Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: [N2E] Wishlist for 1.1 Update

keriflur wrote:

So, heh, let's request page number progress on books that are not on either the last page or page 1.  :smileyhappy:  That should be simple and doable.

Nah, they'll only break something "fixing" it.  :smileywink:

Inspired Contributor
MrTwyst

My biggest wish is the same as many others'. 

Shelf management from within the book info screen. I'd like to decide to put the book on one or more shelves without scrolling through my library from within the shelf.

This is a parameter which is so basic, I'm surprised they overlooked it.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Big_Dave_H wrote:

jpcapili,

Well, let's put it this way:  The first generation Nook has been out for how many years and they JUST released version 1.6. 

The first generation nook has been out for 1.5 years.  That's it.

►Without order there is chaos◄
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

RMansfield wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

RMansfield wrote:

I'd like to request an easy method for screen capture/grab just like on the Nook Color.

I don't believe you can capture an e-ink screen due to the technology.

This is simply not true. I can capture a screen from my Kindle with ease (alt-shift-G). 

I did preface it with "I don't believe" didn't I?  :smileywink:

►Without order there is chaos◄
Contributor
RMansfield

AlanNJ wrote:

RMansfield wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

RMansfield wrote:

I'd like to request an easy method for screen capture/grab just like on the Nook Color.

I don't believe you can capture an e-ink screen due to the technology.

This is simply not true. I can capture a screen from my Kindle with ease (alt-shift-G). 

I did preface it with "I don't believe" didn't I?  :smileywink:

My apologies, Alan. My words do come across stronger than I intended when I look at them now. I didn't mean to sound accusatory toward you. 

Contributor
TimeTravellerNC

I would like meta data on books that are part of a series so that they can be sorted in order.   Not all series are written by the same Author (Star Wars, Star Trek, etc) and also sort so that 10 is not after 1, 20 not after 2, etc.

It's really hard to find the 'next book' when you have 10, 20, or 30 in a series and they're sorted by authors.

Reader 2
Twotalent
0 Kudos

One of the things I thought about today was how it would be nice if there were some sort of internal cross-reference between books. Like if I'm reading something and want to find all the other books this particular person or place is listed in. I know there's a search feature, but having the ability to highlight and cross-reference would be awesome:smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone

[ Edited ]

Browsing through other threads this morning I have come to the conclusion the N2E requires two things;

1. An instant gratification button.
  2. A Valium dispenser.

B&N might have been able to satisfy these requirements by including a genie in each device but the N2E has neither speakers nor a microphone to communicate with the genie.

*Did I say that outloud?*

Reader 2
ctucker10
0 Kudos

I would like to see an option for adding personal files to Nook wirelessly via a special email address. Another popular reader has a feature like this. I think it would be great addition to Nook.
Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis
0 Kudos

I can't remember if it was this thread or not, but one thing that has been mentioned - by others and myself - is having issues with looking up hyphenated words. I was playing around with this tonight and I think I may have hit on something. Under my normal preferences, I am unable to look up a hyphenated word unless it happens to be the last word on a "page". (And by page, I mean the bottom right corner of the nook screen.). For the heck of it, I switched the font to "Publisher Defaults", and I could look up every hyphenated word I tried. Granted, this issue still needs to be resolved, but thought I would pass this along. I only tried this in one book, so it's possible it is a fluke, but again, thought I would pass it along.
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

Some very good ideas and I'm anxiously awaiting my N2E (just ordered last night) so I can check it out.  As others have said, the time to voice the wish list is now -- updates in 3-6 months don't happen overnight, they have to start with listing what will go into the update then planning out the software development and testing NOW.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
New User
MrAntonio
0 Kudos

(I didn't bother to read all the posts, but I suspect this has been addressed, so...) Here's more hoping the browser becomes indeed a browser and the pdf management is improved. These two features would kill the competition as of right now.

Reader
Shivery
0 Kudos

Big_Dave_H wrote:

Personally, I would like to see all the social networking stuff removed from the reader. 

If I want a browser and all the social networking stuff, I'll buy a tablet.  Besides, I can already hit the social networking pages from my phone, my laptop, and my desktop. 

This little device is an eReader, not a tablet computer.  B & N should simply focus on making it the best eReader they can.  Leave the rest of the features to tablets. 

100% QFT.  If I wanted a calendar, address book, social connectivity, I'd do it on my computer, etc.  Personally, I was really disappointed when I fired up my N2E the first time and saw all this useless crap, and wished it were more like the N1E.  My "most desired" feature would be an option to turn all this crap off (and hope that doing so would squeeze more runtime from the battery).

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Shivery wrote:

Big_Dave_H wrote:

Personally, I would like to see all the social networking stuff removed from the reader. 

If I want a browser and all the social networking stuff, I'll buy a tablet.  Besides, I can already hit the social networking pages from my phone, my laptop, and my desktop. 

This little device is an eReader, not a tablet computer.  B & N should simply focus on making it the best eReader they can.  Leave the rest of the features to tablets. 

100% QFT.  If I wanted a calendar, address book, social connectivity, I'd do it on my computer, etc.  Personally, I was really disappointed when I fired up my N2E the first time and saw all this useless crap, and wished it were more like the N1E.  My "most desired" feature would be an option to turn all this crap off (and hope that doing so would squeeze more runtime from the battery).

Yes, there is no useless crap like games or anything on the N1E.  :smileywink:

FYI none of the "crap" you're referring to is "turned on" anyway, so it doesn't effect your battery.  It's not even in the main menu.  So if you don't like it, just ignore it.

Contributor
laperuz
0 Kudos

May be it's my Nook, but here's what I'm getting. Whenever I'm away from a book I'm reading (like the dreaded Home Screen), I am tapping on the "now reading" book, it sends me to page 1. Hence my request:

1. Keep it to the current page from wherever you tap on a book.

2. GET RID OF THE SHELVES! I've been a loyal Nook supporter from the initial release of the N1E. But it beats me WHY can't they just allow us to use a "normal" file system??? Let us organize it the way WE want - folders, sub-folders, etc.... Or at least make it an option.

3. I don't want to repeat other requests, but on the top of my list also - the clock, progress bar, No Home Screen.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

laperuz wrote:

May be it's my Nook, but here's what I'm getting. Whenever I'm away from a book I'm reading (like the dreaded Home Screen), I am tapping on the "now reading" book, it sends me to page 1. Hence my request:

1. Keep it to the current page from wherever you tap on a book.

This seems to be a problem either with your nook or the book you're reading.  This isn't standard behaviour for the nook.

Contributor
laperuz
0 Kudos

An update:

I tried all kinds of books. It seems the problem with Home Screen "Reading Now" being always on page one is limited to sideloaded material only. With B&N books it's on the correct page. Nevertheless, since I have quite a few sideloaded books it is an issue for me. And it needs to be addressed.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

laperuz wrote:

Nevertheless, since I have quite a few sideloaded books it is an issue for me. And it needs to be addressed.

Are all of your sideloaded books .pdfs?

Wordsmith
SCIONTX
0 Kudos

laperuz wrote:

An update:

I tried all kinds of books. It seems the problem with Home Screen "Reading Now" being always on page one is limited to sideloaded material only. With B&N books it's on the correct page. Nevertheless, since I have quite a few sideloaded books it is an issue for me. And it needs to be addressed.

I'm not experiencing this issue with sideloaded epubs. You may have to do the dreaded factory reset if rebooting doesn't help.

Frequent Contributor
mettleh3d
0 Kudos

It is currently happening to the novel i am reading. sideloaded, clicking the banner reading now brings me to pg 1. this is the first and only time this has happened though and 95% of my stuff are sideloaded.