BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 40

NOOK Color Update 1.4

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone

Starting today, NOOK Color owners have access to firmware version 1.4, our largest software update ever, that makes the award winning NOOK Color even better. With over 100 feature enhancements, you’ll now be able to access  top video and music services, even more popular apps, NOOK Comics™ and so much more.

In addition, the software update makes it easier than ever to find great new content with a new, enhanced shop experience.  With just a tap, you can shop the redesigned NOOK Store to find your next great read, kids’ book, newsstand title or app—plus get recommendations.  And in response to customer feedback, you can now read books in both portrait or landscape and adjust the text with even more font sizes to choose from. These are just some of the new, exciting features to enjoy on NOOK Color with our v1.4.1 software update—read our full press release here.

You can sideload the update here immediately at no cost: www.nookcolor.com/update. The free over the air (OTA) delivery to customers connected to Wi-Fi begins this week.

As always, reach out to me with questions or comments

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Inspired Contributor
dtmarshall
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK Color Update 1.4

Everybody's wanting others to report what's different...  is there any way we could just get the patch notes?

Don't Panic.
Reader 2
pavlosp
0 Kudos

Well it apears its still froyo ..

Contributor
California-Cori

I've had enough frozen yogurt, can we please move on to gingerbread?  Heck even honeycomb...I feel so far behind in the dessert line.

Frequent Contributor
SeaFractor

Personally I don't care what edition of "Android" it runs under as long as it's solid, performs quickly and allows access to the apps I'd like to purchase.

That stated, I'm really wanting the "Milk Toast" edition :smileyhappy:

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

SeaFractor wrote:

Personally I don't care what edition of "Android" it runs under as long as it's solid, performs quickly and allows access to the apps I'd like to purchase.

That stated, I'm really wanting the "Milk Toast" edition :smileyhappy:

Yep Milk Toast is Ok! But the Real Speed Enhancements doesn't com till "Ovaltine" edition!" :smileytongue:

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Contributor
Magic_Emrys

Oh no. Please don't tell me Nook Color is going to be getting the awful and ugly shop the Nook Tablet has? Ugh. I hate not being able to look at ALL of the apps at the same time and then search for the new free apps.

Contributor
sjsAV

With regard to the menu screen, I liked the previous version where I could press the icon at the bottom middle of the touch screen to bring up the menus.  Now that is gone and I have to press the Nook logo.  Honestly I would rather press the touch screen rather than the mechanical button.  Mechanical buttons have a way of wearing out and not working.  Any way to bring back the home icon on the touch screen?  Perhaps in your next release?

-- Scott

Contributor
California-Cori
0 Kudos

Yes, I just noticed that in the Ap store and was a little turned off.

However, I do love that my magazines are now stacked, I can turn books horizontal and I love that the "n" button brings up the navigation bar and then double click the "n" button and it goes home.  Seems better so far...

Contributor
talkgirl7
0 Kudos

i just downloaded the new update and it worked on my first try lol...now to explore and have fun lol i been waiting for the newtflix update 

Inspired Correspondent
CharFL

[ Edited ]

i love it that i can now DELETE books directly from my nookcolor..sideloaded or downloaded from B&N...instead of archiving it...you now have the option to delete it if you choose!!

but i totally HATE having to push the N button instead of using the arrow as before on the touchscreen....totally HATE it!

would love to have a work around for this...

have found that adding "media shortcuts" to the home screen is not really a solution....

nice feature, but so does not eliminate the need to push the N to get to home screen....

i really, really, really HATE having to press the N over & over & over......it is totally going to wear out way too soon with this "added upgraded feature"....

did i mention i hate it! hahahaha

but i LOVE begin able to delete! :smileyhappy:

Correspondent
TelSC

sjsAV wrote:

With regard to the menu screen, I liked the previous version where I could press the icon at the bottom middle of the touch screen to bring up the menus.  Now that is gone and I have to press the Nook logo.  Honestly I would rather press the touch screen rather than the mechanical button.  Mechanical buttons have a way of wearing out and not working.  Any way to bring back the home icon on the touch screen?  Perhaps in your next release?

-- Scott

That is my thinking also. I may be old fashioned, but I also feel like the more you click on a mechanical button, the more likely it's going to wear out.

Stop Calling It A Tablet
Contributor
talkgirl7
0 Kudos

yeah but now since you dont have to use the touch screen now i wont have a wonky screen where wheni go to touch my screen it wont flash on me now and then i have to keep holding the off button until it shuts down...i like the new update so far netflix is very clear on it love it so far very happy with the new update 

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

BN_AlexG wrote:

> Starting today, NOOK Color owners have access to firmware version 1.4, our largest software update ever, that makes the award winning NOOK Color even better.

This is really great, Alex.  Thanks for the heads-up. 

> With over 100 feature enhancements... <

Can we get a list of those?  Thanks!

> These are just some of the new, exciting features to enjoy on NOOK Color with our v1.4 software update. <

You said that twice.  You said that twice.  :smileyhappy:

- Mark

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

talkgirl7 wrote:

> now to explore and have fun lol i been waiting for the newtflix update <

That is really great!  Now all they have to do is get Tadpole Theater out, and we'll be all set.  :smileyvery-happy:

- Mark

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

Man, if they offer newtflix then they will have to offer romneycinema and obamavision just to give equal time.

Mark_OB1 wrote:

talkgirl7 wrote:

> now to explore and have fun lol i been waiting for the newtflix update <

That is really great!  Now all they have to do is get Tadpole Theater out, and we'll be all set.  :smileyvery-happy:

- Mark

Contributor
kawherp

I'm adding my voice to the chorus asking for the touchscreen quick menu back. I don't want to have to use the N button. The touch screen is easier and faster and doesn't require a shifting of hands since no force was required. The N button needs physical pressure, not a glancing touch. 

I'm looking forward to exploring the new layout, but I want the touch screen menu back!

Frequent Contributor
KD67

If they offer anything with the name Obama in it, then I will be selling my Nook Color! 

Reader 2
PossumVA

PROS

- I love that I can turn books sideways.  

- Love that I can delete sideloaded books!  

- If I can figure out how to use Netflix, I'll be quite happy.

- I like having more options for shading and typeface on books!

CONS

- The spacing on books have changed.  I'm undecided on that one.

- HATE the new navigation in the store.  It's clunky, crowded, I can't choose my way of sorting like I used to, and overall a poor user experience.

- But more than anything, I hate having to use the N button for everything.  It was much easier to just touch the screen, especially if I'm doing something one handed (cooking, crafting, petting the dog, or just lying comfy in bed).  Not to mention there's very few moving parts in the Nook Color and they seem to not be very hearty, so I'm loathe to have to put it to use so much more.  Not to mention, if the N button should malfunction, I would have no way to navigate.  I would have a $250 brick.

OTHER:

- Reserving judgement regarding Netflix and Hulu until I can get them to load.  Are there apps I need, or just go to the sites?

SUMMARY:

- Some good, some bad.  But most of all, I would very, very much like a patch to return navigation with the N button back it to the way it was, or at least make it a preference, as it's actually enough to make me want to roll back to 1.3.

QUESTION: What's the lock icon on some books for?

Contributor
Hubbdave

I also agree about a patch to make the N button thing optional...