Contributor
Ivebnnooked
0 Kudos

Multiples Copies of EPUB Books When Sideloading NST

When sideloading EPUB books from the library onto my NST, I get multiple copies of the same book.  The first copy is in the standard epub format and opens as it should.  A second copy has the extension  .epub.annot  and underneath the title it says it is an "Unrecognized File".  Sometimes a third copy appears in the NST library with an extension of  .epub.png  and again says it is an "Unrecognized File".  Neither of the latter two copies will open.

We also have a Nook First Edition and I sideload these same books to it without having these extra copies appear.  Having the extra copies uses up extra space in the NST's library and memory and makes it more difficult to find and open a usable copy.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Are there any suggestions on how to eliminate this?

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Re: Multiples Copies of EPUB Books When Sideloading NST

Are you side loading with Nook for PC or Calibre? The .png file (or sometimes a .jpg) is a common effect of side loading from calibre. It is a thumbnail of the book cover. The .annot is a new one on me. Haven't seen that one before.
Contributor
Ivebnnooked
0 Kudos

I'm downloading from the library to my PC using Adobe Digital Editions and then directly sideloading from the PC to the NST.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

It may well be that ADE behaves similar to Calibre. I suspect the Nook totally ignores the other files and just uses the EPUB, because when using Calibre I've deleted the other files and it worked just fine.
Wordsmith
Fred011
0 Kudos

Ivebnnooked wrote:

When sideloading EPUB books from the library onto my NST, I get multiple copies of the same book.  The first copy is in the standard epub format and opens as it should.  A second copy has the extension  .epub.annot  and underneath the title it says it is an "Unrecognized File".  Sometimes a third copy appears in the NST library with an extension of  .epub.png  and again says it is an "Unrecognized File".  Neither of the latter two copies will open.

We also have a Nook First Edition and I sideload these same books to it without having these extra copies appear.  Having the extra copies uses up extra space in the NST's library and memory and makes it more difficult to find and open a usable copy.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Are there any suggestions on how to eliminate this?

I assume you are using Adobe Digital Additions (ADE) to sideload your library books.  You are not getting multiple copies of the same book. The annot file is an annotation file associated with the book which stores notes, bookmarks, highlights etc., the png file is a thumbnail for that book that gets displayed, and you should see a manifest.xml file without the book name - that is the library index which is created by, and used by ADE. No need to to anything about the files, they are part of the ADE "environment".

New User
CherokeeME
0 Kudos

I got my Nook for Xmas in Dec. It hasn't worked correctly from the start. I bought 5 books, ended up with 2 extra copies of all of them plus books I nevered order.They did not appear on my BN accrt. No way to delete the extras. No help from B&N. Tried email, chat, etc. It was obvious no one at BN knew what was wrong. I managed to archive some of the dups just to get them off the screen. Today I unregistered the NOOK & re-registered it hoping this would solve the problem. 3 of the books were still on the NOOK. I ordered 5 new books - only 3 have appeared on the NOOK-2 are missing. I also have books that should have been gone after the unregistration are now back. I've emailed BN requesting a refund on the 5 books but problaly won't get it because they look like they're on my NOOK. The appear on my BN acct. I didn't try to get a replacement because I did not want a reconditioned NOOK. I'm switching to Kindle, hope it won't be this bad. Frustration isn't worth it.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger

CherokeeME wrote:

I got my Nook for Xmas in Dec. It hasn't worked correctly from the start. I bought 5 books, ended up with 2 extra copies of all of them plus books I nevered order.They did not appear on my BN accrt. . . .  Today I unregistered the NOOK & re-registered it hoping this would solve the problem. 3 of the books were still on the NOOK. I ordered 5 new books - only 3 have appeared on the NOOK-2 are missing. . . . I'm switching to Kindle, hope it won't be this bad. Frustration isn't worth it.

Your situation does sound frustrating, but it also sounds more like user error (or maybe user misunderstanding)  than system error.  

The OP's use of "multiple copies of epub books when sideloading" referred to multiple files which began with the same book title, not really multiple copies of the entire book.  Is this also what you mean?  If you actually mean that you had multiple covers/listings in your NST library for the same book, is it possible that you downloaded AND sideloaded the same book to you NST? (There are possibly other ways this duplication can happen of which I am not aware.) 

The unordered titles which appeared--were they the free classics/samples that come preloaded on a  NOOK?

The five new books you ordered (purchased?  from B&N?)--were any of them pre-orders? (Pre-order books can be purchased today, but will not be "delivered" until the announced release date.) Did you buy them all at the same time? (NOOKs tend to "download" about three books at a time before the next books appear and begin downloading.)  Is your Wifi signal consistent?

If there is a B&N store near you, take the NST into the store and work with a person in the store.  Try to duplicate your problems by "purchasing" and downloading some free titles while you are there.  Hopefully the store personnel will understand the problem you are having and be able to solve it quickly.   

If working with someone in store is not a possibility, there are many capable and helpful people on these boards who will be glad to help IF you explain your problem clearly and want help.  Of if you do chose to go with a Kindle . . . happy reading on your new device!

Contributor
Ivebnnooked
0 Kudos

Re: update to Multiples Copies of EPUB Books When Sideloading NST

The response by Fred011 to my original question was spot on.  Thanks.  I should have acknowledged this sooner.  The NST belongs to my wife and the multiple files were really annoying to her.  Once I understood that each file had a separate purpose, I experimented and found that by using my computer I could remove the png and annot files without affecting the readability of the downloaded ebook.  Now when she goes to her library she sees only one file for each book.  She's happy so I'm happy..

New User
djDB
0 Kudos

Re: update to Multiples Copies of EPUB Books When Sideloading NST

I'm having the same problem on a samsung tab 2.  I have checked that I have no other copies of the book on the tablet and there is nothing but one copy of the epub but I'm still getting multiple tiles of the same book in the library.  There is no option of deleting the extra copies available as they are side loaded converted prc files.  Any suggestions on how to correct this?