Frequent Contributor
IamKat
0 Kudos

Love my nook color

I love my nook color, my one complaint is the power cord! Mine fell apart, and no I didn't take it in to replace, my hubby glued it back together till it finally fell apart, solder point came apart. Went to B&N only to find they had none in stock ( and are hard to find ), went on line and found only audio cable when searching for power cable?????? Ended up buying power kit replacement from Staples, not happy about that! Just think as it is a known issue all stores should carry extra!
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Love my nook color

IamKat wrote:
I love my nook color, my one complaint is the power cord! Mine fell apart, and no I didn't take it in to replace, my hubby glued it back together till it finally fell apart, solder point came apart. Went to B&N only to find they had none in stock ( and are hard to find ), went on line and found only audio cable when searching for power cable?????? Ended up buying power kit replacement from Staples, not happy about that! Just think as it is a known issue all stores should carry extra!

They're for sale on the B&N website, here.  .

Frequent Contributor
IamKat
0 Kudos

yes the power kit, didn' t need the whole kit just the cable, if the cable falls apart you should be able to buy just the cable and the store should stock it!
Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Yep a know issue. That is why I never use while plugged in like some do. And also I pass on AC charging as quick charging heats up the cable and unit some. And just plug into my computer usb and next morning ready to go fully charged.

And yep they should always have that damn cable in stock at the stores.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Frequent Contributor
IamKat
0 Kudos

Tele-tubbies gotta love them, grandkids (both grandsons ) just loved thoses tubbies :smileywink:
Contributor
stephf13
0 Kudos

I have a one-year-old daughter, who managed to find where I had hidden my Nook while it was charging, and walked off with it, causing the cord to break.  I went to my local B & N, and they had a car charger kit that included the cord, plus an attachment to charge it in my cigarette lighter in my car.  I didn't really think I would use the car charger, but I have found that I have.  Perhaps that might be an option for you?

Wordsmith
Droiddict
0 Kudos

The entire cord is warranted for one year.  All you have to do is call 1-800-the-book and they will send a replacement in about 5 days. If you break it after a year, it isn't at all difficult to order a replacement online or by calling the same number. Wrap the replacement with the little black rubber band that comes with the cord and you won't be able to break it so easily.  Problem solved!

Contributor
stephf13
0 Kudos

I contacted customer service, and was told the warranty does not cover the cord. 

Contributor
stephf13
0 Kudos

Huh, I just called and requested a new cord.  Thanks for that phone number!

Frequent Contributor
davidwb
0 Kudos

I have had no problem going to my local B&N and having them give me a new cord (for my wife's NC, not mine -- I'm more careful!).  Not under warranty, and they never even asked, as they knew it was a problem that many of us have.

Frequent Contributor
efeigenbaum
0 Kudos

davidwb wrote:

I have had no problem going to my local B&N and having them give me a new cord (for my wife's NC, not mine -- I'm more careful!).  Not under warranty, and they never even asked, as they knew it was a problem that many of us have.

I have two charging cords and both of them broke so I went to B&N and they replaced both of them.  They didn't ask any questions, just gave me two new cords.  I wonder if people aren't making this more difficult than it needs to be.

Distinguished Correspondent
HumbleCorrespondent
0 Kudos

It all comes down to how each individual B&N store decides to handle it.  I went into one at the end of last year, and they treated it as a warrantee issue, and connected me to customer service.  I got my cord in about 3 days.  That was fine, but the store chose not to give me one immediately.  Just because someone has one experience in a given store, it does not mean everyone else will have the same experience in their store.  It's the same with changing the user vs B&N content partition sizes.  Some stores know exactly what to do, while others do not even know that the option exists.

That's just my opinion, you can take it for what it's worth, or just leave it alone.
Frequent Contributor
davidwb
0 Kudos

You're probably right, HC, but it's too bad that each B&N store doesn't treat this problem in the same way.  You'd think that they'd get some guidence on this from corporate, but it looks as if each store is deciding what to do.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

davidwb wrote:

You'd think that they'd get some guidence on this from corporate, but it looks as if each store is deciding what to do.

As has been reported by at least one employee who posts on these boards frequently, corporate's position is that the customer should be referred to telephone customer service to receive a replacement in the mail.

Some stores choose to ignore that directive and take care of the customer in front of them (a better policy, IMHO).

New User
CeeCeeIL
0 Kudos

Charger/sync replacement cable that works!

I don't want to get too excited about this yet, but I seem to have stumbled on a non-BN sync/charging cable that works with my NookColor.

While waiting for a replacement from BN for my cable that broke, I started using the original cable that charges and syncs my Palm Pre Plus cell phone. I've found that it will charge my NookColor (can't compare the speed to the BN cord, but it is fully charged in the morning if I plug it in at night.)  Today I tried to use it as a sync cable, plugging it into the USB port on my computer, and IT WORKED!

I tried a generic micro-port cable, and it did not even register on my NookColor, so I believe it must be the OEM Palm cable. These are much less expensive and more readily available than the BN cable, however, so it may be a good alternative.  The least expensive one I found was at:

http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Original-Smart-Adapter-Charging/dp/B002ITKQKU/ref=sr_1_7?s=wireless&ie=UT...

for $3.70. Let me know if anyone else has tried this one.

Correspondent
TelSC
0 Kudos

Oh if that would only work. We've been swapping a cord between two Nooks for 2 weeks while trying to get B&N to send us a cord. Calling support doesn't work, chat doesn't work, and the store won't help. It looks like I'll have to buy a replacement cord for a Nook Color under warranty. Completely useless tech support.

Stop Calling It A Tablet
Contributor
ERyan
0 Kudos

TelSC wrote:

Oh if that would only work. We've been swapping a cord between two Nooks for 2 weeks while trying to get B&N to send us a cord. Calling support doesn't work, chat doesn't work, and the store won't help. It looks like I'll have to buy a replacement cord for a Nook Color under warranty. Completely useless tech support.

If you're under warranty, and still can't get help from customer support, check in with Alex by private message. Alex is a fantastic resource ready to talk to customer service about helping resolve any mistakes on B&N's customer service side and resolve the problem.

Frequent Contributor
stolenmoment
0 Kudos

Less than a month ago, when my third cable went bad, the local store said that they don't stock just the cable, but they're sold online (wrong), and (as mentioned here) just the cable isn't on the website.

I called the number, told them it was my third cable and that I had already bought one replacement kit, gave them my serial number (2010..., it's well over a year old), and I had my replacement in maybe three days, curled up into a tiny little ball.

Yes, they should re-engineer it, but (being an unabashed optimist) I'll continue to suspect that it isn't on the website precisely so they can give them away when you call.

Just so people know: you get really strange symptoms when cables start to go: the light behaves oddly and changes color when you squeeze the connector, the NC thinks that it's charging when its unplugged, if you boot it unplugged the NC doesn't notice being plugged in at all, it thinks it's plugged into USB when it's on AC, really oddball things like that, in random combinations.