Distinguished Correspondent
lochnez
0 Kudos

Membership rumor

So, I was just in the local b&m B&N to buy a stylus for the HD/HD+. Can't believe I waited this long. This thing is great. At the checkout, the CSR asked the obligatory "do you have a membership" question, to which I replied that it would do me no good as I mostly only buy ebooks. She said, and I quote, "We're trying to extend the discount to ebooks. Wouldn't that make it better?" Well, yeah, it would! I would totally have a membership if the benefits included my ebook purchases. 

Has anyone else heard this? Merc? How about you? You seem to be B&N employee.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Re: Membership rumor

I haven't heard anything, but I know the stores have been giving a LOT of feedback to corporate about doing this kind of thing. 

I can tell you this, as an employee of a B&M B&N I -want- the membership to apply to ebooks and Nook accessories.  Even if it's only in store for both.  If only because it makes selling both easier.  As it is right now every Nook sale is basically one less membership unless they plan to buy a lot of gifts from us.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Contributor
Nook_User
0 Kudos

This would be great.

In fact, I actually signed up for a membership in store when buying my Nook Glowlight last week.

I've put it off for a while, but when I heard that they took 10% off the cost of the Nook device, I was sold. 

So if they're allowing membership discounts to carry over to Nook ereaders, then perhaps ebooks and accessories are next...

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

The NGL member discount ends when 2013 does.  May not be the thing to pin hopes to.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Any word on Black Friday specials?
Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Groupon is currently offering the 32 g HD+ for $129...

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Nope, we're doing something special the Friday before though, you can come in to a B&N to enter for a chance to win a 1,000 gift card.  I imagine there may be some sales going on that day as well,

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/bn-discovery-fridays/379004127

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Not from BN yet (though Target is doing HD's for $79, so that might be everywhere).

For Discover Friday (next Friday) the NGL is 20% off for Members and the NSTGL is $59 IIRC.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

I haven't heard anything, but I know the stores have been giving a LOT of feedback to corporate about doing this kind of thing. 

I can tell you this, as an employee of a B&M B&N I -want- the membership to apply to ebooks and Nook accessories.  Even if it's only in store for both.  If only because it makes selling both easier.  As it is right now every Nook sale is basically one less membership unless they plan to buy a lot of gifts from us.

I was delighted that I got that 10% discount on the new Nook.  I didn't really *NEED* the Nook. But the member's discount was one of the things that tipped the scales in favor of buying it.  Sadly, no discount on the extended warranty I bought today.  We've had a membership card for years.  We go to B&N for coffee nearly every weekend in the winter, once or twice a month in the spring and fall.  The break on the coffee and my husband's snack covers the cost of the card...but more often than not, we pick up magazine, or a DTB, or a book or toy for our granddude.  But WOW...if I got a discount on Nook Books, I'd be just delighted.  I do buy more Nook books; my husband, who has my old NC, still preferes DTBs for his Civil War fixation.  He likes the Nook for novels.