New User
runwithsam
0 Kudos

My nook won't let me read my books

My nook tablet won't let me read my purchased books, but it lets me read my samples. This started after I rebooted it. Whenever I try to read a purchased book from my library, it says that I need I need to put in my crdit card infromation to purchase it. I don't want to purchase for all of my books again! How do you solve this problem?

New User
MasterReaderTD
0 Kudos

Re: My nook won't let me read my books

Are you freaking serious?

That's is no laughing matter. You better call customer support as soon as they're open and give em an earfull of that. They will NEVER respond to you here unfortunately.

Here's to hoping you actually end up getting what you pay for. (Something B&N seems to have a hard time providing for their customers.)

Frequent Contributor
geertm

runwithsam wrote:

My nook tablet won't let me read my purchased books, but it lets me read my samples. This started after I rebooted it. Whenever I try to read a purchased book from my library, it says that I need I need to put in my crdit card infromation to purchase it. I don't want to purchase for all of my books again! How do you solve this problem?

B&N's DRM uses your credit card number and name to encrypt the books. The Nook usually get this info from your B&N account, and saves it on the device. In your case it sounds like the DRM key is lost, and that is why you are asked for your credit card info.
Perhaps if you sync your library the problem will be solved. Otherwise you will probably have to use the erase and deregister option, and register your Nook again.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

geertm wrote:

runwithsam wrote:

B&N's DRM uses your credit card number and name to encrypt the books. The Nook usually get this info from your B&N account, and saves it on the device. In your case it sounds like the DRM key is lost, and that is why you are asked for your credit card info.
Perhaps if you sync your library the problem will be solved. Otherwise you will probably have to use the erase and deregister option, and register your Nook again.

When you say you 'rebooted' it, I hope you don't mean 'de-registered and re-registered'.  If you did de-register it, make sure you actually re-registered it under the account you purchased the books under, otherwise you'll charged again for them.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Contributor
corvidapps
0 Kudos

Yes, it might just be that it needs your credit card to verify they are your books.  The book is tied in with the credit card.  

Or as another person said, did you reregister it?  If so are you sure you used the same account.  My sister got into a huge mess because she had two B&N accounts one, with her email address just slightly misspelled.  

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

runwithsam wrote:

I'm willing to bet the message does NOT say "enter your credit card to purchase" because that's not how the nook works - to purchase, you have to have a valid card on the account, you cannot simply enter the card number on the nook. 

It's much more likely that you're getting a message that says, "enter your credit card to open" which means that the nook has forgotten the hash it uses to decrypt the DRM. Just enter your card number and read. You won't be charged again. No need to de-register or call support.