Distinguished Correspondent
mohawkx

Re: List Cool New Apps for the Nook Tablet

If your Tab is rooted and you have access to the android market "World Streaming TV, News" is a great app.  I get Bloomberg, Fox News, MSNBC, BBC World, CNN International and CNN Live streaming through dolphin browser flawlessly.  The app is so good that I cancelled my Dish network and now save 55.00 a month.  Make sure you click the box that says "Default browser" in the apps preferences otherwise you'll get just sound with a white screen.

Correspondent
BrassMonkey

Plants vs zombies is now available
Contributor
KarlatWoven
0 Kudos

Hi Czechboy,

Thank you for your praise of Woven. We will be releasing an update to Woven with more robust organizing capabilities in the next month or so. You can find news and release announcements at our blog: http://blog.woventheapp.com/

Please let me know if you have any additional feeback for us and/or if you have any questions that I can answer. Enjoy your photos!

Cheers, Karl (at Woven)

Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture

1. Box: like the dropbox app, this is free and provides access to box.net cloud storage accounts... Nice to have the dedicated app made for the nook...

2. Twitter: in case you missed this...

3. Stitcher Smart Radio: this new free radio app is kind of like TuneIn Radio, but more focused on talk radio - both radio stations and online content like podcasts... it is not so much about the range of music stations etc. that Tunein is, but it's *free*, has a nice interface and once you have signed up, it customizes the stream of content to a choice of three interest areas at the outset.  You can browse shows by Interest, as well as by Source, listen to eitehr "live radio", or on demand shows... Like Pandora, it lets you thumbs up and thumbs down what you are listening to, so presumably the account grows to learn what your preferences are...

4. Soundtracker Radio: to be honest, I haven't downloaded this one yet, although it sounds interesting. (maybe somebody who has can chime in). It's another music app, costs $1.99 to download... The app images look pretty decent, but sounds like what it does best is act as a kind of music social network, you can search your contacts from facebook etc. and create music stations and listen your friends' music stations using the app.

5. LavaBox: this is an interesting lava lamp / music player / alarm clock app... There have been a few other alarm clock apps out there but none too different... This one basically turns your nook tablet into a kind of lava lamp clock.... Looks nice, and you can actually turn your device and touch the lava and interact with it, push and pull at it, etc... You can assign music folders and play music on it and set the alarm for the clock... So it doubles as your alarm clock... You will need to keep it docked though at night if you are using it as your alarm clock since it doesn't hibernate, it will drain your battery...

6. Angry Birds Space: the latest version of Angry Birds by Rovio... Space theme, and some different kinds of "powers", set in outerspace, it's basically like the old angry birds but instead of the game being oriented against the ground plane, the targets are on asteroids in space... with gravity fields...

7. Plants vs. Zombies: This has been out for a while now, but I just recently downloaded it... The #1 hit "tower defense" game from PopCap, plant plants to defend your house against the zombie invaders... I already had this on my iPhone before and have cleared it numerous times, but wanted to check it out on the nook... It looks and plays great on the Nook!  It takes a while to install the first time you boot it up, but it looks really nice on the larger screen, and everything has been customzed to fit the nook 7" format.

8. EZRuler, Best Level, Mini Piano, and Newton's Cradle: Here is a list of a few random apps for the Nook which perform simple functional tasks which are kind of just nice to have in there, and in my opinion looke pretty nice... (this is a big one for me, I like little tool apps to have nice graphics, and look like they were made with care, whether its your calculator etc.) A ruler, a level, mini eelctronic keyboard (lets you use a variety of instraments, but only two keys at a time only due to the dual touch screen), and a "newton's cradle" for you to set on your desk...

9. Cut the Rope: in case you missed it, this is a pretty cool game, looks great on the Nook, customized to the 7" Nook Tablet screen. A kind of physics type game like Angry Birds but a little more about strategy... Hugely popular on other platforms...

10. Goodreads: This is not new... But something I think worth downloading if anybody doesn't have this on the nook... It's the Book reader's social network, read reviews, search any title and see what you and your friends are reading etc.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

robotecture: 10. Goodreads: This is not new... But something I think worth downloading if anybody doesn't have this on the nook... It's the Book reader's social network, read reviews, search any title and see what you and your friends are reading etc.

It can also double as shelving system for your books. That's my main use for it anyway - a place to help me keep track of my Nook and Kindle books by genre. Having both in one place makes it easier to choose my next read.

Correspondent
BrassMonkey
0 Kudos

Just did a quick check on the new apps using the method i just learned from a post in the threads here. (Going to apps in the shop, then writing in "apps" in the search bar, then clicking newest to oldest). It seems they added quite a few new ones but these few stood out. 1. Cut The Rope: Experiments HD - a sequel to the original and a top selling android game. 2. Locate My Nuck - interesting looking app for keeping track and or finding your nook if you lose it via wireless triangulation. Exclusively for the nook. 3. News Hog (google news reader) - news app that even has text to speech option for every article/headline and its free. 4. Where's My Water? - one of the top 5 currently bestselling android games. 5. In case you missed it, Angry birds space came out along with World of Goo. Ps. I look forward to Temple Run whenever that gets added.
Wordsmith
TnTexas

I like the looks of the NIV Study Bible app. Haven't decided whether or not to get it, but it sounds pretty cool.

Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture

[ Edited ]

1. TripAdvisor: This is the app that has the green tripadvisor icon (not one of the white icons with the three letters for a city listed).  This is new, it's not a city guide, it's actually the app that lets you search any city or search term, for hotels, flights, restaurants, destinations, and a forum... It's free and gives you access to tons of searchable reviews on your Nook! Nice!

2. Angry Bots: This is a 3D shooter where you control a little commando type guy and you have to clear a space station of little rogue robots... Nice graphics, 3D... You have two little virtual joysticks basically: on the left, it makes you move, on the right, it shoots in the direction you point... It's pretty impressive little 99 cent game, nice for showing off your Nook as a mobile video game system, between this and Sleepy Jack and Cordy, the Nook almost makes a pretty good Nintendo DS type video game system... The form factor and size of the Nook Tablet, held horizontally is about right for a video game system IMHO...  I can see Angry Bots evolving into a much more in depth game in future releases... This is just one short test level, but a whole game like this could be cool...

3. Big Oven: This app has *thousands* of searchable recipes on it, and it's Free!  It also has a "random recipe" function that is pretty fun, drawing a random recipe out of the box... In order to access the Nutrition and Shopping List functions however, it requires that you register on the site and pay an annual fee, but the app is a great one of the Nook even without registering...

Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture

Some oldies but goodies (not yet posted in this thread I don't think, but these are all ones I use all the time):

1. Pulse News Reader: In case anybody hasn't yet downloaded this, it is a must have Free App... Basically you can aggregate any internet news or magazine type site and customize and read it all in one place in a cool magazine like reading format... Probably the best news aggregator on any device, maybe with the exception of Flipboard on the iPAD?

2. Quickoffice Pro: Not only does this app let you open and edit Microsoft word, excel, powerpoint, and pdf documents, but it also has a built in file manager (something that does not come native on the nooks).  The file manager also lets you add online cloud storage accounts or services including google docs, dropbox, box, evernote, catch, sugarsync, huddle, egnyte, and mobile me, all in one place... So you browse and search and can move files around between both cloud and onboard storage.  You can even open zip folders... It's not cheap, but well worth it IMHO... Even at $14.99... How much does MS office cost you?

3. EZ PDF reader: This one costs $2.99, but it is the top rated PDF reader on android, and definitely the best PDF reader on the Nook... It has all kinds of annotation functions, and can even lets you highlight, copy/paste, underline and annotate PDF's that are raster scans or photos of documents... Amazing!  You can even search a PDF that is a scanned document and it reads the scans as text that you could even copy out to a word document for example... The PDF reading experience is also nice.  Has bookmarking, postits, animated page turns and a browser that is kind of like the Nook magazine browser... I set this to my default PDF reader, far superior to the stock PDF reader that comes on the Nook.

4. Cozi Family Organizer: You set up an account, and it lets you create a synchronized shared family calendar, to do lists, shopping lists, etc. for your family so that everyone can add to the calendar at have updated to dos etc. accross individual phones and devices (phones, your nook, your home computer, etc.)...

5. Evernote and Skitch: Evernote is one of the best note taking apps, synchronizes notes accross your devices, your phone, nook, computer, etc. Organize your notes in books, tag them, search them... The nook app works well. You can even search scanned documents or photo notes, the system can read text in photos... Skitch is a basic vector drawing program that lets you draw on and mark up photos or scribble notes and save them, or export to Evernote or email.

6. Pandora: Obviously this is still IMHO the best music platform on the Nook or any device... Better than Spotify.  Even for the free account, it's awesome.  It lets you create any radio station based on a song or artist and learn your taste based on what you thumbs up and thumbs down.  It generates a radio station that learns what you like... Does this come preloaded on the Nooks?

Wordsmith
TnTexas

If you like sending and receiving e-cards justWink Greeting Cards might interest you. It allows you to send e-cards via email and Facebook, and it's free at the moment. No harm in checking it out.

justWink lets you personalize and send awesome greeting cards from your NOOK to your friends, family, and beyond, via email or Facebook.

Always have the perfect card at your fingertipsover 200 cards that will work for every who, what, where, and when in your crazy life! 

Cards that shuffle between, funny, bold, cute, trendy, sassy, heartfelt, sweet, and beautiful. Cards that open and flip and make people smile just like real cards. 

You can even customize these cards like you can any greeting card: Add your own note, drop in a photo, and even add your own signature (or finger doodle) for that authentic I Actually Care About You feel!

FEATURES

Quickly find great cards for: 
- Birthday!
- Thanks!
- Congrats!
- Baby!
- Wedding!
- Friendship!
- Couples!
- Just Because!
- On the Fly!
- Bromance
- And everything in between...

Personalization choose to add any or all (or none) of the following inside the cards:
- Your own message
- Your signature
- A photo from Facebook or that you've loaded onto your NOOK

New User
Ramble
0 Kudos

Contributor
Bullbitz
0 Kudos

Attack of the piano

promo.jpg

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/attack-of-the-piano-bullbitz/1111864564?ean=2940043907875

Piano Musical Note Reading Game
Improve your piano agility

50 levels of piano note reading challenges
20 piano Achievements
5 piano chapters

Youtube game play video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsH7-gwcHCs

Contributor
ChromaClub
0 Kudos

Animal Zoo Club is available as a Free Nook App...

sheridan-screenshot-2.png

Build your own zoo and take care of cute animals. This game is fun for both kids and adults.

Do fun zoo shows with the animals. Play fun physics mini-games. Decorate your zoo. 

For a limited time, the app is free to download...

Type "Animal Zoo Club" in the Nook app store to find it...or you can download it here...

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/animal-zoo-club-chroma-club/1107081437?ean=2940043864611

We also have another fun app out called "Doodle Club"...players can make drawings and save them. Fun for artists of all ages.

It has special features like fun animal stamps, replay option, pinch-zoom support, wild color modes, and free updates. 

You can download the app by typing "Doodle Club" in the Nook app store. Or you can follow the link here...

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/doodle-club-chroma-club/1108210253?ean=2940043877949

doodleclub-screenshot.JPG 

New User
dwebb
0 Kudos

My wife wants an app that as you turn the page, the NT makes a paper turning sound. A friend of ours has a kindle fire and he has it, but I cannot find one so far for the tablet. Anyone have any suggestions?

Contributor
corvidapps
0 Kudos

Kids Pattern Recognition

A math game for kids ages 4 - 6. It has rocket ships, cute alien monsters, and bad alien monsters. Solve the ABAB and ABCABC patterns to rescue the aliens. The patterns alternate in shape, color, size or numbers.

www.corvidapps.com

Contributor
Bullbitz
0 Kudos

Introducing Geography Champion for Nook

For anybody whose geography is a little rusty (and let's face it, whose isn't?), here's a fantastic-looking new game called Geography Champion that'll make getting up to speed a blast! Test your knowledge in 8 educational and addictive rounds and advance your way from Hermit to Geo Champ! Grab this app now and train your brain!

Here is the Link in NOOK
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/geography-champion-bullbitz/1112878776?ean=2940043922984

promosmall.png

Here is the video game play link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TctvhDPrbXE

Frequent Contributor
svsu
0 Kudos

I have the tune in radio app too. After using this app- you will never listen to local radio again. I am finding all sorts of stations from 80's rock to talk radio.I got this app for free but it pops up ads on the bottom. I got it for my ios devices.

Contributor
Bullbitz
0 Kudos

Rejoice Word Gamers! Introducing * Next Word *

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/next-word-bullbitz/1113521649?ean=2940043927729

nextword.png

Next Level Word Association Game., it's not your vanilla  word association game. it's not a word to word but word to many words association.

The challenge is to complete a tree topology word configuration to level up.

Are you up to the challenge ? 250 levels of brain pounding engaging levels awaits you.

so what are you waiting for, if you have your handy mobile or tablet device, crank it up with this serious puzzle and test your perception.

Antonyms, Synonymns, Compound Words, They just need to be related.

* 250 Challenging levels.
* 5 Difficulty Game modes
* Challenging tree node configuration.
* A word can have up to 4 word associations.

** Un-rivaled features for Word Association Game **

* Contains 55,333 word combinations on initial release
* Word Panels are not pre-determined, every level re-start will give you fresh and unique puzzle set.
* Puzzle configuration is dynamically extracted - to guarantee non-repetitious challenge.
* Complete the Word Tree with the best Word Association to Level Up.
* Animated tutorial / Relaxing Music / Visual treat to excite your senses.

Difficulty modes includes Easy,Medium,Hard,Expert, and Brain Pounder.

Enjoy !

* Here is a Video Game Play Demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV1umE8ceZE

Contributor
Bullbitz

I created an App to discover how much or how little you know about U.S. States Geography.
It just got Approved and Available now for the NOOK Family of Tablets  (non-HD and HD).

STATES GEO QUIZ

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/states-geo-quiz-bullbitz/1113612913?ean=2940043929167

geoquizicon.png

USA States Geography Game : Maps,Flags,Capitals,Seals Quiz and trivia plus more.

For anybody whose USA State geography is a little rusty (and let's face it, whose isn't?),
here's a fantastic-looking new game called "States Geo Quiz" that'll make getting up to speed
a blast! Test your knowledge in 8 educational and addictive rounds
and advance your way from Hermit to Geo Champ! Grab this app now and train your brain!

Put your U.S. State knowledge on the line and challenge yourself and your friends and
claim geography supremacy.

geoquizmain.jpg

Contributor
Bullbitz
0 Kudos

Introducing "WORD PUZZLE for the SOUL"

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/word-puzzle-for-the-soul/1113727888?ean=2940043931504

* 482 Inspirational levels
* 8 Topics
* Hours and weeks of Empowering Challenging Fun Game Play!
* Absorb Inspiring quotes better - by challenged learning.

On the game board, you are given a qoute by great men and women. 
The tiles are shuffled and not readible. Your task is to put 
the tiles back into their places and recover the original quote.

To reconstruct a quote, you must swap the letter tiles until you 
get every correct words. The tiles can only be swapped vertically 
in its respective column.

Once the original quote is revealed you level up!. 

Be Empowered,Motivated and Inspired by these great quotes 
from great minds.

This is your game, your Word Puzzle for the Soul.