Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Re: [N2E] Wishlist for 1.1 Update

kivvie wrote:

The initial poster wanted some way to create a backup . . . If you go (on your computer) to b&n.com and look at your library (under My Account), you can download every book you own to your computer and create your own backup. Everyone should do this since B&N does not guarantee the backup on their server. I do it about once a month ... it just makes me rest easier.

I am seriously jonesing for a N2E. I played with one at the store and it is so small and FAST!

Most of the issues I am seeing here, except the storage space allocation, are issues with the N1E as well. While the shelves option was "better" than no organization system (what we had for a year or so), it is in no way easy to use or organize. My husband uses shelves, I don't.

This is not a N1E or N2E issue, but no, I cannot download every B&N ebook I have bought.  Some will not download to my computer because of the types of books they are.  When I try I get a "file format not supported error," because they were made for the NC.

Inspired Correspondent
mpclemens
0 Kudos

Nallia:  [...] I cannot download every B&N ebook I have bought.  Some will not download to my computer because of the types of books they are.  When I try I get a "file format not supported error," because they were made for the NC.

I'll demonstrate my ignorance yet again on a topic I have no business commenting on :-) but is it possible that you're getting this error because you have Nook software on your PC, and it's trying to read the file? I ask, because I just tried downloading some books, and my browser asked its usual question about "do you want to open this or save it?" I do not have the Nook software installed, so my computer is rightfully puzzled about what to do.

Maybe your browser is trying to launch a reader program instead of saving the file: I would think (ignorance alert!) that you should be able to download from the site regardless of the type of file. It's just downloading-and-opening that's failing.

Have I mentioned that I'm probably talking out of my hat here?

Contributor
mbetter

My main wish right now would be the ability to see metadata for sideloaded content. More specifically, I would like to be able to look at the publish date of a book to figure out which book of a series I would like to read next.

Nallia
0 Kudos

mpclemens wrote:
Nallia:  [...] I cannot download every B&N ebook I have bought.  Some will not download to my computer because of the types of books they are.  When I try I get a "file format not supported error," because they were made for the NC.

I'll demonstrate my ignorance yet again on a topic I have no business commenting on :-) but is it possible that you're getting this error because you have Nook software on your PC, and it's trying to read the file? I ask, because I just tried downloading some books, and my browser asked its usual question about "do you want to open this or save it?" I do not have the Nook software installed, so my computer is rightfully puzzled about what to do.

Maybe your browser is trying to launch a reader program instead of saving the file: I would think (ignorance alert!) that you should be able to download from the site regardless of the type of file. It's just downloading-and-opening that's failing.

Have I mentioned that I'm probably talking out of my hat here?

That's OK.  It's a good question.  No, it hs nothing to do with the NOOK for PC software.  This is what happens when I go into my online library and click the Download button:

I can't download it on a computer that doesn't have NOOK for PC installed on it either.  It's the same error, all the time.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

As to Nallia's point, on first the NC and now the N2E, they have decided to make the B&N content hidden and inaccessible. While right now you can download many of your books from your online library by hitting a download button in your B&N library. However, this is not true for all content. Some kid's books are apps on the NC and cannot be downloaded-they are only available if added directly to the NC. So, there is no way to back them up. It is the unknown here as well-what controlwe will have over items we purchased. It's also about having no idea how much of the reserved partition is in use. I've reached the ceiling on my new nook, but had no idea until I got a popup saying it was full.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Correspondent
mpclemens
0 Kudos

Right. Forgot about the "special" books on the NC. See how far ignorance can take me? :-p

deemure

[ Edited ]

Another wish I have is that there would be some way to mark a book as closed or read. I have wanted this since the nook classic. I sometimes open a book by accident or decide I don't want to read it right now and if you open one at all, it shows up as "reading now."

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS

Add PDB support.  I have 120 books from eReader/Fictionwise that I would want to be able to read.

Frequent Contributor
mettleh3d
0 Kudos

Suggestion:

When viewing Shelves while the filter's on Most Recent, put the books on shelves in their order of most recently read. Currently it is not doing this; shelves and what they display currently are the last changes made to that particular shelf.  Dumb.

Also, ability to re-order shelves.  Duh.

Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis
0 Kudos

The lack of PDB irritates me, too, but I had already complained about that in another thread. The other issue I couldn't remember earlier is one that is a problem for me with the NC, too. It has to do with the lack of support for multi-level content. For instance, a book set up like this: Book 1 Chapter 1 Chapter 2 Book2 Chapter 3 will show up as: Book 1 Book 2 in the contents section. The same book shows up correctly on the Nook app on my iPhone.
Nallia

[ Edited ]
  • Ability to sort shelves by author
  • Ability to manually order shelves
  • Ability to acrchive on a single device only
Frequent Contributor
_deb_

I agree with many of the suggestions here but wanted really to comment on the posts regarding the opinion that this was too soon for a Wishlist post for the N2E. 

BN does not, or should not, take this as critism but instead much desired feedback.  During my time on the BN Customer Council, I can't count how often BN's response to our comments was surprise in the options we wanted addressed.  They loved the feedback...well, I guess if they didn't want the comments, they wouldn't have created the council in the first place...  But really, you can put every thing you have into researching and developing a recipe, but really don't know how good it is until someone tastes it and tells you.

Hope to see you later at...

Contributor
bbrady42
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My wife figured out how to specify the order of the shelves.  Number them and use the "Shelf Name" view.

E.g.. 

1. Current

2. Fiction

3. Non-Fiction

But I agree that when you're in a shelf that the "Most Recent" view should change when you read a book, not when you add it to the shelf.  That just doesn't make sense.  

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

If it hasn't been mentioned already, sync'ing is not working from the N2E.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Contributor
bbrady42
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

If it hasn't been mentioned already, sync'ing is not working from the N2E.

It's working too well for me.  My wife and I share an account and the synching is messing up the pages we're on in books we're both reading at the same time.   Synching what page you're on was someting we could disable on the N1E, but I can't find where to disable it on the N2E.

Contributor
Waylay
0 Kudos

I would like support for .doc and .docx. Improvements to PDF experience (zooming other tools would be nice, don't use preset zooms let use zoom in to find the size that fits us. The Nook simple Touch should be the ultimate in a reading device for any formate that it supports.

deemure
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:
  • Ability to sort shelves by author
  • Ability to manually order shelves
  • Ability to acrchive on a single device only

Very succinct!  Great, imo.  I am also hoping that when and if mynook.com becomes a reality there will be the ability to save shelf names and/or contents maybe in a playlist that could be loaded.  Also, bulk downloads of books, and bulk archiving of books.  I understand if a device can't download more than 5 books at once, but some of this stuff would make de-registering and re-registering less of a pain-or even registering the first time.  I'd love it if my shelves could be the same on all my devices, more or less.

keriflur

I'd like access to the download folder.  I know I probably won't get it, but hey, it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

This would take care of the space issue (not knowing when you're folder is full) as you'd be able to see what's in there and how much space it's taking up, and when moving from one device to another, you can copy the contents of the folder and not have to click download a bazillion times.  It's a two-fer.  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
Arestelle
0 Kudos

There seems to be a bug with linking a Twitter account (keyboard does not come up when you click username and/or password field). I'd like to see this fixed.

(If this happens, you can still link your Twitter by navigating to a regular Twitter log-in screen, logging in, then going back to the authorization page. It should remember that you're logged in. Mine did.)

"One day a tortoise will learn how to fly."--Pratchett, Small Gods

Reading: The Demon-Haunted World
Last book read: Leon Martin and the Fantasy Girl (as a test reader--not yet published)
Contributor
skcwa
0 Kudos

What? N2 doesn't support PDB files like the N1 did? I was reading these posts to decide if I want to get the N2, but if it doesn't have PDB support, I may not want to. I have purchased a number of books via Fictionwise as well. One of the reasons I liked Nook was because I had options to purchase from a variety of sources.

I also wish N2 had a 3G option. I never have been able to get my N1 to connect to my home wireless router because it's encrypted. Has anyone had problems with the N2 connecting to a secure wireless router?

Thx