Contributor
readnss
0 Kudos

MP4 videos not playing ...

I have several mp4 videos on my pc that I sideloaded onto my NC under the videos folder in My Files.  When I try to play them I get a message that says they can't be played.  Why would that be?  I thought the NC supported mp4 ... ?

I tried Freemake and handbrake as suggested in other threads with no luck.  Usually I just get a black screen and have to reboot.  Occassionally I get a message that the video can't play.

Thnaks for any help or suggestions you can offer ...

Inspired Wordsmith
TigerShawk
0 Kudos

Re: MP4 videos not playing ...

[ Edited ]

Not all MP4's are created equal, as you can probably see in the settings tabs of Handbrake.  One of the bigger issues is that NC can't handle a 5.1 surround sound audio stream.  It needs to be stereo or mono.  There are some websites/posts that list some suggested settings that I read and posted in a few months ago. 

I searched on 'Nook Color Handbrake settings' and got the results I based my conversions on.  For example, http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/5531-how-using-handbrake-convert-video-nook...

In answer to your question, the NC can play MP4, and when the settings are correct, it makes a really nice picture.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

readnss wrote:

I have several mp4 videos on my pc that I sideloaded onto my NC under the videos folder in My Files.  When I try to play them I get a message that says they can't be played.  Why would that be?  I thought the NC supported mp4 ... ?

I tried Freemake and handbrake as suggested in other threads with no luck.  Usually I just get a black screen and have to reboot.  Occassionally I get a message that the video can't play.

Thnaks for any help or suggestions you can offer ...

For MP4 video files to play on the NOOKcolor, there are a couple of restrictions.

As mentioned, 5.1 audio will not work. The audio needs to be in AAC Stereo format

Screen size can not exceed 854x480,the NOOKcolor has a higher resolution.

Video can be either H264 (aka AVC) or MPEG4-SP (aka FFMPEG in Handbrake) and can not be created using advanced features such as cabac and high ref frame counts.

Inspired Contributor
Trekkie7
0 Kudos

R:

Awhile back, I had the same problem - I used Freemake.  Go search for Handbrake and the detailed instructions associated with that (I think maybe "Matt" did the instructions).  If you use a STOCK DVD (like one you've bought or gotten from NetFlix, you have to use your "copy" software to rip away the Hollywood copy protection).  Make a "copy" of the DVD that will not work, using your "ripping"/"copying" software, then use Handbrake on the "copy" to make MP4 and it always works - old movies, new movies. 

Wordsmith
daenas
0 Kudos

Trekkie7 wrote:

R:

Awhile back, I had the same problem - I used Freemake.  Go search for Handbrake and the detailed instructions associated with that (I think maybe "Matt" did the instructions).  If you use a STOCK DVD (like one you've bought or gotten from NetFlix, you have to use your "copy" software to rip away the Hollywood copy protection).  Make a "copy" of the DVD that will not work, using your "ripping"/"copying" software, then use Handbrake on the "copy" to make MP4 and it always works - old movies, new movies. 

I've been preaching the benefits of Freemake and how a great program it is for a while now!  I love it!  I use it to format vids for my NC all the time.  And it does so much more!

Contributor
readnss
0 Kudos

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.  I haven't had success yet, but will keep trying.

New User
llkle
0 Kudos

Has anyone used imoviesclub.com? They say their movies work on the nook color and they have ebooks too. I'm not sure if I want to sign up. They don't let you see any of their titles until you join.

Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy
0 Kudos

For other than restricted(DRM)  videos, (movies, etc.) like videos I make or WAV slide shows, etc.

Upload to you tube tc.travelling, edownlaod to your PC as MP4... this is very quick and works with most formats.  It's actually faster than using my laptop and convertine locally.  My big desktop at home is faster of course., but when  travelling, etc.

You are limited to 2 an hour.  But is is painful.

If there is background music that youtube identifys as copyrighted, will not send back.

Then, sideload to NC and voila, good quality MP4's

7 & 2 and still playing with the new.
Contributor
readnss
0 Kudos

Actually, it was a video that I had downloaded from You tube that I was trying to play on my NC that was the reason for this thread.  When I I go to youtube.com from the browser, I am not able to play videos.  The screen goes blank and eventually I have to do a force quit.  Is this happening to others?  Shouldn't I be able to watch you tube videos?

thanks

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Youtube works just fine on the NOOKcolor (stock 1.2, not rooted).

Maybe switch to a different mode in your browser.

Start the browser, tap on the top right button, next to the star, tap on "More options" then settings, and its the top setting.

I just tried Desktop mode and it worked fine.

If you rather download your videos, use the 480p MP4 versions. The nook doesn't like files that have a resolution higher than 854x480.

New User
mhrhayw22a
0 Kudos

I have a subscription to PlayOn and PlayLater and can create MP4 files from Netflix feeds. I have tried and successfully created many files yet when those files exceed 2,621,181 in size (2 hours 16 minutes) the movies won't play. I checked with both BN and PlayOn support, neither have a solution. Is there a different MP4 player that can be installed on the NookColor?

Not sure if this is everyone's issue, but appears to be the only common denominator for my issues.

Correspondent
Wulfraed

mhrhayw22a wrote:

I have a subscription to PlayOn and PlayLater and can create MP4 files from Netflix feeds. I have tried and successfully created many files yet when those files exceed 2,621,181 in size (2 hours 16 minutes) the movies won't play. I checked with both BN and PlayOn support, neither have a solution. Is there a different MP4 player that can be installed on the NookColor?

Not sure if this is everyone's issue, but appears to be the only common denominator for my issues.

Really? A 2 MB video covering over 2 hours? I'm amazed at that compression ratio!

A video larger than 2GB (2,147,483,648) I can understand. Signed 32-bit integers cover ~-2GB..+2GB -- and while the OS might handle unsigned (0..4GB) files, applications that have to jump back&forth in the file might have been coded using signed integers. Those applications will choke when trying manipulate positions in a file larger than 2GB.

And Android apps use Java -- with apparently does not have an unsigned integer as a native type... applications would have to use a 64-bit signed integer (which probably slows down operations as the hardware is likely a 32-bit processor on many Android systems) {Note: I'm basing this on the list of types in "Programming Android 2nd Ed" -- my actual Java books are in storage}

FYI: a standard definition DVD (MPEG2) runs 4-4.5GB per hour. HDV runs 13GB/hour. AVCHD falls between the two. Many of the older disk-based video cameras could only record clips up to about 20 minutes max due to file size.

Baron Wulfraed
New User
brauchhudson
0 Kudos

recommend iDealshare VideoGo which has both windows version http://www.idealshare.net/video-converter.html and mac version http://www.idealshare.net/video-converter-mac.html

it can easily:
Convert all video or movie files to popular video formats in SD or HD
Convert video, music video to audio or convert audio to other audio format
Download and convert online movies, music video, music, audio files
Convert video to streaming MP4, MOV for upload to video sharing websites
Convert videos for successfully playing on iPad, iPhone, Android devices, Samsung Galaxy, PSP, BlackBerry, Google Nexus, Microsoft Surface, Xbox and etc
Edit movie files like trim, crop, merge, split by chapter, rotate, compress video, increase video/audio volume, add subtitle/effect/audio track/watermark and etc