Contributor
Kevin_0626
0 Kudos

Re: Managing through Calibre

So msmoonlite, how did you get the books you bought from B&N into Calibre since, in my experience, Calibre does not even see your books when you plug in your Nook? Did you redownload them to your computer from the B&N website? If so then you would have to archive all the 100 books in the main storage to avoid having dupes. Is that right?
Inspired Wordsmith
gstone

Kevin_0626 wrote:
So msmoonlite, how did you get the books you bought from B&N into Calibre since, in my experience, Calibre does not even see your books when you plug in your Nook? Did you redownload them to your computer from the B&N website? If so then you would have to archive all the 100 books in the main storage to avoid having dupes. Is that right?

I don't know what msmoonlite did but I creatred a second account without a credit card associated with it. Our nooks are registered to that account.+

If you install Nook for PC and check 'Automatically Download Recent Purchases' it should download your entire library. I load those up in Calibre and copy what I want to the nook.

None of our books are on the internal card and only those on the  SD card show up.

Doing this; the first book you open asks for your credit card number, after entering it once the unlock key is generated for that account, stored on your nook's drive and it wont ask for it again.

Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry I should have clarified, I have all of my non BN ebooks in Calibre.

I have far fewer ebooks in my BN library than downloaded from other sources which is why I left my BN library on my nook alone and downloaded Calibre to organize my other content. Then I can put those books on an SD card. The way I differentiate is by seeing what books are still in my library when I take the SD card out.

It can be done, I'm just a slacker when it comes to this kind of stuff (which is what makes Calibre so appealing since its so easy). Gstone describes one way and I've heard there is another way using ADE (getting books into that program then moving them into Calibre but I only heard that you can, not the steps to do this.)

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

" hope B&N provides better organization tools soon."

That is almost certainly not going to be soon (measured in months, rather than years.)

Better tools for organizing, and preferably tools that let you organize and back up your file structure, have been requested since the first nooks hit the market.

Agreed.

B&N has actually made it harder to manage books.  The N1E allowed the user to see the B&N download folder in its stock iteration.  They've blocked this ability, for reasons that no one at B&N is devulging, in every other nook since, hence the need for the workaround.

roustabout
0 Kudos

"They've blocked this ability, for reasons that no one at B&N is devulging, in every other nook since, hence the need for the workaround."

Not quite, actually - on the earlier Nook Color units, which had 5 gig of user-accessible storage and 1 gig reserved for Android data, the BN Download folder was out on the /media partition.  

If you use Dean's scripts to take a 5g BN / 1G you configured unit and make it into a 1G BN / 5G you, the system pushes the BN folder out to you again, if I'm remembering this correctly.  I thought that was a pretty interesting behavior, and I'm not sure where it's triggered from.  (I think I only did the test once or twice, and could be misunderstanding what I saw - I did see that when I applied Dean's script to do a 2gig /data and a 4 gig /media, the BN folder got autosucked into /data - there wasn't anything in the script that redirected the downloads and I suspect it's something buried in the library app.)

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
Kevin_0626
0 Kudos

I use a Mac so I downloaded Nook for Mac. However it does not seem to have the "automatically download recent purchases" choice (I looked everywhere). I was able to download my 200 or so books (it comes out to 221 mb of space) all B&N purchased. I then backed them up using the Mac backup program "time machine". I have still not decided if I will side load them all and clear the main book area (it seems I have plenty of room for right now). I could put them in Calibre but will that help me organize the by genre and allow for an unread category? I still prefer reading on my Nook GL but the Mac reader is pretty good except for not having the auto download choice (to download my books I had to choose each book and then choose download for each book and it took about 40 minutes on my cable modem wifi).
Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Kevin_0626 wrote:
I use a Mac so I downloaded Nook for Mac. However it does not seem to have the "automatically download recent purchases" choice (I looked everywhere).

On Nook for PC its under account settings. I've never used Nook for Mac.

On Nook for PC if you don't check that off you have to download each title individually.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Kevin_0626 wrote:
I use a Mac so I downloaded Nook for Mac. However it does not seem to have the "automatically download recent purchases" choice (I looked everywhere). I was able to download my 200 or so books (it comes out to 221 mb of space) all B&N purchased. I then backed them up using the Mac backup program "time machine". I have still not decided if I will side load them all and clear the main book area (it seems I have plenty of room for right now). I could put them in Calibre but will that help me organize the by genre and allow for an unread category? I still prefer reading on my Nook GL but the Mac reader is pretty good except for not having the auto download choice (to download my books I had to choose each book and then choose download for each book and it took about 40 minutes on my cable modem wifi).

If you do decide to sideload, before you do, check to make sure the files that downloaded to your Mac are .epub files.  It used to be that Nook for Mac downloaded .pdb format, and Mac users needed to use NookStudy to download .epub format (the format that the newer nooks read), but I suspect that issue has been resolved.

Contributor
Kevin_0626
0 Kudos

I read about that keriflur but I checked and every book I downloaded was in ePub format so it seems that problem is resolved. Now, if the only had that auto download feature (it is not in the settings menu).
keriflur
0 Kudos

Kevin_0626 wrote:
I read about that keriflur but I checked and every book I downloaded was in ePub format so it seems that problem is resolved. Now, if the only had that auto download feature (it is not in the settings menu).

Good to hear!