Wordsmith
BruceMcF

Re: NC pwer cord Issues - where do we stand today?

MissConnie wrote:

I am disgusted with this power cord issue! I've had to replace the cord 6 times in the last eighteen

months. I'm making a trip to my local Barnes and Noble tomorrow for cord number 7. The insulation has fallen off the plug and half of the tiny wires have become disconnected. Can you say, "Kindle?"

Wow, how are you that hard on a power cord that you have knocked the insulation off the plug?

You sound like the kind of user that led them to put the proprietary wide plug on the Nook HD/HD+.

Contributor
Charkie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I have had several to go bad like this myself, and I am very careful with the cable. It is a poor design and everyone is aware of this fact. Don't blame poor decisions and poor designs on others. the temperature at the transformer/power head often reads well over 195 degrees by infrared thermometer and i am sure that the high temperatures lead to degradation of the plastic housing. Poor design any way you look at it.
Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Charkie wrote:
... It is a poor design

Yes, as I myself have said dozens of times.

... and everyone is aware of this fact.

Which is why I didn't bother repeating it yet another, redundant, time.

One of the principle reasons that it is a poor design is that it provides too much leverage at the tip for such a narrow socket. Another is the decision to put the charging / charged LED design inside the cable tip housing instead of on the device side.

It seems that B&N learned their lesson, since they didn't repeat the mistake of extending a micro-USB plug for their higher amp fast-charge plug for the Nook HD/HD+

Correspondent
tuck229
0 Kudos

MissConnie wrote:

I am disgusted with this power cord issue! I've had to replace the cord 6 times in the last eighteen

months. I'm making a trip to my local Barnes and Noble tomorrow for cord number 7. The insulation has fallen off the plug and half of the tiny wires have become disconnected. Can you say, "Kindle?"

We have had four Nook Colors in our house for the past year and have only had one cord go bad.  I know it's not a great design and there was a problem with them, but there has to be something else going on for you to have that many go bad.  Two of our Nooks are used on an almost daily basis by teenage boys, so I can't imagine what has been going on with yours to have that many cords fail.

Buy a Kindle if you want one, but they are far from flawless too.  After comparing notes with my Kindle owner co-workers, I am glad I went the Nook route...and a couple of them have said they wish they would have instead.

New User
julz73
0 Kudos

Yep...I received my NK last Christmas, the power cord failed six months later. I bought my daughter a NK last summer and, like clockwork, her power cord just failed. B&N agreed to replace both times. Hope the design flaw is fixed. This is ridiculous.
Inspired Contributor
jimmy1
0 Kudos

I purchased my NC in Feb, 2011 and it is used every single day.  Usually charged every night and the cord remains pulgged all the time. I am still on my original cord.  

You laugh at me because I am different, I laugh at you because you are all the same.

Running MIUI 2.4.6
Frequent Contributor
Lulugirl28

Re: NC power cord Issues - where do we stand today?

I have had my NC for two years (no extended warranty) and about six weeks ago,  the cord started having connection issues. The connection wasn't tight, so my NC wouldn't charge.I had to prop something under it to make it "fit" tight into the charging slot. I was afraid it might be the battery.  Barnes & Noble replaced the cord for me for free. I was told that they had issues with the original supplier and when they realized it, they switched to another one. I told them that I had just given a NC as a gift and hoped that the cord wasn't bad on that one. They gave me another cord to give to my friend.

Please take your Nook into a nearby store and have them look at it. I am sure they will help you.

New User
ReeRee-der
0 Kudos

TOTALLY AGREE! Definiely upgrading to a Kindle this Christmas. The cord thing is rediculous! My houseing/insulation has also fallen off...again...and I refuse to buy ANOTHER cord.
Wordsmith
BruceMcF

ReeRee-der wrote:
TOTALLY AGREE! Definiely upgrading to a Kindle this Christmas. The cord thing is rediculous! My houseing/insulation has also fallen off...again...and I refuse to buy ANOTHER cord

You could also upgrade to a Nook HD. In the new design, they've dropped the extended high-amp micro-USB approach entirely.

New User
brainna15
0 Kudos

Just talked to customer support about replacement power cord. Out of warranty as it was purchased late Nov 2011. Even though they know it wasn't registered/used till Dec 25th like probably most of the ones sold between Thxgiving and Xmas..If they bad at this then what will happen with a Nook HD if those have problems? .Well they made up my mind about a NOOKHD+ really fast. Do not even have to go to B&N to get gift cards for kids again. GL B& N ..from a New Kindle user! Rooks!

New User
gr82talk2
0 Kudos

Welpers new here, but not to nook. I got the 1st edition for xmas of 10. Had a problem with cord 6 months in. Went to store was told to contact cust service. Why couldnt they swap it out at store? So told cust service i need new cord its under warranty. I wait and get wall unit sent.um i call and tell them what happed and they say sorry and sent out another one . Well lets see my nook is dead due to waiting for the first cord and now ihad to wait another5 days for the 2nd correct cord to come im. Unbelievable . Couldve been avoided if it couldve been swapped out in store.not a happy customer. Got nook tablet second edition in xmas of 11. Had cord problem with this one in dec of 12 . Call store and hesays he canswap if under warranty which he cant check- call cust service. I call and see i have warranty for 10 more days. She will send a cord out. I tell her ill go to store and swap it with employee.to save on shipping time and cause its faster due to the issue i had a year ago. She says no she will ship one out they dont swap them out at stores. So i have to wait and have a dead nook for 5-7 days when i can drive 15 min and get one ? What service is that? Not a happy customer. I go down to store anyways and tell them i have warranty till dec 10 2012. He takes my old cord and swaps for a new one he had. 7 days later i get a cord in the mail.guess i have a back up for when this cord gives out.its nice to get it replqced for free with awarranty but cmon,i shouldnt have to be without my product for a week when its easier to go to store. Isnt that why we have still have bn bookstores? I guess bn doesnt see it that way.i wont be buying another nook of any kind after this.problem shouldve been fixed before the launch of the tablet. Thanks for letting me vent!
Reader 4
MikeWS
0 Kudos

This weekend my Nook Color began having the same charging problem, and is also not being recognized by my computer for side-loading.  I went to a B&N store to try their plug, only to learn that the problem is not with my cord -- the pin in the nook's socket is bent.  My Nook is 22 months old, so out of warranty.  I called B&N cust service, and their best offer was to offer me an out-of-warranty replacement for $85.

Really now B&N -- you are giving me the chance to give you more money for the privelage of another one of the same problem-ridden units?  I now agree with everybody that B&N is not interested in fixing the problem, nor do they care to build loyalty to their products.  They are only asking us to continue to give them more money -- even though that is not going to make the problem go away! 

I was not seeking an upgrade.  I was simply hoping that (at my expense) I could send them my Nook, and have them replace the socket, so my aged nook could still be used.  I asked if I could instead swap for a Nook Simple Touch (so I did not have the same faulty plug/socket), and they said the best they could offer was to send me one for $79. Yup...the same as buying it in the store.  Really care about our problem, huh?

Wordsmith
BruceMcF

MikeWS wrote:

This weekend my Nook Color began having the same charging problem, and is also not being recognized by my computer for side-loading.  I went to a B&N store to try their plug, only to learn that the problem is not with my cord -- the pin in the nook's socket is bent.  My Nook is 22 months old, so out of warranty.  I called B&N cust service, and their best offer was to offer me an out-of-warranty replacement for $85.

That's a bit generous of them for a device that is nearly a year out of warranty.