Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
0 Kudos

N2E: Dictionary - A bug or is it me?

I noticed that I cannot get words at the end of a line, (and that are divided in two so that the rest of the word is at the beginning of the next line), to highlight for lookup.   Normal whole words, elswhere in a line highlight just fine, and I can look them up.  I have made several attemps at highlighting, including touching the end half of the word, and touching both halves of the word with two fingers.  Nothing.  I have searched the boards and didn't find anything.

Is anyone else seeing this, or am I not doing something right?  Thanks!

Distinguished Correspondent
RJR443

Re: N2E: Dictionary - A bug or is it me?

I've noticed the same phenomenon.  Just figured it was a glitch in the program.  It can be irritating, though, when there's no other occurrenceof the word nearby. 

More disappointing to me is the lack of a search function in the N2 dictionary. Often, when I'm reading, one word that I see will remind me of another that I'd like to look up the etymology of.  Can't be done, darn it.

Frequent Contributor
mjbrodeur
0 Kudos

I've also noticed this as well. So it's not just you.

Maybe there will be a fix for this in 1.4?

Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
0 Kudos

Good to know it isn't just me.   Maybe someone important will see this and relay this information to the people who can come up with a fix.   Thanks, guys.

Contributor
dumtruck51
0 Kudos

Agreed, while a small issue, it should be fixed.  After all, if the nook knows enough to split the word across two lines it should still be able to recognize the full word.  (Assuming it was split by the software and not physically in the epub file.)

A quick fix is to change the font one size up or down quickly, the word will most likely be placed not at the end and you can look it up that way. 

I haven't had a problem looking up complete words at the end or the beginning of a line, though.

scotta316
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This is crazy, but I can't find any books in my library that use hyphenation at the ends of lines. I wanted to see what you're talking about for myself, but I can't find any examples. And I know I've noticed the hyphenation before. They didn't get rid of that with the update, did they?

EDIT: Okay, I powered my Nook off and on, and now it remembers how to hyphenate again. Weird. And I see what you mean now. It won't even highlight the hyphenated word at the end of the line.

Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
0 Kudos

Thanks for the work-around.   I'll keep it in mind and use it.   But it is a minor annoyance, and hopefully, it can be taken care of one day.   No real biggie, tho.

Contributor
RossTexas

Actually a big biggie. A minor issue is something like the page sometimes turns slower than usual. We are doing b&n a favor by supporting them rather than amazon. Yet in return we get crappy dictionary quality. I'm tremendously dissapointed in the nook.

1. Hyphenated words cannot be looked up

2. Many more difficult words aren't even in the dictionary.

3. Some definitions are not helpful: such as denunciation - the act of denouncing. Since there is no searchable dictionary, you cannot find the definition of denounce unless you use another medium.

4. No searchable dictionary.

My sister got a kindle. I looked at it and it has a searchable dictionary. It even has a choice of 2 dictionaries. Might not be graphical like the nook, but I spend most my time reading rather than looking at the graphics.

As far as seeing b&n address these things, I highly doubt it. I emailed support and received no comments from them. I wrote a review on the nook writing about the dictionary and they blocked it, citing that it violated their terms and conditions. Bunch of bs. I hope that b&n does address these things, but I think they'll play ignorance rather than giving their customers what they want.

Contributor
RossTexas
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hopefully b&n fixes these things and gives us the loyalty we deserve.

Inspired Correspondent
MacFlash
0 Kudos

Just an odd observation that hyphenated words at the end of the line are not always unselectable. I just finished Vernor Vinge's Children of the Sky and was able to look up works that wrapped around the end of the line just fine. Don't know if something different was done with that particular ebook, but it was not a book I purchased through B&N.

Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis

Just posted this elsewhere, so sorry for the repeat. One thing I've noticed is that if I set my font to the publisher's default, I am able to highlight and look up hyphenated words. As soon as I change them to what I want, I can no longer do it. Just a thought for those that can read with the publisher's default settings: I usually need my fonts a little bigger.
Contributor
RossTexas
0 Kudos

Even with publisher's defaults, it's still with particular books. I read all my books in publisher's defaults and don't get recognition on hyphenated words. I've run across one book where it recognized it. Surprisingly, it seems the ones that aren't downloaded from b&n are the ones with higher success of recognition.

scotta316
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

By the way, you can still change the font size when using the publisher's defaults. It will automatically deselect the defaults checkbox when you change the font size, but you can reselect it and the size will remain where you set it.

I've only found a few books that look good with the defaults. Most books apparently don't have the defaults defined, and the text comes out looking jammed together, like the line spacing is too small or something.