Correspondent
mogulman
0 Kudos

Microsoft to Invest in Barnes & Noble's Nook

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303916904577375502392129654.html

I posted a while back about the idea of a B&N/MS collaboration to resolve the patent issue.  Seems to have come true. 

Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy

Re: Microsoft to Invest in Barnes & Noble's Nook

Here's more on that same topic...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57423957-75/barnes-noble-microsoft-ink-strategic-deal-on-e-reading...

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,976
0 Kudos

Balls, missed it. Could have made so much money.

Frequent Contributor
Undo

Seems to me B&N already has enough trouble developing decent Android apps. Now they're going to try Windows too? Ugh.

Frequent Contributor
rafalweb

Undo wrote:

Seems to me B&N already has enough trouble developing decent Android apps. Now they're going to try Windows too? Ugh.

Seems to me this move might signal Nook Tab's move away from Android, and over to Windows.  I think that would be a game changer, considering how well received the new OS is as a mobile system.   This could change the game and put a whole lot of pressure on Amazon, rightfully so.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

Undo wrote:

as long as I can still read my books, I don't really care what OS Nook runs.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Contributor
chamaeleon
0 Kudos

kamas716 wrote:

as long as I can still read my books, I don't really care what OS Nook runs.

Funnily enough, any existing device owned will still continue to run Android.. :smileywink: As far as I'm concerned, my NOOK Color (I know this is the Tablet section) will serve me well until it dies (hopefully for several years more), at which point I'll weigh my options. Having been burnt by the MS Reader discontinuation, I'm not terribly interested in any kind of Microsoft involvement in the industry though, and would more than likely look elsewhere for a replacement device in the future.

Inspired Correspondent
karmamule
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

rafalweb wrote:

Undo wrote:

Seems to me this move might signal Nook Tab's move away from Android, and over to Windows.  I think that would be a game changer, considering how well received the new OS is as a mobile system.   This could change the game and put a whole lot of pressure on Amazon, rightfully so.

This is a good point.  Their Metro UI has received lots of good reviews.  Windows phones do have a problem getting more widespread acceptance because the selection of apps is smaller than Android or iOS, but that's an issue that nooks have anyway.  

A future nook running Windows 8 with the Metro UI may stand out more in the marketplace of low-cost tablets because of it.  But they still need to make sure the reading of novels etc is still front-and-center as it is on the current nook tablet or it could alienate the nook audience.

Regard all phenomena as dreams.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,976
0 Kudos

It all depends.

I for one like the current Android fork BN developed for the Color/Tablet. Metro is nice for general tablets, but I don't see it being great for a reading-centric device, mostly because M$ has a strict no modification policy for WP7 (and thus I expect it to be the same for Win8/RT). I like being able to put books and get my magazine issues right on my home screen, so unless M$ lets BN deviate from the stock Metro experience you're going to be getting a BN branded stock M$ tablet instead of a device targeted towards readers. The former makes it harder for the device to stand apart from the Samsungs and Asuses and Acers, while the later is what helped BN get into the position they are in in the first place.

So I'm going to reserve judgement, though I really hope they split the company and rehire all the digital department employees under the new company and pay us an actual living wage. That would be swell.

Reader 2
Snapt
0 Kudos

MS has invested in companies before with postive results.  Hello Apple.

Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture

A partnership with Microsoft looks like a win win. Nook gets a differentiator, big technology backing, perhaps a place in microsofts ecosystem of software, and Microsoft gets a foothold in digital books, something it was lagging behind google and apple in... Looks like maybe my investment in Barnes and Noble wasnt so bad afterall!
Czechboy

Well, I hope that if and when they do it, they can at least keep the epub format and don't decide to switch to some proprietary thing that everyone ends up hating.

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Distinguished Wordsmith
PeterDe
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This is where BN naming of things gets really confusing. Nook can be anything from a android app, iPad app or their own branded device. We just don't know if this money will be used for anything other then app development for a window 7 or 8 device. Only time will tell.

Some people can't see the forest for the trees!

4 Nook Household, 2 NOOKs, 2 NOOKcolors
Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat

rafalweb wrote:

Undo wrote:

Not necessarily a move away from Android. Note that part of the MSFT deal is to moot their challenge to B&N over alleged patent infringement in use of Android. I read it more as a fork, with both OSes likely to be active.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Frequent Contributor
rafalweb

Snapt wrote:

MS has invested in companies before with postive results.  Hello Apple.

Skype too.   Look at Skype after MS bought it.  It's everywhere and works great.  I hope MS and Nook execute this deal the right way, so that Nook can be as successful.

k2nax
0 Kudos

Update 1.5 = Win 8??  Hmmm, I wonder what the predicted release date for that is (not holding breath?) 

Of course the real problem is we will be going back to ~500+ apps (not that the Nook is overloaded with apps now.)

It is better to have loved your nook and lost,
than never to have loved your nook at all.
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

k2nax wrote:

Update 1.5 = Win 8??  Hmmm, I wonder what the predicted release date for that is (not holding breath?) 

Of course the real problem is we will be going back to ~500+ apps (not that the Nook is overloaded with apps now.)

Not likely. 

I would assume any roll out of a WP8 firmware would be on new hardware and not for the existing Nook line.  This deal is probably great for shareholders, maybe great for employees, probably great for BN customers and good for Nook owners.  BN will probably support the older app system at least as long as your battery lasts and after that you would be buying a new device anyway.

Maybe they will split the tablet line and have the low end Nook's continue to run on Android (since MS seems to think they own it anyway) and higher end tablets on WP8.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat

It's been confirmed in the Washington Post that this is a deal for Nook content, and it will not affect Android development on Nook devices.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

"will not affect Android development "

Certainly, oodles of MS cash didn't make Apple stop developing MacOS or choose not to develop iOS.

That said, if MS winds up not with a stake in BN as a whole but with a majority stake in the Nook products, I would be surprised not to see the Nooks get borged, sooner or later.

Microsoft's inhalation and subsequent neglect of Danger Research and the Unix back-end of Hotmail are cases in point here.  

http://www.pcworld.com/article/173470/microsoft_redfaced_after_massive_sidekick_data_loss.html

for the issues that Danger faced once they were inhaled.  

I like the nooks on the market now, but am open as always to other things, too.   

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture

[ Edited ]
I own a ton of Nook Apps, but many of them cost very little or were free. Of the ones that cost a bit more, one is quickoffice pro, which presumably will become obsolete if MS office has a kind of app for Windows 8... On top of that, technology becomes dated and better games come out for example... I would not hesitate to switch over to a Windows 8 powered nook if the device is a better piece of hardware, any more than I would upgrading from a Playstation 2 to a Playstation 3 for example. To be honest, I would like to see it happen: a Windows powered nook that I can bring all my digital reading content over from my current Nook, and that gets deep integration and technology support from an invested OS developer. Lets DO IT! :smileyhappy: