Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

Re: [N2E] Wishlist for 1.1 Update

I don't really want new features, I just want them to evolve the existing ones.

- Fix the shelving so we can set our own orders, backup the shelving assignments to PC/Mac/Linux, heck, DO the shelving assignments in a spreadsheet format on the connected computers ..

- Fix and retain the syncing between devices so I can keep my notes, highlights, etc. and access them across devices or between resets -- better yet, so I can export them.  Read the recent Byte piece on Amazon's Whispersync.  

- Enable passcode security like on the Nook Color.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Contributor
davidn
0 Kudos

But I really like the E Ink screen.  There would certainly be more demand on battery life with more wireless usage, but those like you who prefer long battery life to extra features wouldn't have to enable the extra features.
This brings up another feature that would be nice to have -- on demand wifi: automatically turn it on when needed and off when not in use (if it doesn't already do that). 

TimeTravellerNC wrote:
for those of you asking for more features outside the ability to manage and read your books I would ask you go buy a nook color. I like the idea of a simple reader that gets great battery life. You start putting other junk on it, it will connect up and download stuff more ruining the battery life. The first generation would go dead sitting on the shelf being un read. At least I can get a couple weeks between charges reading every day on the new one. I don't want to go back to the old one that did too much.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

davidn wrote:
But I really like the E Ink screen.  There would certainly be more demand on battery life with more wireless usage, but those like you who prefer long battery life to extra features wouldn't have to enable the extra features.
This brings up another feature that would be nice to have -- on demand wifi: automatically turn it on when needed and off when not in use (if it doesn't already do that). 

TimeTravellerNC wrote:
for those of you asking for more features outside the ability to manage and read your books I would ask you go buy a nook color. I like the idea of a simple reader that gets great battery life. You start putting other junk on it, it will connect up and download stuff more ruining the battery life. The first generation would go dead sitting on the shelf being un read. At least I can get a couple weeks between charges reading every day on the new one. I don't want to go back to the old one that did too much.

Unfortunately B&N doesn't generally offer the ability to "enable" extra features - either they're there or they're not.  Think of it like bloatware on cell phones - there are a lot of users that like the included apps, but if a user doesn't like them there's not much they can do other than root and give up their warranty.  When those added apps and "features" are taking up storage on a limited storage device like the nook, it can be a big deal to a user that doesn't want them.

Contributor
rl3james
0 Kudos

My 2 cents as a prospective Buyer...

I'm following this thread with interest in becoming a Nook User and think it's not only important  that early adopters voice their "Wishlist" ideas but also critical that B&N respond in a timely manner. There are a few issues that might delay my purchase unless I'm confident that a software release is scheduled with fixes and updates.

Just curious, how often has B&N provided software updates for their Readers?

Keep up the great work and my personal Thanks! for making the effort to provide the feedback.

And BTW, my number one request after just a few hours of use would be;

1. Wishlist synchronization between B&N online and Nook.
    (I find it amazing that this was not included...)

Bob

Contributor
Dresh
0 Kudos

rl3james wrote:

I would like know this as well.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
keriflur
0 Kudos

Dresh wrote:

rl3james wrote:

I would like know this as well.

I can only speak for the N1E as I don't have a NC.  For the N1E there were a number of software updates in the first few months after the device launched that focused on bug fixes.  After this they tapered off and I'd guess we've had two in the last year.

There have been no udpates to the N2E so far.  There was an article from the end of June that stated that a B&N source had said there would be an update in two weeks (i.e. mid-July), but we haven't seen it yet.  So the first N2E update could be any day now, or not for weeks.

Inspired Correspondent
debiant

Biggest things for me.

Being able to view and select more than one layer of Table of Contents.  If I have a book in three volumes in one epub, it's impossible to navigate.  There's no reason we shouldn't be able to access multiple layers of TOC

The shelving is a definite issue.  The ops idea is good

PDF pan and zoom yes please

AND... I still want the option to type in a word for look up.  For example I select enure and I get alternate spelling of inure, which doesn't help me because if I don't know the defintion of inure, and I'm unable to look it up.  This should be an option when you click the more button inside a book.  

Inspired Contributor
fjrichman
0 Kudos

Re: Wireless Instapaper and RSS Feeds

davidn wrote:

fjrichman wrote:

Calibre would work regardless of whether the device is rooted or not. 

Not unless B&N decides to install it (I meant run Calibre on the N2E itself, as a NOOK app).

Oh you mean like the android app. Doubtful you'll see that on the N2E without paying first.

Also another thing for my wishlist? Share to work for sideloaded books.

Inspired Contributor
boe0485

Well, I finally took the plunge and got myself a new Nook Simple Touch and I am really enjoying it so far.  I will be passing along my N1E to my daughter.  

After a week of use, here is my wish list for 1.1 enhancements:

1. Open up the browser.  We all know its buried in there.
  2. Make the reading screen customizeable by user.  I miss the display from my N1E. Personally, I would like to see:
    1. the book title in the upper left
    2. battery indicator, wifi status and time in the upper right
  3. Next to the battery icon I would like to see the actual % of battery life left
  4. Make the Home screen customizable by the user.  For example, instead of "What To Read Next" or "New Reads", I would like to see the last 3 or 4 books that I openned.
  5. Ability to delete sideloaded books from the Nook instead of having to hook it up to my PC.
  6. Ability to add to or remove from my shelves from the detail page.
  7. And finally, I would like to be able to reorder the books on my shelves.

Thanks!

Correspondent
ilexq
0 Kudos

Seconding the sentiment that I'd just like the current features to evolve. Or, heck, just work correctly would be nice.

Namely "currently reading," bookmarks, and shelf ordering. So frustrating that I have to skip around and fiddle with my device just to find the bookmarks I had to put in place because it won't hold my place on the book I'm reading when I leave the book to look at my library.

Really hoping for a "bigger" update, SOON. At this point, I'm seriously eyeing the kobo, and wondering if I can just get a refund for my new N2E.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

Is it a sideloaded book?  I've only had one book that my Nook would get confused on and I noticed there was a comma in the file name.  Like "Book, The -- Author.epub"

I took out the comman and suddenly there were no problems remembering what page I'm on.

Correspondent
ilexq
0 Kudos

It is a sideloaded book, but the name is only one word. I'll look at the metadata later and see if there are any other flubs in it, but I've had this issue with several sideloaded books I've tried out. They worked just fine on my N1E.

Contributor
Aueien

I don't know if it was mentioned, but I would still like to see a form of "intelligent" Alphabeticalization, i.e. ignoring the starting "A" , "An" and "The"

After 50+ years, I tend to look for "A Game of Thrones" under Game not A.

Thanks

Inspired Contributor
squirrelsnest

I think this reader has a lot of potential, but until it has some modifications I can't recommend it to anyone. I was going to upgrade my mom from the 1st edition to this, but since some of the reader app options have been downgraded I won't do it.

What I would like:

1. Have the same status bar at the top that we do on the original nook--the book title, wifi connection, battery and time. Or at least have the option to turn it on all the time. I know I can get that when I click in the center, but I don't want to have to do that. Maybe having the time there will decrease battery life, but if it's an option in the settings I'm willing to take that chance.
  2. Furthest read. That option was in previous versions of the original nook, but is not available in the Touch.
  3. In the library, I want to be able to see what page I'm on--just like in the original nook.
  4. I want to be able to see the book's details when I click on it, for side-loaded contents. Right now you can only see a book's meta data for books purchased from B&N.
  5. I want to be able to see more than just 5 books listed in the library. In the original nook, I can see at least 9 on one screen. In the new nook, at most I can only see 6.
  6. The ability to easily see which books are unshelved (like in the original nook).
  7. I want to be able to set up my shelves on my computer or online rather than just on the nook. That includes side-loaded books!!

Those are all of the items I can think of at the moment. I know many have already been asked for, but I figured I would mention them again.

Reader
jwdriggs

I would like to see more customization of the home screen.  Right now at the bottom of the screen there is a what to read next and I have no idea of where those books are coming from because they are nothing like what I've been reading.  How about being able to put my wish list down there.

Reader 2
kevmeist
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I agree that there are several things needed and like your list. I would add that there should be an indication ALWAYS if wireless is ON. Otherwise, the Nook2 sucks battery life bigtime.

I would also like to see Nook memopry and additional SD card memory viewed as "one." None of this separating the memory into 2 different pieces. Maybe for those that like it separated, it could be switchable?

On my wife's Nook2 (already replaced when less than a month old due to excesive battery use) if she looks at settings by hitting the Nook key...when she goes back to the book she was reading...it's at thw wrong page#. I have not seen that on my Nook though. Weird.

Kevin

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Display the description from an ebook's metadata (opf)file for sideloaded books.

<dc: description>

Adding <dc: subject> to search results would also be nice. This is the tag field in Calibre and most publishers use this. It would allow for searches by genre or subject.

Correspondent
ilexq
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I agree wholeheartedly with everything in squirrelsnest's post - wish I could have put it that clearly! 

Hopefully BN will get their act together with a firmware update that addresses a lot of these issues before the new batch of Kindles come out! 

Edited to add: Should we have a new "Wishlist for 1.2 Update" thread, or does this one still count since 1.1 was so small? :smileywink:

New User
Zalcandil

[N2E] Wishlist for 1.1 Update

Better pdf suport. ( zoom pliz)

Landscape mode.

Foreing dictionary. I can´t believe that B&N sold Nook Books en Español and don´t have a native suport for spanish readers ¬¬

keriflur
0 Kudos

ilexq wrote:

Edited to add: Should we have a new "Wishlist for 1.2 Update" thread, or does this one still count since 1.1 was so small? :smileywink:

The latest release is actually 1.0.1, so we're still good with the 1.1 thread, since don't have a 1.1 yet.  :smileyhappy: