Frequent Contributor
Traction_Bob
0 Kudos

N2E Quirks...or is it just me?

I'm loving my N2E (Nook Simple Touch).  The touch screen makes all the difference, and has shrunk an already-compact device even more.  I also find it to be sturdier than the N1E (who's heard of a N2E bezel breaking?).  With all of that said, I've found a few...quirks:

• Spotty WiFi connectivity...though that's not new to N2E (had the same problems with N1E with my router).  Still and all...that problem remains.
  • There appears to be a disconnect with the "current book" shortcut button (which shows when in the library, or the Nook settings screen).  I've had a few ePubs (SmashWords and Gutenberg.org books) where it seems that it loses my bookmark; I click the miniature "current book" button and it takes me to the first page of the book!  But if I go back to the book by tapping Library -> <Title of Book>, it takes me to the right place.
  • The caching problem (mentioned by others, elsewhere); for a time, everything's good!  But after a while, I can't refresh my library (the 'refreshing' circle continues to circle without end), the shop won't show my recommendations, and I can't even view reviews or other books by a book's author on the details page for a book.  Reboot the nook and all's well with the world!  An easy problem to work around, but it shouldn't have to be worked around at all.  Here's hoping for 1.0.2, right?  :smileyhappy:
  • I've encountered this exactly once, as has my mother with her N2E: freezing.  Everything's going great, and I put my N2E to sleep so that I can get back to...chiseling, or what-not.  I come back and when I try to unlock my N2E, nothing happens!  In my case, I was able to reboot it, eventually, and haven't encountered that since.  In my Mom's case, I tried to walk her through rebooting it (over the phone), but it didn't work.  I had her plug it in, and that didn't work, either.  The next morning, though, it worked just fine, and hasn't had a hiccough since.  Okay, right, just once?  But it should be zero times.

Once again, relatively slight complaints for as wonderful as the N2E has been, but they're legitimate.

With my head in the clouds, I'd love to see game applications return to the N2E.  Sudoku where one can tap anywhere on the board, and it doesn't drain the battery like the LCD did?  Dreamy!  :smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone

Re: N2E Quirks...or is it just me?

Regarding reverting to Page 1 of 1;

One of the things that can cause this is plugging your nook into a PC while a book is open. Avoid connecting to the PC while a book is open.

Another thing that cause this is an improper disconnect of the nook from the PC. This can be caused by not waiting long enough to physically disconnect the nook, forgetting to use Eject before disconnecting the device, a power failure or a software glitch in either your O.S. or the nook.

Removing the book from the device then sideloading it again seems to fix the issue for the time being. When I do this and try to open the book (from the Library), initially I get an error message and kicked back to the Library. When I try a second time the book opens to the last page read and the Home Screen displays properly again.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

I don't have spotty issues with either my N1E or my N2E.  Are you sure you're not having an issue with your router?

Frequent Contributor
Traction_Bob
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

I don't have spotty issues with either my N1E or my N2E.  Are you sure you're not having an issue with your router?

:smileyhappy:  Not at all.  I have a pretty old Netgear router, and I've had problems with other devices (though it has no problem with my Wii).  And...never had problems with other routers, so I rescind my complaint about network connectivity with the N2E.

Frequent Contributor
Traction_Bob
0 Kudos

gstone wrote:

One of the things that can cause this is plugging your nook into a PC while a book is open. Avoid connecting to the PC while a book is open.

I can understand this.  And I'm very careful about connecting/disconnecting my Nook; it's either in the Library, or at Home.  What's perplexing is that it isn't the bookmark as a whole, but rather the shortcut button's connection to that bookmark.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Traction_Bob wrote:

gstone wrote:

I can understand this.  And I'm very careful about connecting/disconnecting my Nook; it's either in the Library, or at Home.  What's perplexing is that it isn't the bookmark as a whole, but rather the shortcut button's connection to that bookmark.

I assume there are two data files involved. One for the Library and one for the Home Screen and shortcut.

The one for the Home Screen is extremely touchy and easily confused.

*Hmm.....That sounds like me*

Frequent Contributor
Traction_Bob
0 Kudos

I assume there are two data files involved. One for the Library and one for the Home Screen and shortcut.

The one for the Home Screen is extremely touchy and easily confused.

*Hmm.....That sounds like me*

The two-files thing was that I was thinking, too.  On the other hand, I've never had this problem with B&N books, just the side-loaded ones...I say, as if talking about a long period of experience.  :smileywink:  Again, relatively minor (though it'd scare someone who's halfway through a long book and doesn't realize how to "fix" it), so it's just something I'd like to see addressed, not a reason for me to chuck my N2E onto the nearest railroad tracks.
Distinguished Correspondent
AikiPen
0 Kudos

My N2 definitely has problems. I still love it but I find myself still using my N1 for a lot of reading. I love the screen size of the N2 and and the lack of all the extra space taken up by the navigation screen.

On the downside I find it freezing about once a week. I'll swipe to turn a page and a word will highlight like I'm going to look it up but I won't have the highlight/look up etc. options. Then the swipe no longer works although the page turn buttons will work with the same area still highlighted from the last page. A full shut down and reboot solves this problem.

My other problem is with sideloading. I have 2 pre-teen kids, they each have their own N1s and their own accounts and gift cards (a desire for family accounts is another post). I will download/sideload some of their books onto my nook just so I can see what they are reading. Of course I have to put in the name and credit card to unlock the book. On the N1 once I have entered these I can sideload other books from either child's account and it no longer asks for the unlock info. On the N2 if I read an unlocked book from son's account then go to read a book from daughter's account it asks for unlock info again. (Ok for the first time I've opened a book from an account) then if I go back to son's book I have to enter unlock info AGAIN! It remembers where I was in the book though. Also have to re-enter the unlock for either account if I reboot the N2. The N1 you enter the sideload acct. info 1 time unless you unregister and re-register. This seems like a problem with N2 to me, it is at least a nuisance....to me.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone

AikiPen wrote:

My N2 definitely has problems. I still love it but I find myself still using my N1 for a lot of reading. I love the screen size of the N2 and and the lack of all the extra space taken up by the navigation screen.

On the downside I find it freezing about once a week. I'll swipe to turn a page and a word will highlight like I'm going to look it up but I won't have the highlight/look up etc. options. Then the swipe no longer works although the page turn buttons will work with the same area still highlighted from the last page. A full shut down and reboot solves this problem.

My other problem is with sideloading. I have 2 pre-teen kids, they each have their own N1s and their own accounts and gift cards (a desire for family accounts is another post). I will download/sideload some of their books onto my nook just so I can see what they are reading. Of course I have to put in the name and credit card to unlock the book. On the N1 once I have entered these I can sideload other books from either child's account and it no longer asks for the unlock info. On the N2 if I read an unlocked book from son's account then go to read a book from daughter's account it asks for unlock info again. (Ok for the first time I've opened a book from an account) then if I go back to son's book I have to enter unlock info AGAIN! It remembers where I was in the book though. Also have to re-enter the unlock for either account if I reboot the N2. The N1 you enter the sideload acct. info 1 time unless you unregister and re-register. This seems like a problem with N2 to me, it is at least a nuisance....to me.

Regarding Lock-ups;
I'm not sure what's up with lock-ups. Although I have never seen one lock-up I have seen my mom's exhibit some of this behavior. Randomly highlighting a word or groups of words.

I haven't been able to reproduce this myself on either of our devices. She can do it on just about every page turn. It occurs when she tries to tap near the top 1/4 of the screen for page turns. When it happens I can tap on the Bookmark icon that appears in the top right and clear the highlighting.

In my mom's case her right hand is partially paralyzed and trembles some. Switching to a swipe motion to turn pages does not cause the issue.

Regarding re-entering authorization;
I don't have to keep re-entering the credit card etc.

Open the folder .adobe.digital.editions on your nook's internal memory. There should be two files in there;
activation.xml
device.xml

Delete the file activation.xml.
Copy one of your kids books (if one is not already present) to your nooks internal memory My Files\Books.

Open and unlock the ebook.

If this doesn't fix the issue there is something else going on we have missed.

Distinguished Correspondent
AikiPen
0 Kudos

gstone - Thanks, I'll have to try the bookmark on the next lock up. Seems like I can read for 20 - 30 minutes before the lock up happens. Then the touch screen won't recognize anything. I can push the nook button at the bottom but that brings up the icons on the bottom which of course the touchscreen won't recognize.

As your suggestion for the downloaded books an re-entering the authorization codes, I'll give it it a try. Might be a while, I find myself reading on the NE1 more and more.

Wordsmith
Tess75
0 Kudos

I love my NE2. I also have the NC1. Both I received as an anniversary gift. The thing that drew me to NC2 was the fact it was made for those that just wanted it for reading without all the apps, that never got used and was a waist for space. The only thing I find frustrating is that when I go my library and am making a decision on a book to read. I am unable to touch the book without it opening. With the NC1 you could read about the book before opening it to read. Then there's the issue of being on road and try finding a Wi-Fi Hot Spot to connect to. Since I knew this it shouldn't bother me. Since I make sure I have plenty of books in my library! :smileyhappy:

For those looking for a simple wasted applications and the NE2 should be number one on your Christmas list. Maybe if you've been really good Santa will get it for you:smileyvery-happy:!

Can anyone help? I think my fingers got glued to my NOOK and I can't seem to put it down!1! :smileyhappy:-
Although it's a good conversation piece when out in public!!
Frequent Contributor
Traction_Bob
0 Kudos

Tess75 wrote:

The only thing I find frustrating is that when I go my library and am making a decision on a book to read. I am unable to touch the book without it opening. With the NC1 you could read about the book before opening it to read.

With the NE2, you can "double-tap" a book and go directly to the description.  Practice a couple of times, but it works.

Tess75 wrote:
Then there's the issue of being on road and try finding a Wi-Fi Hot Spot to connect to. Since I knew this it shouldn't bother me. Since I make sure I have plenty of books in my library! :smileyhappy:

Heh.  Yep, that's the solution there.  You have to fill up on books between watering holes, but at least the power lasts much longer between fill-ups.  I've always got a few classics stashed away in case I finish a book and I'm away from WiFi for a while.

Wordsmith
Tess75
0 Kudos

Traction_Bob wrote:

Tess75 wrote:

The only thing I find frustrating is that when I go my library and am making a decision on a book to read. I am unable to touch the book without it opening. With the NC1 you could read about the book before opening it to read.

With the NE2, you can "double-tap" a book and go directly to the description.  Practice a couple of times, but it works.

Tess75 wrote:
Then there's the issue of being on road and try finding a Wi-Fi Hot Spot to connect to. Since I knew this it shouldn't bother me. Since I make sure I have plenty of books in my library! :smileyhappy:

Heh.  Yep, that's the solution there.  You have to fill up on books between watering holes, but at least the power lasts much longer between fill-ups.  I've always got a few classics stashed away in case I finish a book and I'm away from WiFi for a while.

Thak's for your help. I'll have to try that. My only question is how do you get in the double taps? It's as though you bump the book and it's up ready for you to read.

Can anyone help? I think my fingers got glued to my NOOK and I can't seem to put it down!1! :smileyhappy:-
Although it's a good conversation piece when out in public!!
Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

Tess75 wrote:

Thak's for your help. I'll have to try that. My only question is how do you get in the double taps? It's as though you bump the book and it's up ready for you to read.

Double-tap means to touch the book twice very quickly with your finger.

Tap-tap!

Slow-mo-replay... Tap.... lift finger.... tap.... lift finger

It will take about 1/2 a second before the screen updates and the info is displayed.

New User
Sol_Resonante
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Bob! How are you? Glad to N2E quirks you! :smileyvery-happy:
I think that you have betrayed N1E... nahh, it's a joke! :smileywink:
I write you about N1E on: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/Using-the-browser-to-read-locally-sto...
Could you please read my message? Very thanks!

Sol Resonante

www.13lunas.com.ar