Contributor
Nook_User
0 Kudos

NGL - cleaning fingerprints off the screen

Since the new white NGL has a 'special screen film' already installed from the factory, what is the best way to clean fingerprints from the display?

I think the user manual suggested a clean microfiber cloth, but I'm hesitant to do this until I hear from others.  My screen is nice and scratch-free, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Re: NGL - cleaning fingerprints off the screen

If you get an eyeglass cleaning kit, the cloth in there is totally safe to use on the NGL.

You shouldn't get too many fingerprints on the screen, unless you're eating particularly greasy foods while reading.  Though should you wish to clean the screen I would suggest using one of those to wipe it down.  If the fingerprints (or whatever) persist, I would wet a tissue (preferably one that's soft puffs plus for example are fine), squeeze it so that it's only damp, and lightly rub the screen, then use either the lint free cloth or a dry tissue to wipe away the dampness from the NGLs screen.

If you're trying to remove dust from the screen a q-tip that is slightly damp will do the trick just fine. 

Always keep in mind you shouldn't need to press down with force.  Just brush the screen lightly. 

A good example of the lack of force you should use: take your finger and touch a surfect.  Your goal is to make contact with the surface but not to cause the tip of your finger to spread around the side. 

That's not to say you -can't- use more, but that's all the force you should need unless you've spilled something on the screen.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
keriflur
0 Kudos

I would not recommend a tissue or anything else with wood pulp in it. A microfiber cloth and some breath should do the trick. You can also use a clean, soft (old and many times washed) t-shirt in place of a microfiber cloth.
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

I've used tissue on my NST, NSTG, and NGL.  All are the screens are scratch free.  You really shouldn't need to clean the screen often, and definitely with very little pressure. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
bobstro
0 Kudos

I find that tissue can leave behind annoying little fibers that really show up in certain light. I make a point of having a microfiber cloth handy whenever possible. For devices that have IR sensors, I use a soft paintbrush to clear the sensor gap. This pulls dust and lint out rather than jamming it further in with a cloth.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Anything made of wood pulp can leave behind little fibers that can accumulate in the IR gap, and every once in a while something not so soft makes it into the mix that can scratch the screen. For the IR gap, I've never needed to use anything to clean it, I just blow along the edge to get dust out.