Contributor
Licktee
0 Kudos

Re: My Nook won't turn on!

Sorry to say that I'm back. My new cable is giving me about the same performance as my old cable. I get about 10 min of use (IF I can get it to power on) then it just goes blank and won't power up.

Any thoughts at this point? Is my battery shot? Did someone mess up the ROM by rooting it poorly and then reinstalling NC OS?

Distinguished Correspondent
Keystoneco

Sorry, :smileysurprised:

But after all of this, I'd be contacting 'the guy' you bought it from.  How old is it?  That would have been the first thing I would have done!

It could be a battery problem.  There have been new batteries being sold on ebay for about $25, if you want to go that way too.

Being that you dis-assembled it to the battery, I'm sure you are SOL on any warranty at B & N.

Sorry we haven't been able to fix your problem. Keep us informed of your progress.  Good Luck!

Contributor
Licktee
0 Kudos

I was at B&N tonight and we tried cables, AC Adaptors, plugging it in to their computer - nothing. The employee dropped the b-bomb! Bricked!

Seriously, I can't get this thing to do anything. Trying to turn it on all day (without an SD card, and with one that has CM7 on it), finally it went on and hung on the "Read forever" screen. Turned it off after about 30 minutes and it hasn't done a thing since. 

I think I have thrown in the towel. I have contacted the seller and am trying to work out a return. 

Thanks again for the help, and giving me the assurance that I have tried everything that can reasonably be tried!

New User
Lynn_C_Ormond
0 Kudos

I was reading on my NC this morning, put it in sleep mode and went to work.  When I tried to turn it on to read during lunch...  Nothing!...  I tried the n button, the power button, held one and then the other in both orders, still nothing.

Pushing both together worked for me.  Thanks.

Lynn_C_Ormond

New User
barryj3860
0 Kudos

Happened tome twice yesterday.  5 seconds on the n followed by ten seconds on the power button worked for me.  Not very satisfying, though.  My Nook is only two months old so I am going back to the store.

New User
Dary17
0 Kudos

Great suggestion.

My Nook Color wasn't turning on since last night. I pressed and held the on button a couple of times until it reacted (the screen blinked and when I pressed it again, it turned on). I did, however, remove the SD card that has the the android ice cream, in case it was overloading the processor.

I rooted my Nook Color and have no problems swapping from Android "mode" to Nook. I just made sure that I purchased a high memory SD card and that any and all changes done to the program has an effect only on the SD card.

Again, thanks a ton! :smileyvery-happy:

New User
Kate_Arduenna
0 Kudos

I have had my NC since Christmas of 2010, and never experienced any real problems until September of last year. At that point it just refused to charge whilst turned on. Now it won't turn on at all. Tried all the button pushing listed in this forum, no luck. Tried connecting it to my computer, no luck. The little light on the cord is yellow, no matter what. Any ideas on what I can try now, aside from going to a store?

Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP
0 Kudos

This worked for me I held the power button and the N button at the same time in about 5 seconds it came on with the start process.

New User
CleoReads
0 Kudos

Thats exactly what happens to mine it goes the that black screen that says "Nook reader..furture..blah blah" then it shows the nook symbol then it goes to the white screen that saya  nook clolor. sometimes it start to download a "update' but then it just starts all over again.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

To Cleo, I would suggest that if you have an SD card inserted, you take it out.  Device hangs from SDcards that are starting to go south sometimes present in weird half-boots.  It sounds as if you have already gone past 8 failed boots, the system is trying to reinstall itself, and can't do so.  It may well be that it can if there is no SD card present.

To Kate, it sounds as if there could be a charger problem, a cable problem, or a nook problem.

You can eliminate two of these if you have a different micro SD cable and connect your NC to a USB port while your computer is on.  The NC can slow charge over USB, so if either your cable or your charger is to blame, using a different cable will slowly charge you up over several hours (I've seen it work in as little as 4 hours on my NC.) 

If that doesn't work, your nook may need to be replaced, sad to say, as probably the problem is with either the USB fitting or the battery. 

If you have an SD card in it, removing that is worth trying for your device also, as well as charging from a PC via a different cable. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
New User
crazydoglady63
0 Kudos

thanks, this just happened to mine and following ur directions I was able to get it to turn back on!

New User
sadkat
0 Kudos

yes:smileysad:

New User
lejo
0 Kudos

(power-N-volume+) this solved my issue thanks.
New User
bro_jo
0 Kudos

wait lemme get this straight im having the same issue with my nook my cousin may have rooted it while was gone and thought i'd like it and now it just wont turn on and i got it 3 weeks ago D:< so my warrintys for a year and im wondering if how you got ur new nook color after the other one if you paid anything or the warrinty covered it and al

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

bro_jo wrote:

wait lemme get this straight im having the same issue with my nook my cousin may have rooted it while was gone and thought i'd like it and now it just wont turn on and i got it 3 weeks ago D:< so my warrintys for a year and im wondering if how you got ur new nook color after the other one if you paid anything or the warrinty covered it and al

If it's rooted, your cousin broke your warranty! The good news is that the NC is nearly impossible to kill with software, so it can be fixed if that's all that's wrong with it. I would ask what explicitly was done to it so we can help you with fixing it.

Have you tried long-pressing the power button? It could be hung with a black screen. When this happens, you can see a low glow from the screen in a darkened room. If you hold it 20-30 seconds, it will force a power off. Hold it another 20-30 seconds until you see a flicker. That's usually a sign that it's starting up.

Of course, make sure it's juiced up.

Reader
kag240

YOUR CORD COULD BE BAD

My NC crashed, and I had to turn it off with no prompt.  I plugged it in, the little "n" lit up, and NOTHING.  Then, after wandering around the board for awhile, I realized that my power cord (which looks a little bent and has acted shifty in the past) was bad.  I used the cord from my little basic nook and powered up - realized that the battery was totally drained.  So beware - just because the "n" lights up either orange or green doesn't mean that the cord is actually charging your device. 

New User
LittleFlower
0 Kudos

My nook Color wouldnt charge. I bought new charger & soon after, same thing happened, so we purchased

ANOTHER charger, now my nook Color wont turn on OR charge!! I am disabled due to MS and

I read A LOT. its too bad I can no longer use my nook color, & at the time of the first problem was just at one year. Very dissapointed.

Kathleen Olinger

nookless in Wyoming

New User
cassielovespj
0 Kudos

Thanks, guys! I was all worried my Nook was dead forever, but thanks to the helpful hints here, I brought it back to life.  :smileyhappy:

New User
cinderellahas4
0 Kudos

Thank you for your suggestion. This totally worked for my daughter's nook.
New User
allura_tentando
0 Kudos

Thanks so much! I was nervous that my screen was broken and that I would be out of 250$. I just bought my nook and I was highly upset. Now its working fine. Thanks!