wisdombunny
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK Color Update 1.4

lol

Frequent Contributor
momof3redheads
0 Kudos

I sideloaded the update yesterday.  I followed the instructions step by step and it was easy.  So far I have no complaints about the update.

Reader 4
HappyWithNook
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I now have a bar at the bottom of my home screen that I can't remove. 

The very same thing happened to me after I upgraded to 1.4: There is an ugly white bar at the bottom of the screen and I cannot find a way to remove it. This is definitely not the daily shelf.

If I choose to make the media shortcuts visible, this white bar will be right above the shortcuts.

It looks like a bug to me. Not a big deal, but still annoying.

On an unrelated note, it would be nice if B&N's community forums were optimized to work with the Nook's browser.

DRV
Wordsmith
DRV
0 Kudos

Contributor
Jo5329
0 Kudos

I broke down and loaded the update myself.  

It was the first I've done and was a bit nervous, but it went smoothly. 

So far I haven't done much with it, just looked at the new stuff.  But I agree, the N button pushing is not a good idea.

Reader 4
LizinWa

:womanhappy:I was at the mall yesterday afternoon.  I went into B&N and walked over to the Nook sales desk.  As busy as they were, they gladly updated my nook.  They have a computer dedicated just for this.  It took less than five min.  No problems so far, loving the update.  Great Customer Service.

Contributor
Vlek

You guys are straight lulsy. Do you really think that Barnes and Noble really care about their nook color community? If they did, they wouldn't have waited until now to give us this half done crappy update to give it the abilities of the tablet they just released. They only put this update out to make us feel like we're not completely gyped so we don't switch to the kindle and further wreck their quarterly sales numbers. Get used to pressing that "N" key, the obnoxiously wide white bar on the homepage, and the ridiculous app shelf-looking page; there will be no patch or option to opt out.

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,358

[ Edited ]

> Do you really think that Barnes and Noble really care about their nook color community? If they did, they wouldn't have waited until now to give us this half done crappy update <

Well, that seems a bit cynical, don't you think?

I see you've risen again, after a 6-month absence, Vlad.  Sorry, I mean Vlek.  Why so negative, Count?  Get up on the wrong side of the crypt?  :smileyvery-happy:

- Mark

Frequent Contributor
Irishelf
0 Kudos

Finally got tired of waiting for the update and did it manually.  While some things did improve (landscape mode and slightly faster speed), some things are WORSE.  The apps store is a complete mess.  The font will not change for many of the books I downloaded directly from BN(this is a biggie for me, as I am visually impaired and the inability to change the font of a book to a large size means I can't read the book).  I don't like the fact that my credit card info is shown (I don't think it's a good idea to advertise on the device that a default credit card will be charged-this was one of the main criticisms of the Kindle Fire.  I know you can check that a password be necessary for purchase, but couldn't a thief just uncheck that.)  And the night screen is still dk gray-not black, which would be better for me.  So far for me, I would have been better off NOT downloading the update.

Contributor
nookieloverJF
0 Kudos

I spend most of my time in the n2a software but I did have my local Bn store put the 1.4.1 update on my nook color. I love the fact that I can delete items from the NC without hooking up to my laptop. That is so much easier. If anyone with 1.3 still on your nook, could you tell me how many apps are there available now? Merry Christmas everyone.
Contributor
kevinlovesbooks
0 Kudos

I just got my nc yesterday and im running 1.2   so when will my nc update to 1.4 via wifi?

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,314
Solutions: 18

Irishelf wrote:

...  I know you can check that a password be necessary for purchase, but couldn't a thief just uncheck that?

No, not unless he/she knows the password.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Frequent Contributor
Yada_Yada
0 Kudos

I am liking the new update as well. IMHO the best feature I have seen is that I can now delete with out hooking up to my computer.

Is there a list of all of the new 1.4 features?

Reader 4
WowWow
0 Kudos

"the obnoxiously wide white bar on the homepage"

Could someone please explain to me what this means? Recieved my NC on Sunday (had the original nook previously), sideloaded the update 1.4 easily following the instructions.....and I'm NOT seeing this "wide white bar"?

Contributor
luvs2cruise
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

nookieloverJF

I am still running 1.3, waiting for the update to come ota.  It says there are 2,115 apps available.

Contributor
Jo5329
0 Kudos

WowWow wrote:

"the obnoxiously wide white bar on the homepage"

Could someone please explain to me what this means? Recieved my NC on Sunday (had the original nook previously), sideloaded the update 1.4 easily following the instructions.....and I'm NOT seeing this "wide white bar"?

Mine isn't "wide white" either - more a smallish grey at the bottom.  Anything on that (like a lazy susan) will go to either home page you flick to.

Like my Droid phone, I have stuff split up.  So I can put what I want on the bottom bar and flip to which screen I want it on and then pull up to that page.

I really don't have a problem with it actually.  

Frequent Contributor
AmyMacEvilly
0 Kudos

My NookColor also didn't update automatically, so I did the sideload from my MacBook Pro and it went fine.

I read all the posts so far so that I would know what to expect.

What folks haven't mentioned is that not only can you access the Apps from the Library now, but there's also a "check for updates" for your Apps, which I just did. Nice! AND now GoodReads is fixed: I had to archive and redownload it, but now it doesn't bomb out.

I could do without the Kids tab in the Library: it'd be nice to at least have the option to remove it. 

With the Apps accessible in the Library, about all I need  the pop-up menu (and so need to hit the N button) for is the Web browser. 

Someone mentioned that the dictionary now has a direct look-up option: how do you access that?

Contributor
pumpkinking

Delays in Automatic Update 1.4?

I heard a rumor that B&N has put the automatic update on hold because of glitches in the update. Maybe these are just rumors. I would not be at all surprised if they were. But the update does seem to be going slowly, and I'm wondering if those who have sideloaded the update are the guinea pigs. Realistic or paranoid?

Reader 2
bg7143
0 Kudos

I have tried to download the update but the Nook is not recognizing it.  Any ideas?  I have followed the video to a "T".

Wordsmith
CraigAZ

[ Edited ]

bg7143 wrote:

I have tried to download the update but the Nook is not recognizing it.  Any ideas?  I have followed the video to a "T".

Are you getting an error message or other odd event?

From reading the forum, I read that some folks have to power down and restart their nook color to get the update to start--power down meaning a long power button hold until you're asked to confirm that you want to turn off your device, and tapping OK to shut it down. You may also want to remove any SD card you have in the device before starting the process. One last thing to try is to make sure you have a good charge on the battery, then remove the charger and USB cable and let the update try to run with the nook color running on battery alone.

Other common problems have been:

-a corrupt download (cure by deleting the update file and downloading again)

-trying to unzip the download file--or a browser that tries to auto-unzip the file

-placing the file in the wrong directory in your nook color

-not letting your nook color go to sleep which is when the update will start
-if you see an android guy, penguin, or triangle with an exclamation point, then you somehow had Clockwork Recovery installed to the nook color and you'll need to work through this issue to get 1.4.1 to start and complete successfully.

Let us know how things proceed for you.