Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma

MovieGallery 1.4 Available Soon

Tools4Movies announced on their website today that an update to MovieGallery is going to be available on the B&N App Store within the next few days.  It looks like some of the improvements include a "settings" button, "files" button and inclusion of an MP4 Streaming capability.  What I like most about this $2 App is that when combined with DVD Catalyst ($10 from Tools4Movies) you can put any DVD/Blueray movie you own on your Nook easily and with DVD quality results. 

Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy
0 Kudos

Re: MovieGallery 1.4 Available Soon

Good to know.  The DVD Catalyst/MovieGallery is a simple to use combination that gives you consistant results.  In fact it's so easy to use, I now have quite the nook playable movie library available on my network drive that I can choose 8 or so movies I can keep on my 16gb sd card at a time.  If you enjoy watching movies on your nook and find benefit in having them with you (when you're not in wifi range), this is a really good way to go.

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Thanks for the post :smileyhappy:

Unlike the last time when I posted prematurely, I wanted to hold off with the announcement for the NOOK until it was actually available.

As requested by many, the tap-to-play is back, and for settings and folders, I added buttons. The buttons, also because it was requested have been made smaller, but the "touch area" is a little larger. I also implemented a "delete file"option, which was also requested :smileyhappy:

Aside from these changes, one of the biggest things added in MovieGallery is the ability to connect MovieGallery to MP4 Streaming Server (free). With the 1.3.2 MovieGallery version that is currently available for the NOOK, I implemented the streaming trailers. The MP4 Streaming Server connection works in a similar way, but then for your own movies at home.

With the MP4 server, you can organize your video collection in playlists that will appear on the NOOK as folders, so you can easily switch between them.

Of course when you stream your movies, you don't need to fill up your memorycards, and as a bonus, it also eliminates the 2GB file-size limit on the NOOKcolor and NOOKtablet.

For full details:

Release Notes:

http://www.tools4movies.com/2012/01/moviegallery-14/

MovieGallery + MP4 Server Guide:

http://www.tools4movies.com/2012/01/how-use-moviegallery-with-mp4-streaming-server/

Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma

02/01/2012 1:40 PST  Just downloaded the MovieGallery update.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Finally updated :smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma

Got it! Like it!  Well worth the wait. I am one who appreciates the "folders" and "Menu" buttons.  Double tap to start seems very intuitive even it I am an old guy with short, fat fingers.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

I am glad to hear it :smileyhappy:

The image should be single-tap to play though.

Contributor
janzin

great thanks! Definitely find this version more intuitive. Thanks for the fast service as always :smileyhappy:

Contributor
iheartnook

Finally received my 32 gb sd card in the mail ($33 including tax and shipping) so I could put movies on my nook! I love the MovieGallery App, rather than having to make multiple taps to get to my SD card files. I wish I could get DVD catalyst but seeing as I have a Mac I can't do that. I've been using Handbrake to transfer my movies over and it seems to be working fine, although a bit slow.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

MovieGallery 1.5 Available Soon

[ Edited ]

A few days ago, I uploaded MovieGallery 1.5 to B&N's Appstore. It is a bit quick, only 2 weeks after 1.4, and as DVD Catalyst users know, I take these so-called minor version-increases quite seriously. These "minor" version updates (1.4 > 1.5) always include enhancements that other developers often see as an opportunity to jump a major version (1.0 > 2.0) and charge an upgrade fee, but I think the updates I have done are quite big.

MovieGallery Screenshot

NEW:

* Honeycomb enhancements.

Not really specific to the NOOK, since the menu-bar has always been hidden from view during video playback, but since I started development on MovieGallery, people who are using Honeycomb tablets have been asking about the menu bar at the bottom during video playback. Because I did not want to create 2 versions of MovieGallery, a “phone edition” and an “HD edition”, I developed MovieGallery with compatibility in mind. It works great on just about any Android device. But, as a result, I could not use certain features of the newer Android versions in order to maintain compatibility. Well, in MovieGallery 1.5, I applied some magic, and did both. Now, the menu-bar in Honeycomb is dimmed as it should in MovieGallery during video playback.

* Ice Cream Sandwich enhancements.

Similar as for Honeycomb, I figured while I was at it anyway, I did the same for the ICS button-bar. Unfortunately, due to the way ICS works, if you tap on the screen, the buttons will appear and remain visible. If you back-out to the Gallery view and then play your video again (it remembers where you left off) the button bar will be hidden again.

* Theming.

With Honeycomb and ICS support, I also made MovieGallery use the theme of the device. Earlier versions of MovieGallery used the old 2.2 look, but now, it uses the theme of your device, so it looks fresh and clean on Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb and Ice Cream Sandwich.

* Quicklist button.

MovieGallery
Also new in MovieGallery 1.5 is a Quicklist button (don’t worry, you can hide it). While it basically contradicts the reason why I created MovieGallery, the Quicklist button simply brings up a list of all the video files MovieGallery found with the tap of a button, and with another tap, it will start playing your video. This eliminates the need to flip through your images to find the movie you want to watch.

* Image loading.

MovieGallery

Because MovieGallery displays images, it takes some memory to run. If you have a lot of movies, or large images, this can cause it to exceed the Android limitations. With MovieGallery 1.5, I changed the way the images are loaded, which should eliminate most memory-related issues.

MovieGallery video player zoom

MovieGallery Full Screen

MovieGallery (for NOOKcolor and NOOKtablet) can be found in the NOOK Appstore here.

At the time of writing this, B&N still has the 1.4 version listed. Somewhere next week, the 1.5 version should be live.

Contributor
janzin

Re: MovieGallery 1.5 Available Soon

Got the new update, its great, thanks! I really like the Quicklist; it would be nice if there were an option to display just the title, and not the full path, as its a bit hard to scan; but no big deal.

One enhancement that wasn't mentioned, which I am very thankful for, is that now you can rotate to landscape in either orientation. Before, you could only rotate to landscape with the volume buttons at the top edge; now, you can rotate it to landscape with them at the bottom. The way my Nook case works, having them at the bottom is preferable, as I can sort of stand it up.

Czechboy

janzin wrote:

One enhancement that wasn't mentioned, which I am very thankful for, is that now you can rotate to landscape in either orientation. Before, you could only rotate to landscape with the volume buttons at the top edge; now, you can rotate it to landscape with them at the bottom. The way my Nook case works, having them at the bottom is preferable, as I can sort of stand it up.

This is really a good thing to mention.  Because of my case, I also had problems with having landscape mode only work in one direction.  MovieGallery is one of the best apps that B&N offers, and the app is continually being improved and updated.  DVD Catalyst support is awesome too (same developer as MovieGallery).  1.5 is definately a welcome update!

Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma

I also like the feature in 1.5 that allows me to hide the "folders" and "Quicklist" buttons.  I am just about ready to attempt setting up the streaming capabilities from my main computer now that version 1.5 has that as a built-in capability.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

j-andersonjma wrote:

I also like the feature in 1.5 that allows me to hide the "folders" and "Quicklist" buttons.  I am just about ready to attempt setting up the streaming capabilities from my main computer now that version 1.5 has that as a built-in capability.

For the streaming setup, I wrote an article that should help:

http://www.tools4movies.com/2012/01/how-use-moviegallery-with-mp4-streaming-server/

For the NOOK devices, the streaming-flag needs to be enabled. I'm not sure why this is for the NOOKs and not for most other Android devices, but it is needed.

You can enable the setting in DVD Catalyst (enable streaming for pc in Global Settings > Tweaks) so your future conversions already have it. For ones you have converted without this setting, just add the files in the MP4 server app, select them (one at a time) and tap on the small orange lightningbolt button.

Czechboy
0 Kudos

dvdcatalyst wrote:

For the NOOK devices, the streaming-flag needs to be enabled. I'm not sure why this is for the NOOKs and not for most other Android devices, but it is needed.

You can enable the setting in DVD Catalyst (enable streaming for pc in Global Settings > Tweaks) so your future conversions already have it. For ones you have converted without this setting, just add the files in the MP4 server app, select them (one at a time) and tap on the small orange lightningbolt button.

dvdcatalyst,

Will the streaming feature work if you have all your video files on a network drive as opposed to a pc?  I'm under the impression that I would need to load something onto a pc for this feature to work and I don't think I can do this with the movies on a network drive.... unless I can load it on my pc and point to a shared netwok location (maybe?).  Anyone tried this?

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Czechboy wrote:

dvdcatalyst,

Will the streaming feature work if you have all your video files on a network drive as opposed to a pc?  I'm under the impression that I would need to load something onto a pc for this feature to work and I don't think I can do this with the movies on a network drive.... unless I can load it on my pc and point to a shared netwok location (maybe?).  Anyone tried this?

It all depends on if you can reach the files somehow.

The MP4 Server app basically runs a website on your computer, and when you visit it, it shows links to your movie files, so when you visit that website on your NOOK's web browser, you just tap on the link and the video will play.

The MovieGallery connection to MP4 Server simply has MovieGallery connect to it, get a list of the playlists you setup and the links to the video files, and it displays them on your NOOK in a friendlier way.

If you use a NAS of course you can not run the MP4 Server on it, so in order to be able to access the movies on that directly, it needs to run something like a web server so you can just browse to them using the NOOK's web browser, or you need an application that can connect to network shares, so you can access your movies in a similar way as you do on your computer.

I haven't stayed current with available apps for the NOOK, and with the initial MovieGallery release for the NOOK being denied because of its folder-system, I don't know if there are any, but file-manager apps like Astro / ES File-Explorer are apps used to do it on other Android devices.

Correspondent
Temetka
0 Kudos

Once I am done transferring some movies to my Nook Tablet, this app (whatever it's current version is) will be purchased. I have read enough good things about it to make me want it. Considering it's only $2, I think it will be well spent. Thanks for letting us know about the coming update btw. It's nice when devs make an effort to get in contact with their user base.

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. - Voltaire

“If there were no God, it would have been necessary to invent him.” - Voltaire
Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Temetka wrote:

Once I am done transferring some movies to my Nook Tablet, this app (whatever it's current version is) will be purchased. I have read enough good things about it to make me want it. Considering it's only $2, I think it will be well spent. Thanks for letting us know about the coming update btw. It's nice when devs make an effort to get in contact with their user base.

Thank you Temetka,

The main reason for me starting software development in the first place was because the apps that were available at the time did not what I needed it to do so I made my own.

Since then, I actually listen to suggestions and requests from the people who use my apps as well. DVD Catalyst 4, my main product, as well as MovieGallery both have grown way beyond of what I actually need them for myself, and I only created ImageGallery because the people on these boards actually asked for something like it. I don't do anything with pictures myself, so for development ideas I asked here on what people wanted to see in the application.