app aggregates all your online investment / brokerage accounts into one place so you can view and trade on your accounts in one place... (etrade, fidelity, scott trade, etc.) It also aggregates news on the stocks your are following, and tracks market data etc... Basically this is the stock app that the Nook Tablet needed... It's a free app...

6. Lose It!: This app tracks your diet and set goals to lose weight... Counts calories and lets you meet a target... It's actually a database that includes info on foods. It's not just for people looking to lose weight, it's also a great app for eating healthy and creating a diet. It's also a free app...

7. TuneIn Radio Pro: Okay, this app costs $2.99 but it is totally awesome!  Okay and it's not really a new app... Came out around the time the Nook Tablet came out.  But I hadn't really seen how *totally awesome* it is... Basically it connects your Nook Tablet to like every online radio station out there... Hundreds... Maybe thousands?! Around the globe... You can hit "local stations" and it will show the local stations based on where you are... So for example, in Seattle, it will show KPLU, KEXP, etc... You can search by music vs. talk also... And you can also click "by location" and then you choose the continent, choose the country (say UK or Japan or whatever), and it shows a *ton of stations*... Awesome, totally worth the $3 IMHO...

8. Puzzle Quest 2: This game is not really what you might think... It's not a sort of casual puzzle game... It's more like a fantasy RPG with quests and stuff, animated... Like an adventure game, but plays on a touch screen... Saves your game etc. Pretty cool! It does take up quite a bit of memory though...

9. Spirit HD: This is a pretty cool touchscreen arcade game I picked up recently... It's sort of like a classic arcade style game like asteroids or space invaders, except it has cool new graphics, a bit retro arcade type music, and interesting effects on the touch screen... What you do is control this little ghost looking ship and draw loops around enemy invaders... When you close a loop, it creates this kind of force field that blows them up... Has some trippy graphic effects... Fun!

10. Ancestry.com: If you haven't used ancestry.com, it is basically a way of building your family tree, and discovering your family roots... The Nook App has a pretty clean nice interface... Works well... Also a free app...

11. PLEX: This one, I haven't yet downloaded... It costs $4.99... But I am looking at getting it later, just have to device when I plan on setting this up on my home computer... Basically what PLEX does is...  organizes all your music, videos, and other content on your PC at home, and lets you access them on your Tablet... Presents them all in a ncie interface, finds cover art images for your videos and albums etc... If I understand it correctly, it's basically it's like amazon cloud drive except you are storing it on your home computer rather than some other amazon server some place... Also, it has links to *top online video content sites* from the same interface... So you can get channelts like CNET, Youtube, Vimeo, Revision3 etc.!  Basically, even setting the media platform aspect asied, I would *love to have* an app that created a nice interface to watch Revision3, and CNET etc. from one place... But just kindof weighing the $4.99... Has good reviews...

12. TripLingo Apps: While there are also plenty of other language learning apps and phrasebooks on the Nook... Lonely Planet (for phrasebooks), Living Language (more like full on language courses), etc. TripLingo is a little different.. It's more of an app with smart filtering than just a phrasebook translated into an app.. For any phrase translation, it has a "slang slider" which teaches you how to say the same phrase in different levels of formality / casualness... Audio playback, searchable dictionaries, cultural context info... It lets you filter the number of flashcards you want to study based on how much time you have to study for a trip...

13. TripAdvisor Apps: These are *free* city guides! Restaurants, Self-Guided Tours, Attractions, Hotels, and and Interactive Map! Nice!  New York, Chicago, Washington DC, Las Vegas, Hawaii, Orlando, Boston, London, San Francisco, Paris, Los Angeles, Rome, Tokyo, Florence, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Hong Kong, Berlin, Beijing, Sydney... You cannot beat *free*... Well maybe you can, but it's one extra city guide you can get for free on your Nook as well... ;P

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

Re: List Cool New Apps for the Nook Tablet

Nice, except Puffin

How BN can claim they closed sideloading so unapproved apps can't get your CC# and then approves an app where your CC# will be on a 3rd party server (if you shop using the browser) is beyond me.

That is assuming BN even knows how Puffin works...

Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
True... Basically it's like the Silk Browser from Amazon... I think it's a matter of how much people feel cloud assisted web is risky... Of course you don't need to download it if you don't want, but I think what is an interesting development for me is the way the Nook Is handling web browsing... The firmware lets you choose the browser you want to use, just like how say for PDFs it lets me choose between the stock reader, quickoffice pro, or ez PDF when I open them... And let's you change what the default application is on your device... So even the "web button" on the main menu prompts you to select your browser until you check off the default browser... I am expecting new browser options coming soon... Maybe Dolphin? Also... Hopefully a new music player too!
Correspondent
MuseK

For those of you that liked The Secret of Grisly Manor,you will love Azada. Multiple levels an different types of puzzel. Where Griley manor was one level this has many more
Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
0 Kudos

Sweet! I liked Secret of Grisley Manor, except I finished it basically in one afternoon... Sort of old Sierra game / Lucasarts adventure game like...
Contributor
MooseDB
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reviews  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Muse....how do you exit Azada? I like the app a lot but I feel that when I select save and exit, it really does not shut down.

I contacted Big Fish and they were very nice in trying to figure it out, but were unable to explain how to do it or if in fact the game runs in the back ground until you shut your device.

Rob...I downloaded Lose It....I like it. Thx for the list.

Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture

Here's a couple more I just picked up... They are not free, wanted to test out the graphics on the Nook Tablet... Arcade type games that will show off what your Nook Tablet can do... Check out the Silver Tree Media games:

1. Cordy: a side scrolling "super mario" type adventure game... run and jump type... Something like supermario or sonic the hedgehog... works nice on the touchscreen, very nice graphics... 3D... Animates fast and smooth...

2. Sleepy Jack: basically it's an old style arcade shooter... 3D... Like a konami type flying shooter maybe but cartoony themed... move side to side and shoot stuff, collect power ups, etc.  Nice graphics, works well on the Nook Tablet touch screen...

Will report more once I've played these through a bit more...

Pretty nice, classic arcade style gaming on the Nook Tab...

Correspondent
MuseK

I am hoping this is shutting it down completely. I hit save and exit which takes be back to option page. I then hit the nook n to pull up home screen.seems like as in a lot of the puzzel apps this is the only way to shut down
Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy
0 Kudos

The Woven app is indeed really cool.  I connected to my Shutterfly account which has all of my photos on it, and I can see them all with this app from my NT.  A really good app that works well.  It would be nice if it kept the directory structure that I have on Shutterfly, but as long as I can see all my photos, I can't complain.

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Muse...Laurel for you :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Raging Thunder is a terrific arcade style racing game. When tween boys are giving parents fits during sessions I let them play it, OK I like to play it also. On occasion I have had kids on both my nooks, my phone and my xoom all playing it at the same time.
Frequent Contributor
kalmore
0 Kudos

Pulse News - You can add different sections of news you would like you view (up to 4) and add or remove different sources of it. Basically an RSS.

Nook Reader (Tablet) - 4.1.2 SD (Unfunctional)

Frequent Contributor
Lady_Mousie
0 Kudos

robotecture wrote:

Here is starting a thread listing some of the cool Apps I've picked up recently  or discovered on the Nook Tablet recently (in no particular order)... Share your own lists here! :smileyhappy:

7. TuneIn Radio Pro: Okay, this app costs $2.99 but it is totally awesome!  Okay and it's not really a new app... Came out around the time the Nook Tablet came out.  But I hadn't really seen how *totally awesome* it is... Basically it connects your Nook Tablet to like every online radio station out there... Hundreds... Maybe thousands?! Around the globe... You can hit "local stations" and it will show the local stations based on where you are... So for example, in Seattle, it will show KPLU, KEXP, etc... You can search by music vs. talk also... And you can also click "by location" and then you choose the continent, choose the country (say UK or Japan or whatever), and it shows a *ton of stations*... Awesome, totally worth the $3 IMHO...

TuneIn is fantastic - because I can't use Pandora( or Netflix for that matter) from where I live, this is a great alternative.   Brilliant radio stations

Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
0 Kudos

Just downloaded Azada as well as the other Big Fish Game, Atlantis Sky Patrol. Atlantis Sky Patrol is interesting, It's sort of a shooter... You move a little ship around at the bottom and target these little strings of balls... Collect parts for your "ship"... The graphics and sound effects are pretty nice... Looks definitely more polished than some other casual app games... Art looks very well drawn, painted like a kind of arcade or pinball game...
Frequent Contributor
tigger0229_
0 Kudos

i was going to get grisly manor. do you like?

Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
0 Kudos

Grisley manor is kind of fun... Reminds of old adventure games on the pc... It's not too long, but fun... For the price, 99 cents, it's definitely worth it if you're interested in adventure games, you can probably finish it in a weekend... The area of the game is not too large, but you have to look around each room and figure out how to use objects you find... Some clues and puzzles hidden in the scenes that help you figure out puzzles... I can see more of this type of game being popular... They've sort of fallen out of popularity with PCs.
Frequent Contributor
tigger0229_
0 Kudos

ok i'll definitely get. love this type game. i'm better at than arcade games. lol

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv

Wow there are so many new apps this evening. I am thrilled.

Contributor
robroy911

Yup, a bunch of new apps.  And they are all crappy.