Correspondent
wheezie

NOOK Color vs. NOOK Tablet

I'm looking to get my mom a Nook for christmas, but really what's the difference between NOOK Color and NOOK Tablet? Quite confused.

Distinguished Correspondent
MDD73
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK Color vs. NOOK Tablet

The biggest differences, from my understanding, are that the Tablet has a fast processor, more storage, a microphone, and the 1.4 software right now, so it can do out of the box what the Color will need an update to do.

Reader 4
stevedaytona

As far as I can make out, once Color gets the 1.4 update next month (or whenever), the only difference is the Tablet has a superior processor and double the RAM.

I'd say go for the Tablet for the sake of $50 especially if watching Video is a consideration.

As a Color owner, I've decided not to buy the Tablet since it's not that much of an upgrade (especially as I don't anticipate watching much Video on it - that's what my great big large screen TV is for :smileywink: ).

Others may be better informed than I, though :smileyhappy:

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Yep from a user's perspective. If doing a lot of browser internet page loading. Streaming content and Video or Games & Apps then the Tablet will give a smoother experience watching movies to more resource intensive apps being a bit snappier. If mainly Reading and occasional browsing,apps & video then the Color will suffice and perform admiraly.

When the v1.4 is released in Dec. then will have same capapbilities software functionwise as the tablet.

Mostly the Tablet is a beefed up Color nook.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Frequent Contributor
efeigenbaum
0 Kudos

The differences:

NC: 800 Mhz single core processor

NT: 1 Ghz dual core processor

NC: 512 M RAM

NT: 1 G RAM

NC: no microphone

NT: microphone

NC: 1.3 update (1.4 coming soon)

NT: 1.4 update

Contributor
California-Cori
0 Kudos

I'd say depending on what you think your mom will do with it.  Just read and browse the internet, the Color will suffice, it really is a great tablet even without the faster processor and extra RAM.

If she will want to watch TV/movies then the Tablet is the way to go.

I have the color and for reading, web surfing and checking email, its fantastic!  No need to upgrade to a tablet here.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

I'd say it depends on what she wants to do with it.  After the upgrade (and I believe the new NCs come with the upgrande, but you'd have to check on that) the software should be the same.  The NT is faster. I played with one at B&N, and yes, it IS faster.  If your mom is basically a reader and wants to do some basic Internet surfing, the NC should be fine.  (I didn't have a lot to compare it with, but I didn't notice that Internet browsing was any faster on the NT.)  If she wants to watch videos, go with the NT. 

Now, I'm basing that on the fact that, for us, $50 is a significant difference; we're on a tight budget.  If it's not a problem for you to swing the extra money, it's probably always better to go with the newer product.  But if it is...the NC is quite competent and viable. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Well, I do think that even when the NC gets the upgrade some things may not be the same since there is the processor difference and all.  So even if you have some hint she might want to use the browser or watch video, I'd get her the NT.  I have the NC and am getting the NT.  And not all video watching has to be streaming netflix-you could put your home movies on there if you wanted or convert some of her favorites to watch.  The video just has a better chance running more smoothly on the NT.  If she likes magazines and/or cookbooks or even other things, she may want some enhanced versions.  These include content like videos, audio interviews, a lot of illustrations and the like. 

There's also the consideration of how long the NC will continue getting updates.  It may not continue on for much longer, but I'm sure the NT will.  This is important even if she isn't interested in a lot of video or what have you, but she may also surprise you.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Contributor
Trekkie7
0 Kudos

For $50, the two differences ALONE I would pay $100; THINK, THINK . . .

deemure
0 Kudos

An interesting thing I just learned is that with the Kindle Fire, video file sizes on the device are limited to 2GB in size, so anything over that must be streamed.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
roustabout

[ Edited ]

Until someone takes a serious run at really mucking up files in both the /system and /data partitions (not the partitions, just the files) on a Nook Tablet to see how robust the device is at restoring itself, I want to point out that one of the real features of the Nook Color is its incredibly robust recovery mechanism

The Color (and also the Simple Touch) are able to do complete reformat and reinstall for their shipped OSes.  They don't recreate partitions, but they do reformat them and do a completely clean installation. 

This is a lot better than the recovery provided by many or most Android devices.  From what Dean has learned so far about the Nook Tablet, that it does not support one of the key operating system utilities that the Nook Color and Touch do support, I am wondering how good its recovery actually is. 

If the Nook Tablet recovery is not a format, then reinstall but rather a copy in of system files on top of whatever's already there (the more commonly available recovery approach,) then for me at least the Color is a far more valuable device. 

That true recovery cannot be bought or made as of now, and may never be available to buy or make.  A sufficiently mucked-up Nook Tablet may have to be returned to BN for repairs which could last weeks, where a Nook Color can almost always be fixed by booting it from an SD card as a method of last resort, or simply letting it crash while booting 8 times in a row. 

Until I hear that this kind of real restore is possible, I'm holding off on recommending the Nook Tablet even for folks less likely to attack it than I am.  And although I like a challenge, I don't have time just now for another device which can easily eat a weekend or more in service time to make bootable when I have a nearly enough identical device in the house that I know I can restore in under an hour. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
hrosvit

[ Edited ]

I don't mean to be picky, and apologize if I mis-interpreted any of the above comments, but people seem to be saying that the Nook Color is not an appropriate device for watching video and web browsing, and if the OP intends to do these things then the Nook Tablet is the way to go.  I have found this to be far from the truth.

Watching video was the main reason I bought the Nook Color - I already had a Nook Classic for reading, but I travel several times per month, and wanted to minimize the number of devices I had to carry with me, while at the same time maximizing the things I could do with my device(s).  I am running CM7 on a 32GB card, and carry 8 or 10 movies on the card, courtesy of DVD Catalyst.  My device has never hiccupped showing my movies, nor has it given me any issues when streaming Netflix.  The limiting factor with Netflix on my Nook Color is the internet connection available, not my device.  This is also true for web browsing.

I am under the impression that the Nook Tablet has a better picture, but, honestly, on a 7" screen, the Nook Color is more than adequate for my needs.  Of course, YMMV. 

I am not saying that the Nook Tablet is a bad purchase; I am just saying that the Nook Color takes care of all my needs quite well, and those needs include (to a significant degree) video watching and web browsing.  For me, it was not worth the extra money (I got the refurb Nook Color for $149). 

I can't offer any opinion with regards to gaming; the hardest gaming workout my Nook Color gets is my son playing Angry Birds. 

"Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd, smiling."
deemure
0 Kudos

hrosvit wrote:

I don't mean to be picky, and apologize if I mis-interpreted any of the above comments, but people seem to be saying that the Nook Color is not an appropriate device for watching video and web browsing, and if the OP intends to do these things then the Nook Tablet is the way to go.  I have found this to be far from the truth.

I for one am not saying that at all.  The NC is great for video.  Either device is great for video.  It just is true that the NT may be more great, if you get my meaning.  For one thing, it can buffer more video.  And the thing is it can load things faster, do things faster.  Web browsing is faster.

It's just like with any computer-some work great, but others will be faster and are seen as better.  More memory, faster processors do help.  It takes nothing away from the NC at all.

Contributor
hrosvit
0 Kudos

It's just like with any computer-some work great, but others will be faster and are seen as better.  More memory, faster processors do help.  It takes nothing away from the NC at all.

I agree entirely.  No matter what device you choose, there is another one that is slightly more expensive, and does what you want slightly better.  Ad infinitum.

I just didn't want the OP left with the impression that the NC was unsuitable for web browsing and video watching.  It will perform those functions quite well.  The user has to ask himself how much money he wants to spend, and then buy the best device that fills all his needs for that money.  If the Nook Tablet is within the budget and offers advantages to him that other devices don't, then that is the device to buy. 

"Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd, smiling."
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

It seems to me that it is difficult to make this decision until after BN releases 1.4 for the NC.  Then you will have an idea about the differences between the 2 devices in stock form.  Given that the NC can be had $150 refurbished, there is a pretty big price difference.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

As a Nook Color owner, I'd delighted to hear that.  My husband--who is perfectly happy with his original Nook and doesn't understand my pernicious craving for The Latest Bestest Thing--is even happier.  Thank you, sincerely, for keeping me grounded.  My NC is an amazing device that does everything I I bought it to do.  I need to keep remembering that.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

efeigenbaum wrote:

The differences:

NC: no microphone

NT: microphone

NC: 1.3 update (1.4 coming soon)

NT: 1.4 update

great list but 2 things I wanted to add:

NC: 15.8 oz

NT: 14.1 oz

NC: 8 hours max

NT: 11.5 hours max

The battery life may also be comparable with the 1.4 update, as the teardown reports have shown the NT has the exact same battery as the NC, so the software is probably just much better optimized.  (If I recall correctly, that was a much hyped feature of Android Gingerbread over it's predecessors also)

Frequent Contributor
Mike1995
0 Kudos

Should web browsing be faster in the tablet?  The reason I ask is because I was at BN store looking at the tablet and noticed web browsing was the same speed as my NC.  Looking at the same pages- but it tooksame amount of time for a page to load.  The signal stength at the store was fine- just a little surprised.  Unless there was heavy usage off their network?

Frequent Contributor
LoganK
0 Kudos

Mike1995 wrote:

Should web browsing be faster in the tablet?  The reason I ask is because I was at BN store looking at the tablet and noticed web browsing was the same speed as my NC.  Looking at the same pages- but it tooksame amount of time for a page to load.  The signal stength at the store was fine- just a little surprised.  Unless there was heavy usage off their network?

It is a heavy usage thing.

Web pages will not, in general, load faster on the Nook Tablet. (Large complicated web pages will be the exception where you will see a difference.) They will simply be more responsive once loaded; scrolling around, using flash, watching videos ... these are the types of activities that will be faster.

deemure
0 Kudos

Mike1995 wrote:

What I understand is that it's also about bandwidth and there tends to be heavy customer usage in the store right now that can bog it down.  If flyingtoastr were here he could explain the store wifi better.  I do notice the NT is faster at browsing than the NC and I'm using both at home with the same fairly constant wifi usage.