Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: My Nook won't turn on!

Two thoughts:  your NC has been acting squirrely, which can be hardware or software.  As a start, be sure the screen is clean - this can help with some of the screen sensitivity issues.

To try to eliminate the software side of the equation, remove any SD card you might have in.  Sometimes a problem in an SD card can prevent an NC from booting. If that makes your NC stable, great - format the card and see if your NC is happy. 

If your NC comes up, finally, but isn't stable, take  a look at the Nook Engineer's sticky on doing a hard reset of your NC - this reinstalls big chunks of the OS and may help. (Leave the SD card out for the time being, to minimize the number of variables.) 

If your NC won't power up even when you connect it to its USB cable and the cable to a PC - this should force a power on and let you try for the hard reset - you probably have something unable to connect in your NCs innards. 

If, after a hard reset and with no card inserted, your NC keeps spontaneously shutting down, your unit probably needs to be replaced.  If you can't get it to power on when connected to a PC with no card onboard, your unit probably needs to be replaced.  I'd start with the store you bought it at, even if a reseller who carries them is closer.  Some BN shops are great about doing replacements when they have stock, if the device was bought there you'll have much better luck. 

I don't know how Best Buy or Staples handle warranty replacement after 30 days, but I'm not sure how long you've owned your NC.  If you're inside 30 days, they should help out. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
gsweely
0 Kudos

I had similar problem wit nc after installing sd card. Found that removing card soved problem. 16gb sd card. Formatted as regular card that i saved a few files to from pcto read. Not set up with root kit. Reinsralled card and worked for a while but locked up again. Reformatted card which deleted all files and no problems since.
Holder of life's abstracts.
Inspired Contributor
Trekkie7

There's actually some NC Peoples out there that don't use their NC for days (maybe minutes, I might fathom)?????  YIKES . . . .

Have a Nice Day

Inspired Contributor
BonRuth
0 Kudos
Inspired Contributor
BonRuth
0 Kudos

roustabout
0 Kudos

BonRuth, if your guide is good, you could demonstrate that by posting relevant excerpts that are clearly written, on-point and helpful.

In this case, you've provided a link to book about rooted NCs and the OP does not indicate they have rooted their device.  Not the best start. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Reader
jpfeiffer
0 Kudos

I've only had my NOOK color for a week and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't go back on. Well, i did the hold the n for a few seconds and then the power button the same and walla it turned on. Thank you

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

My CM7 Nook Color had this very issue just yesterday.  I charged it and then it would not come back on. Instead of panicking I tried one of the things I'd remembered reading:  holding the 'n' key and the power-on button at the same time for about 30 seconds, and right at the end of those 30 seconds, it powered on.

deemure
0 Kudos

Just one other possible explanation for this. Sometimes the cord goes bad. You plug it in to charge and think it is. The light is green. If the cord goes bad or won't connect correctly and the NC was really at a liw charge, it may lose more charge when plugged in because it isn't charging. Beyond a certain point, it will not turn back on. If you use the same cord to connect to a pc, nothing will happen, either. One thing I tend to do, because I have had 3 cords now go bad (actually the 3rd works on and off), is when plugged in I verify that it says it is charging. If it is at full charge and plugged in, it should say "full". If it says "discharging", something's wrong.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
New User
cb78
0 Kudos

I just had this happen to me and pushing power button fo 5 seconds then release and push for 10 seconds is only thing that worked to turn it on.

New User
Kat1KA
0 Kudos

Holding down the n then the power button worked!!!!  I am soooooo happy!!!

Distinguished Correspondent
Nookycooky
0 Kudos

I LOVE this discussion board!  My nook would not turn on.  I did different button pushings, nada.  I came on here and saw this answer...n button for 5 seconds, then let go and push the  power button for 10 seconds.  I got my watch, the one with the second hand.  I did the sequence and voila!  My nookcolor is back to normal again.  I can't THANK YOU enough!!!!

Nookycooky and "Oliver Nook"

All charged up and ready to go...my Nook's are too....
Reader 4
padiddle
0 Kudos

This worked for me!  I tried holding down all three: power, nook button and volume +.  Nothing else worked.  I was searching for the hole to press with a paper clip like the laptop / desktop computers. Hard to figure out what to do if you can't take the battery out ...

Thanks for the suggestion. Back to reading.

By the way, I added an SD card this afternoon, and shortly after that, my trouble began.

Contributor
Licktee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I hope someone can help me as I am really frustrated! Hang in there, it is a lengthy story!

I bought a used NC 2 days ago. The guy showed it to me using his BN account and everything worked fine. He removed his account, which erases all data. No problem. It went through the screen of erasing all data, then went to the "read forever" screen, where it seemed to hang for about 30 minutes before I held down the power button long enough to turn it off (20 - 30 seconds). As you may have guessed from the title of this post, it wouldn't turn back on!

Fast forward about 8 hours of searching the Internet, including this community, and trying literally EVERYTHING I could find, including: holding the power button down for 2 seconds, 20 seconds, 60 seconds; in combination with the n button, the n button and + button; charging it all night - the light stayed yellow, never turned green;I even took the back off and unplugged the battery (which I have read can't be done, but the tiny wiring harness was there and I unhooked it) for 30+ minutes and hooked it back up. The most promising, yet unsuccessful, method was to hook it up to a computer, which was supposed to turn it on. The NC didn't turn on, though the computer DID recognize it when I held the power button for 2 seconds, then it would beep and the pop-up would disappear as if I had unplugged it.So I figured from this that the NC wasn't completely dead, because I could see that something was happening. Yet, I couldn't get the screen to do anything.

I kept trying different combinations of button pushing over the next few hours. Shock of shocks, 3-4 hours later, after doing nothing, I pressed the power button for 1 sec. and the screen flickered and the NC burst into life, fully reset!

I used it a bit yesterday, the battery said 90% the last time I used it. This morning the screen had the red battery saying it was too low to function. I had left the wifi on, not thinking that would be an issue. I plugged it in and it had the "read forever" screen. It was that way for a long time, too long in my mind. I unplugged it and the screen stayed that way. It wouldn't respond to anything except powering it down by holding the power button for 20 seconds. Guess what? Won't turn on now!

Sorry about the novel. The point is, this is twice in two days that it wouldn't turn on and I don't know why. Any help would be much appreciated!

Wordsmith
Droiddict
0 Kudos

Are you sure that you have a real Nook Color charging cord?  There have been issues with them and the former owner might have given you a cord that doesn't work well to charge the NC. Can you take it to a Barnes and Noble store?  The techs there will probably let you try one of their chargers to see if it will power up when they plug it in. 

Another thought--if there is an SD card in the unit, take it out before you try anything else. They can cause issues. Anyway, a B&N store will try to help you without checking warantee first.  They want you to be able to READ. Just sounds like it's not getting enough power to function.

Contributor
Licktee
0 Kudos

I haven't had an sd card in it at all.

The a/c adaptor says bn on it. The cord has the n on both ends. I'll try taking it to a bn store.

Contributor
Licktee
0 Kudos

Is it possible that some process is running in the background that is draining the battery? Is there some way I can do a hard reset with the unit off? I've tried power + n and that didn't work.

Contributor
Licktee
0 Kudos

After a full night's charge it turned on and says 100%. My account is still there. Everything looks fine. It seems that it may be a low power issue as @Droiddict suggested. I'm going to watch the rate of discharge today to see if it appears that there is a process running that shouldn't be.

Thanks for the reply @Droiddict!

Contributor
Licktee
0 Kudos

I spoke too soon. While using the NC this morning it suddenly shut off and won't turn back on. The battery read 100% (I checked it several times this morning to see if the power level was dropping) and I had only used it for 10 minutes. 

Yep, headed to BN today to check it out.

Contributor
Licktee
0 Kudos

After charging and trying to get it going all day I went to BN after work. They plugged it in to their charger and it fired right up. Okay, so I have a bad cable. They tested mine and said it is working fine. We did a hard reset and it has been working fine since (though I am nervous every time I hit the power button that it won't turn on). No unusual battery drain. Hopefully things are ok from here on out.

Thanks for everyone's posts on things to try, and especially for @Droiddict's suggestions.