10-10-2012 03:00 AM - edited 10-10-2012 03:07 AM
Here are my tips for reliable, if limited, web browsing on an (unrooted) NST with v1.1.2 firmware:
- Always turn the wireless on manually by double clicking where the wireless icon sits on the top bar.
- To double click, first press the link for two seconds.
- If the Nook seems frozen, slowly shuffle a finger along a blank edge and/or press twice the Nook button.
- If you select and type into a text-entry area and your typing doesn’t show, just continue as though entry is occurring.
- By touching a text-entry area for 5 seconds, an Edit Text menu appears allowing Copy and Paste.
- I suggest creating a simple web page of favourite bookmarks using Awardspace, and searching Google for my_login_name.atwebpages.
- For mobile Facebook, search for m.fb in Google; for mobile Twitter, search for m.tw in Google.
- To enter URLs, search for ass.proxy in Google.
- But remember, there is no Back button or equivalent.
For more detail see the thread: Limited Web Browsing does work!
11-30-2012 08:38 PM
Following my previous post, here are more tips for reliable, if slow and limited, web browsing on an (unrooted) NST with the new v1.2 firmware:
- Beware. Under firmware 1.2, touching the word Settings, or the region underneath it in the Social horizontal bar, returns the Nook to the initial Social screen.
- Scroll up or down with a brisk and steady brush, using all but the top of the screen.
- Use the Return button, which is more reliable rather than the larger Go or Next buttons.
- Use the left and right arrow keys by tapping – holding down the key for repeat only works for the Backspace key.
- In the absence of a Back button, use Proxy Server maxseed.eu or megaturbo.info (ass.proxy is no more) for better browsing through their URL entry box and Address links. Since sites requiring login may not function under a proxy, BeTheBot may be better except for Google Search.