Correspondent
Ace7

My Nook won't turn on!

Ahhh!! So My Nook Color won't turn on. I plugged it in to charge, the green "n" on the charger turned on... Just went to unplug it, and now it won't turn on! I just tried to connect it to my computer, and the same thing happens.. doesn't turn on, but the "n" is green.

I've never "rooted" my Nook, only installed 3.0 onto and SD card, then erased the SD card, and installed 2.2 on the card. I've never actually touched anything on the Nook's hardware itself.

HELP!

Facebook.com/CustomizingYourNookColor
Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
0 Kudos

Re: My Nook won't turn on!

Did you try holding the button in for a few Seconds? The button on the top left. Try this also while its pluged in. Hope this helps.
Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Ding ding...We mite have are 1st "bricked" NC
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Just kidding. Does the screen flicker at all when you hold the power Btn?
Correspondent
Ace7
0 Kudos

I tried everything, pushing it, holding it, pushing more than one button at the same time... then after about 10 minutes, I tried pushing the power button in on different angles, and it finally turned on. Now I'm scared to turn it off again..so I haven't...

And I don't think it's possible for me to 'brick' my Nook, seeing as I didn't do anything to the Nook itself, only installed on the SD card.

My first thought was that my power button is jacked up. But, when I plugged it in to charge, the Nook still wouldn't turn on (Because doesn't the Nook always automatically turn on when you plug it in to charge?).. and it wouldn't turn on when I plugged it into my computer's USB either. Sooo, it must be something more than the physical power button, right? (Plus, I've never once dropped it)

I emailed B&N customer service. If it is broken, I'd like a replacement before my warranty is up (I received it as a gift on Christmas.. no extended warranty... the original is a year warranty, correct?)

phoneboy
0 Kudos

Online or store Purchase? If online, CALL cust svc, quicker. If bought at a store, take it there.
Reader 4
Larry2210
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Good luck bringing it back to the store.  I have found BN customer service to be nothing short of horrible.  I also recently purchased a nook color with the extended protection plan.  After less than a month I noticed some dead pixels in the lower right corner of the screen.  I took it back to the store to see if they would swap it for a new one.

The nook "expert" in store immediately agreed that it was defective and went to speak to his manager.  When he came back he simply picked up a phone called the 800 number and handed me the phone and walked away.  When I asked the phone rep if I could just exchange it in store instead of sending back, he said that it was up to the store manager.  I spoke again to the nook "expert" and he said that he would get the manager, but in the worst case, since I was beyond the 14 day return period, and would not be able to refund me cash, he could at least take it back for store credit.  The manager came and was very condescending and told me that he wanted to help but the only help he could give was for me to mail it back to BN and hope that the one I got back was better than the one I sent to them.  I explained that since it was so new, I was hoping to exchange it in store so I could inspect the replacement.  He was unwilling to help, even telling me if he exchanged it in store it would count against my one return on the extended plan.  He also went against his own store employee and said he would not return it for store credit.

I called national customer service to see if they could help and the person taking the call said that he thought that there should have been a way to resolve in store and that the district manager would get back to me.  Its almost two weeks later and I haven't heard a word.  I have called back a number of times and they have been unable to tell me when or even if I would ever hear back.

One of the primary reasons I originally switched from Kindle was for the in store experience, for the ability if I needed assistance to deal with it person to person.  I guess that is not possible.

At this point, I am very disillusioned with BN and have decided to just upgrade my K2 to a K3 (which I love) and likely just give my wife the NC as a relatively cheap and slightly flawed flash tablet (once the upgrade comes out).

Distinguished Correspondent
akaCat

Ace7 wrote:

I tried everything, pushing it, holding it, pushing more than one button at the same time... then after about 10 minutes, I tried pushing the power button in on different angles, and it finally turned on. Now I'm scared to turn it off again..so I haven't...

I've had this happen to me a couple times. Each time, it'll come back if I hold down the power button for several seconds, release and wait a few seconds -- repeat 2-3 times. After a few times, I'll see the screen flicker while I'm holding the button and the boot process starts.

Having had the nook freeze on me with the screen on, I have a guess as to what's happening.

When the nook freezes with the screen on, holding down the power button for several seconds will shut down the nook. No "power off" prompt, it just shuts down. Then it's just a normal hard power off --release the button, wait a few seconds, then hold the power button again until the screen flickers and the unit is booting up again.

So I think what's happening is that the nook is just freezing (gotten itself into a state where it can't respond to anything but a power off), but with the screen off. With the screen off it's hard to tell when the nook successfully powers off, so that's why it takes a couple of tries to get the timing right for a power off and restart.

I'm so used to dealing with systems* that need a friendly kick in the ass (hard reboot) once a week or so that returning it isn't worth the bother for me. But that's just me. If you've only had your nook a couple of weeks, you may want to return it.

* Not just windows, Apple fan boys! My ipad and mac also act up on a regular basis, even if it is a bit rarer. :smileywink:

Ace7 wrote:

And I don't think it's possible for me to 'brick' my Nook, seeing as I didn't do anything to the Nook itself, only installed on the SD card.

You don't have to do anything with your nook to brick it, sometimes hardware is just borked coming out of the factory and it's pre-bricked. That usually becomes evident within a couple weeks of normal use, that's why most places have a two week return/exchange on hardware. At a certain point it becomes more cost effective to have retailers deal with a certain number of bad units, instead of tightening QA to weed out the last 1-in-20,000 or 1-in-50,000 defects.

Note: I wouldn't consider this to be bricked, unless it stops responding to a hard reboot.

phoneboy
0 Kudos

Great 1st post Larry. Welcome to the Nookcolor discussion board. hope the kindle3 works out better than the NC. Thanks for stopping by.

Correspondent
Ace7
0 Kudos

phoneboy wrote:
Online or store Purchase? If online, CALL cust svc, quicker. If bought at a store, take it there.

I'm 99% positive it was an online purchase. My brother and I each received one for Christmas from our parents. As far as I know, he hasn't had any problems with his - but I think I use mine much more often than he. If I don't hear anything by tomorrow, I'll give them a call.

And Larry - I hope my experience with customer service isn't as terrible as yours! :smileyindifferent:

phoneboy

Switch it out with your brothers...

Correspondent
Ace7
0 Kudos

phoneboy wrote:

Switch it out with your brothers...

Haha, that's totally something I would do. Evil older sister... maybe when he comes back from college for the summer... :smileytongue:

Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
0 Kudos

Ace7: is your NC still not Working?
Correspondent
Ace7
0 Kudos

Oh it's on and working just fine... I'm just afraid to turn it off! I still haven't...

Correspondent
LadyTessie
0 Kudos

Ace7 - is there a particular reason that you turn your NC off with any frequency? I ask because I believe most folks don't. On page 13 of the manual, BN pretty much recommends not to turn it off other than for reasons they list. Here's part [I left off the how to part but I think you already know that bit]:

Turning Off Your NOOKcolor

You do not need to turn your NOOKcolor off when you stop using it. With a fully charged battery and with Wi-Fi turned on, your NOOKcolor has enough power to last in a suspended "sleeping" state for many days. With a fully charged battery and with Wi-Fi turned off, your NOOKcolor has enough power to last in a suspended state for several weeks.

On the other hand, if you are carrying your NOOKcolor without a cover in a bag or purse, you might want to turn off your NOOKcolor to avoid it being accidentally turned on from its "sleeping" state. You also might want to turn off your NOOKcolor simply to conserve power.

Terry

Correspondent
AnnaKuz

I had this happen to me too! The solution that worked for me was to hold the N button for 5 secs, let go an hold the Power button for 10 secs.

Correspondent
Ace7
0 Kudos

LadyTessie wrote:

Ace7 - is there a particular reason that you turn your NC off with any frequency? I ask because I believe most folks don't. On page 13 of the manual, BN pretty much recommends not to turn it off other than for reasons they list.

Hmm, I didn't know this. I always just turned my Nook off if I knew I wouldn't be using it for at least a couple of hours, I thought it would save battery. Good to know! Guess I won't turn my Nook off unless I won't be using it for days. Thanks!

Correspondent
musicmama2010

I thought mine was the first brick .... last week.

I had a similar problem (before the SD card got stuck incident) and spent about an hour google-searching for suggestions.  OP indicated that he was using an SD card to boot/root, as I was.  Apparently this can 'occasionally' cause the NC's boot sector to become corrupted which causes it to not turn on (paraphrasing because I can't find the post right now).  The suggestion that worked for me was to press and hold the Power and N buttons together for 5-10 seconds and then release them - with the boot SD card removed, the regular NC boot screen appeared and all was well.  Another suggestion involved an even more complicated set of button holds (power-N-volume+)

... Is 'google-searching' a verb yet?  :smileywink:

phoneboy
0 Kudos

You mite want to get it resolved soon

When you start having issues like shop not working, library not syncing, browser not working right, books not loading, etc etc The 1st thing to try is a reboot. Why you ask, I believe that android does not have a way to manually close program(APPS). It will close APPS as resorces are needed. I think the processor get overwhelmed and starts having conflicts. A rebbot closes all APPS and starts fresh. i point this out because you will probably have to reboot a some point.

I am by no means an expert, this is just my understanding of how it works from what I have read online. There are a few on this site that can and will correct me if I missed anything. (As it should be)

:smileyhappy:

New User
Batchy
0 Kudos

My nookcolor froze tonight and would not let me finger swipe it to start reading.  It would not even let me use the touch screen to power off.  I turned it off by holding down the power button, now it won't come on at all.  It had about a 95% charge when all this happened. When I plugged it in, the amber light came on, but it didn't turn on like it normally does.   It has been having an issue of powering off while I am reading lately.  I have tried the suggestions that have been posted, to no avail.  Any more ideas>