06-06-2011 12:39 PM
I just downloaded my first library book for my nook color directly do my nook color and I can't read it because my nook doesn't recognize it. I just got Adobe digital editions on my desktop to transfer to my Nook, but it's still not showing up in that library either. When I try to drag it from my nook library to my desktop library (ADE), it errors out. Please help me! This is my book club book and I have to get reading. Thanks!
06-06-2011 12:43 PM
I Googled your question and this is what i found:
"The .acsm file isn't the book - it a purchase ticket that allows you to download the book.
In Digital Editions you can find the path to the book in the Item Info dialog. You can bring up the Item Info dialog from the Reading Menu (in Reading View) or pressing Ctrl+I (Cmd+I on the Mac)."
Hope that helps!
06-06-2011 12:54 PM
(You may ignore Step 1, but I highly recommend it as it makes it easier later on._
Step1. On your PC create a folder with the name of your Library in a place where you can conveniently locate it.
Step 2. From your Library's website, download the book file to the folder you created in Step 1. If you skipped Step 1, it will probably go to your "Downloads" folder.
Step 3, After download (which will take all of 5 seconds), open the folder where the file is located using Explorer.
Step 4. Double click the file name, and the book will open in Adobe Digital Editions. Be aware, that when you downloaded the first time, you were downloading permissions for the book and when ADE opens it will actually download the book, so you must be connected to wifi.
Step 5. Connect your NC. It should appear in the left menu of ADE. It may say, "NC" or "media."
Step 6. Drag the book over to your NC designation in the menu (the red x will become a green + when you are over the right directory) and drop the book.
Step 7. Unmount your NC and open "Library" "My Files" "Digital Editions"
Part of the reasoning for creating a folder for just your library books is that when they have expired, you must go and delete them from your computer, and your NC. It is easier to do if you have them in one place and clean them out as you acquire new ones.
Hope this helps!
06-06-2011 03:09 PM
When I tried to open it in Digital Editions this error message comes up "Error getting license
Server communication problem: E_ADEPT_REQUEST_EXPIRED"
06-06-2011 03:13 PM
A couple of things, Did you authorize your computer in ADE? Is your libary book expired perhaps? If it's not, delete the copies on your PC already and re-download it from the library.
Also ADE has a really good website so you might want to try the troubleshooting section there if the above suggestions don't work.
06-06-2011 03:18 PM
I borrowed the book yesterday, so it shouldn't be expired and I just registered my computer and Nook today with ADE. I can't find the link again through the website because they didn't email me a reciept. This is more frustrating that it's worth.
06-06-2011 03:24 PM
This is more frustrating that it's worth.
Be patient....it will be worth it when you get it running smoothly. Ok, did you use the same e-mail and password for your NC and you Adobe account? They must be the same.
Second, have you gone back to the library website and downloaded the book again? You should be able to do that. Go to "my bookshelf" and click on the down load button.
Thirdly, did you follow all the step as listed above? Did the "permissions" file show up?
Fourth, does your library have a person/department that deals with ebooks?
We will help you all we can, just be patient with us and give us as many details as you can.
06-06-2011 03:36 PM
These are the proper instructions for using using ADE.
07-13-2010 01:32 PM - last edited on 07-13-2010 01:36 PM
This is ADE from A to Z... The most common problems are addressed here and should take care of almost anything that has been reported as a problem in the past. Please forgive the formatting, I did this in Word and these message boards don't allow for a multi-level outline with much grace at all...
Note to other "power users" I know there are shortcuts for some of this, I intentionally left them out, I'm trying to keep this simple.
- While you are at the ADE website, register if you do not already have an Adobe account.
- Your Adobe registration does not have to be the same user name and password that you use for your B&N account, many do use the same logon information to make it easier to remember both.
Setup ADE on your computer
- Open ADE and the “Setup Assistant” will be displayed
- Click “Continue”
- The “Authorize Computer” box will display
- Enter your Adobe account information
- Click “Activate”
- Click “Finish”
Authorize ADE on your Nook
- Connect the Nook to your computer via the USB cable
- Open ADE
- ADE should “see” the Nook and the “Device Setup Assistant” box should appear.
- Click “Authorize Device”
- If ADE does not “see” the Nook, try the following steps.
- Go to “My Computer” (or the equivalent on your PC or Mac) and click on the Nook drive.
- Find and delete the “.adobe-digital-editions file.
- Close ADE
- Restart ADE
- Your Nook should now be visible to ADE, if not
- Go back to the Nook drive
- Find the “Digital Editions” file and delete it
- Close ADE
- Restart ADE
10. Nook will be visible
11. Click “Authorize Device”
- This is not a standard download like you have seen or used in the past, this download is an .acsm link.
- After you purchase or borrow your book, click the download link or box
- You should be asked if you want to open (do NOT choose to “save” the book) in “digital editions” click yes, if you are given the option to ALWAYS open the .acsm link in this program, choose yes or put the checkmark in the box.
- ADE will open and your book will be downloaded into ADE
If you do not have the option to always use ADE to download the following steps will allow you to opt in for this
- Go to Start-->Control Panel-->Default Programs-->Associate a file type or protocol with a program
- The “Associate a file type or protocol” window will pop up.
- Under the “Extensions” heading, select '.acsm' and click the “Change program…” button.
- The “Open With” dialog box is displayed.
- Click the “Browse…” button.
- A second “'Open With” dialog box is displayed.
- Browse to 'C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Digital Editions and select 'digitaleditions.exe'.
- Click “Open”. Adobe Digital Editions is now set to open ACSM files automatically
For a Mac
- Control-click the 'urllink.acsm' file and select 'Get Info'.
- The 'urllink.acsm Info' window is displayed.
- Expand the 'Open with:' section and click 'Other…'.
- A list of programs is displayed.
- Select 'Adobe Digital Editions'.
- Check the 'Always Open With' checkbox.
- Click the 'Add' button.
- Close the 'urllink.acsm Info' window.
- Adobe Digital Editions is now set to open ACSM files.
How Do I Get the Book on my Nook?
Once everything is downloaded, installed and authorized, this is the easy part! Just "grab" the book (that you have previously purchased or borrowed and downloaded into ADE) you want to copy to your Nook, drag it over to the "Nook" (on the left hand side of ADE) and drop it in! If you purchased books from Sony, you do have one extra step, read below...
Adding Sony eBooks to ADE
- Open ADE
- Up on the top left hand side, next to the word "Library" is a down arrow, click it
- Choose the option to "Add Item to Library"
- A search box will pop up
- Browse for the location on your hard drive where your Sony eBooks download, if you have not changed the default, this will be in your "My Documents" folder.
- Go to your "user name"
- Go to "My Documents"
- Go to "My Books"
- Go to "Reader Library"
- You will find all your Sony eBooks in the "Reader Library" as long as you didn't choose to change the default location when you installed the Sony eStore software.
- Select the book you want in ADE
- Click "Open"
- Your book(s) are now in ADE and ready to be dragged and dropped onto your Nook.
I want to return my library book early, how can I do this?
Beside the book (highlight it in ADE) you will see an arrow, click on the arrow, one of the options is to return the book.
When I plug my Nook into ADE, I have error messages and some of my books don't show their covers, it's just a black box!
While Barnes and Noble eBooks are in the epub format, they have a special DRM (copyright protection) that most other epub books do not use, Apple is the only other exception that I know of. So your B&N eBooks cannot be read in ADE, or on a Sony or Kobo eReader (for instance) while your library books and anything you have purchased through Sony, Kobo, Borders, etc can be seen and read in ADE on your computer.
Don't worry, this doesn't mean anything is wrong with your eBooks from B&N, they just aren't compatible with ADE. All versions of epub, except the Apple iBooks eBooks, are compatible with your Nook.
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A
10-21-2011 02:11 PM
Thanks Jeremy! Found this discussion via google. Your steps worked perfectly for me.
Glad to be of service!
03-06-2012 08:39 AM
Thanks man, that really made it easy. I fiddled around forever trying to drag that book all over the place in Adobe Digital Editions but never over my nook icon. When i dragged it over my nook icon, it turned green and dropped right in. Great help with your post.
01-12-2013 12:55 AM
I have followed each of these steps precisely and everything works to the point of pulling the book up on my Nook Color. When i click to open the book it goes to a black screen. the only option is to click the home screen button. I have deleted the books and gone through the entire process again but am still getting to this point and then just the black screen. Any suggestions?
01-12-2013 10:59 AM
Does this happen with just this book, or others you have downloaded through ADE? Can you read the book on you computer?
There's also the option of downloading the Overdrive app. Most libraries use Overdrive to manage their ebooks and you can download the book to the app and read it that way.
01-19-2013 09:48 AM
I've tried it with several books & the same thing happens. Yes I can see it on the computer and open it there but not on the Nook.