Contributor
Ron1962
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK Color Update 1.4

My wife has become completly fustrated with the update.

The ability to chance font size has been eliminated.

To overcome this, she rotated the Nook 90 degrees. This makes the font slightly larger, but it is not user friendly.

How can we revert to the previous version?

Ron

Correspondent
LadyTessie
0 Kudos

Hi Ron,

Do you mean changing the font size on an ebook? That has not been eliminated. It's still available and I believe in the same manner. Tab in the middle of the book's page and the menu appears at the bottom. Tab the Text button and you can adjust the font size.

Terry

Contributor
Ron1962
0 Kudos

That option is no longer available on that menu.

This is a ebook from our library. The update occured while she was reading the book, before the update the option was available, now it is not.

Correspondent
LadyTessie
0 Kudos

I did mean tap not tab - but you knew that. Bummer for the loss. I don't think I've had a library book since the update so I wouldn't have noticed for that type of reading material. I am currently reading a side loaded book purchased from kobo and the font change is still available. I realize not exactly oranges to oranges but both are side loaded. Maybe downloading from the library again? And/or are the publisher defaults at no?

Terry

Inspired Wordsmith
A_Wilson
0 Kudos

I have downloaded several library books since the update and haven't had any issues resizing the text.  When I tap in the middle of the screen i still get the option for text sizing and all the other stuff.  I was momentarily thwarted by the "Publishers Defaults" being selected, but unchecked that and was able to resize.  I did have to reauthorize with ADE after the update (many people had to do this with the update and what a pain when you are in the middle of reading) and redo the whole download from the library and transfer to my Nook for one of the books that I was in the middle of reading, but other than that I haven't seen any other issues.  Maybe try unchecking Publishers Defaults or reauthorizing ADE might be needed? 

Oh!  I had another thought...Is the book she is reading an Epub or is it a PDF book?  I have read about problems with resizing text on PDF's since the update, maybe this is why she is having a problem.  (I always pick the Epub to download, so I don't know about the PDF options).

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." - Mother Theresa

“Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.” Ian McKlaren

Contributor
Ron1962
0 Kudos

Where is the publisher's defaults located?

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ron1962 wrote:

Where is the publisher's defaults located?

For epub books, it's at the bottom of the font selection screen. Tap in the center of the screen as you're reading a book to bring up the Reading Tools menu, then select the text menu. The Publisher Defaults toggle is at the bottom. Tap it to toggle it from ON to OFF and you should be able to adjust font, letter size, margins, line spacing and theme settings.

Take a look at page 7 of the NOOK Quick Start Guide and page 35 of the NOOK Color User Guide to find info on the Reading Tools menu.

If the library book is a PDF, I believe your options are more limited.

Contributor
Ron1962
0 Kudos

I don't have a text option at the bottom of the screen.

I have 3 choices, content, find, and brightness. 2 other options are listed, not available, they are discover, and share.

bobstro
0 Kudos

I realized her library book is likely a PDF, so was editing my response when you posted yours. Please take a look at the info at the bottom of my previous post.

Contributor
azk123
0 Kudos

Yep, my experience since the update has been that epub library books allow you to modify the font, pdf's do not. The book I'm currently reading is a pdf and I'm reading it in landscape mode so I can enlarge the text by doing the pinching/finger spreading thing (don't know what the proper term for that is, lol).

bobstro
0 Kudos

Ah, that would be "pinch and zoom".

Contributor
azk123
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

Ah, that would be "pinch and zoom".

Thanks, I was too lazy to go look it up in the owner's manual, lol.

Reader 2
kjlawson2003
0 Kudos

Re: Page turn problems after the update

I just received the update over the weekend...am having the same page turn problem...with three different books in two different formats.  I missed a whole chapter, could not get back to it even with the Go To Page option.  I am very unhappy!  So far, everything else looks fine.

Reader
DomiMomi
0 Kudos

I have the auto rotate checked on my nook color.  It has always worked as it should for over a year.  Now it has gotten locked into lanscape and will not change back to portrait.  Where is the icon that will allow me to change it back to portrait?