Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook

More Video Content Coming Soon, Maybe

For those of you who have been clamoring for more movies and TV shows, this article may give you some hope:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/barnes-noble-announces-nook-video-133000530.html

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: More Video Content Coming Soon, Maybe

Thanks Petesnook.

The following are the key things -

1) content licensing       partnerships with major studios and content providers including       Lionsgate (LGF), MGM, Paramount Pictures, Relativity Media,       National Geographic, Little Pim, and Film Buff.

That's pretty good. I like quite a few of the Lionsgate and Paramount movies.

2) Movies include The Hunger Games, Twilight, Skyfall, Rocky, Save Haven, etc.

3) TV Shows include Mad Men, Amazing Planet.

Definitely a good step forward.

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

OT: I found this quote in the article to be amusing considering how many people have reported difficulties with B&N CS:

Quote:  Barnes & Noble is proud to be named a J.D. Power and Associates 2012 Customer Service Champion and is only one of 50 U.S. companies so named. Barnes & Noble.com is ranked the number one online retailer in customer satisfaction in the book, music and video category and a Top 10 online retailer overall in customer satisfaction according to ForeSee E-Retail Satisfaction Index (Spring Top 100 Edition). End Quote

J.D. Power survey respondees have apparently never contacted the off-shore support, if the experiences of posters here are any indication of the quality of that support.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

petesnook wrote:

OT: I found this quote in the article to be amusing considering how many people have reported difficulties with B&N CS:

Quote:  Barnes & Noble is proud to be named a J.D. Power and Associates 2012 Customer Service Champion and is only one of 50 U.S. companies so named. Barnes & Noble.com is ranked the number one online retailer in customer satisfaction in the book, music and video category and a Top 10 online retailer overall in customer satisfaction according to ForeSee E-Retail Satisfaction Index (Spring Top 100 Edition). End Quote

J.D. Power survey respondees have apparently never contacted the off-shore support, if the experiences of posters here are any indication of the quality of that support.

I think it is indicative that the majority of calls are routine, people to lazy to read the owners manuel. Unfortunately the minority with a real issue encounter outsourced staff unprepared to deal with a real problem. These ratings also depend on a lot of measureables, how long on hold, did you get an e mail response in the promised period, courtesy etc., competence is only a small part of the rating.

Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP
0 Kudos

We only hear about the people who call, they never announce that 1,000 people didn't call CS today.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

It's a lot of things

1) People calling with easy to solve issues.  And there are a LOT of those with BN CS.  Remember the CS line isn't just for Nooks, it's for BN.com, memberships, educator discounts, and so on.  So a lot of those calls are going to end with a happy customer because they can follow a nice easy script and reach a solution that is very in line with what the customer wanted. 

2) They do not take in to account the people -not- calling CS because they have had poor experiences in the past and who were not questioned about the quality of the CS. 

3) Recently stores have printed surveys asking customers how the store performed as a whole, I suspect some of that is CS based.  The lure for them to answer these surveys is a chance to win a 50$ gift card or a Nook HD.  I don't know the chances of winning, nor if there are other things you can win.  I'd imagine the gift card is significantly higher than the Nook.

Between those three things that can cover quite a large percentage of error.

On a personal note, I'd like to imagine the stores offer better customer support than the CS line.  Though just today I helped a woman with a NSTG, she told me that someone in another near by store told her the following

1) you can not archive books or newspapers from the NSTG.  That you need to do so on a computer.  This baffled me, archiving has always been there on the NST line. 

2) That the 1 year standard warranty would allow her to return the device for a refund.  This blew my mind because that is totally not how the warranty works. 

She seemed to have already been questioning those two things so when I broke the news she was very accepting of it.  I can just imagine the slew of people who are out there under the impression they can return their nook in a year. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Wordsmith
PlanetGreen
0 Kudos

And so it begins, Skyfall is out in the Nook store HD $14.99. Zero dark thirty is up too but just the trailer, no price. Street date is the 19th.
It's a small world afterall except when your far away.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Based on

1) Accounts of Store Reps - I'd say that survey seems spot-on.

2) Accounts of chat and phone Reps - that survey seems a joke.

It's probably what others on the thread have said i.e. most people's needs are met by phone support and that it's overall BN.com support and not just Nook support.

It makes you wonder. What's the real scenario

1) Forum reports of bad service are outliers?

2) Forum reports of bad service are the tip of the iceberg and for every one person who writes here there are 10 others who have a bad experience but don't.

3) Something else.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:...
It makes you wonder. What's the real scenario...

2) Forum reports of bad service are the tip of the iceberg and for every one person who writes here there are 10 others who have a bad experience but don't..

Multiply the posts we see times 10, and divide by the total number of CS calls they have per day, its not a very big percentage. Then if everybody else has online service that is of variable quality as well, being the "best of" might not be such a great absolute result.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I think that's the key thing - 'Best Of' based on what performance levels.

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

Shoot. I should have known better than to post that OT comment concerning CS. Its subject has now become the main toipic in this thread. A worthy topic, to be sure, but not the original subject. I hijacked my own thread!!

My apologies to those coming to this thread hoping for info on the new video content. Hopefully, we can get back to that topic.

Wordsmith
PlanetGreen
0 Kudos

petesnook wrote:

Shoot. I should have known better than to post that OT comment concerning CS. Its subject has now become the main toipic in this thread. A worthy topic, to be sure, but not the original subject. I hijacked my own thread!!

My apologies to those coming to this thread hoping for info on the new video content. Hopefully, we can get back to that topic.

Don't sweat it Petey,

I do it all the time :smileywink: And they get me good for it !

Im glad you started this thread, I picked up a couple of them Skyfall, etc.

Now,............Give me my Paranormal Activity BN !

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Not having a Nook HD, and with the Nook Video app seeming to take forever and a day to roll out, the question I have for Nook HD owners about Nook Video is whether it supports download to the device for rentals, or just download to own?

When I was traveling, the real downside of the Vudu+Ultraviolet+Flixster combo was that download only worked for the movies that I owned. I couldn't download the movies that I had just rented.

And watching a few of the free movies surely pass the time, but giving content away for free doesn't seem like a long term business model (as I recall from the dotcom crash).

The reason why I would pay the extra money to rent the digital movie rather than watching a stream or getting the DVD at Redbox is for the convenience of downloaded digital content.

Wordsmith
PlanetGreen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

BruceMcF wrote:

Not having a Nook HD, and with the Nook Video app seeming to take forever and a day to roll out, the question I have for Nook HD owners about Nook Video is whether it supports download to the device for rentals - (YES), or just download to own?

When I was traveling, the real downside of the Vudu+Ultraviolet+Flixster combo was that download only worked for the movies that I owned. I couldn't download the movies that I had just rented.

And watching a few of the free movies surely pass the time, but giving content away for free doesn't seem like a long term business model (as I recall from the dotcom crash).

The reason why I would pay the extra money to rent the digital movie rather than watching a stream or getting the DVD at Redbox is for the convenience of downloaded digital content.

18. Are there streaming or download limitations with NOOK Video?

You can stream or download purchased content (different titles) from your NOOK Video collection on up to two NOOK HD/HD+ or NOOK Video applications simultaneously.

You can download and watch or stream rented content (the same title) on one NOOK HD/HD+ or NOOK Video application at a time.
Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

PlanetGreen wrote:

18. Are there streaming or download limitations with NOOK Video?

You can stream or download purchased content (different titles) from your NOOK Video collection on up to two NOOK HD/HD+ or NOOK Video applications simultaneously.

You can download and watch or stream rented content (the same title) on one NOOK HD/HD+ or NOOK Video application at a time.

Is that a shorthand for you've tried it and you can, or is that you've never tried but they claim that you can?

This seems to be a substantial advantage over either Flixster or Vudu (whichever it is ~ as I noted, its a cobbled together system of three different accounts), since Vudu's documentation makes it seem like download only works for movies that have been bought.

Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP
0 Kudos

I've only tried one NOOK movie so far and I couldn't download it, could only stream it. Have been mostly watching Crackle free movies.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

For me when I buy rentals it shows BOTH download and streaming. Of course, neither works so I can't confirm that downloading of rented movies works.

Wordsmith
PlanetGreen
0 Kudos

Neither works? What? Why can't you download or stream? And no, I have not downloaded a rental, I buy all the movies. Both stream and download works fine. Sorry, dunno, not a big fan of renting. If one was 99 cent id try it for you but they are all 3-4$.
Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Although I mostly buy movies through B&N, we did rent one, which streamed fine. I actually hooked it up to the HDMI adapter and we watched it on our TV. With the new VUDU app for the HD, you can also now rent and stream from Vudu to the HD. I rented one today.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923

I just rented and downloaded Wreck It Ralph (great movie, BTW) a couple days ago from BN. Yes it works the same as buying.