flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923

NOOK Video app now on iOS, Android, Roku

Android:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bn.nook.video

iOS

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nook-video/id570095889?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Oh yeah, and NOOK Video is being pushed to NOOK Color and Tablet starting today as well.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

Re: NOOK Video app now on iOS, Android, Roku

Interesting to see the NC and NT getting some attention so late in the game. It'd be nice if they also got some update attention along with media consumption apps!
Frequent Contributor
EB613
0 Kudos

I'm quite pleased. Even though it's late and all, imagine my surprise when I noticed Nook Video on my NT! 'Course now, you can't shop directly, but I don't care. I've been waiting two years for this (or however long it has been since I got my NT). I do have a question though: I'm assuming only SD videos can work on NT/NC? I'm not figuring HD at all. But I could be wrong. Also, according to BN.com the file sizes for some movies are quite large. I really am assuming that SD video is the way to go? 

I'm going to buy a TV show episode just to test. 

I'm very excited and thank you BN for thinking of NT/NC owners! 

Inspired Correspondent
bugeek
0 Kudos

The roku app is in the roku channel store and supports UltraViolet video as well.
Distinguished Correspondent
lochnez
0 Kudos

I have an HD+ but your link says my device is not compatible! What's up with that?
Distinguished Scribe
Schwa

[ Edited ]

EB613 wrote:

I do have a question though: I'm assuming only SD videos can work on NT/NC? I'm not figuring HD at all. But I could be wrong. Also, according to BN.com the file sizes for some movies are quite large. I really am assuming that SD video is the way to go? 

I'm going to buy a TV show episode just to test. 

The Nook Color will support SD only.  The Nook Tablet supports HD (a 720p stream) but scales it down to fit the screen resolution.  Not true HD, but still a better picture than 480p. 

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

lochnez wrote:
I have an HD+ but your link says my device is not compatible! What's up with that?

You don't need the Nook Video app on a Nook HD as it already supports the content.  The Nook App for books is also incompatible for the same reason.

lochnez
0 Kudos

Thanks! I gave my NT to my daughter. I'll have to have her check it out.
Inspired Contributor
MrBanballow
0 Kudos

Anybody else having issues with the iOS App? I have a 32GB 4th Gen iTouch, and last night the majority of my movies disappeared. I've been left with naught but Amazing Spider-man, A Knight's Tale and Lady and the Tramp. Oddly enough it says my UV Account isn't linked, but allows me to access the first two of those three. Also lost access to Balls of Fury and Hairspray, both bought direct from B&N.

Currently reading: The Complete Sherlock Holmes Vol 1, Grimm's Fairy Tales
Inspired Contributor
MrBanballow
0 Kudos

Okey dokes, two things…

1. I added Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter to my UV Collection tonight, and though my HD+ seemed oblivious to its existence (still hasn't noticed despite repeated refreshes, unlinking and relinking UV, etc), my iTouch added it to my three other movies.

2. I deleted the nook video app, and downloaded again. Lost all UV content (bye Abe), but got back Balls of Fury and Hairspray.

This fun!!

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The older HD's which were released last November don't seem to have any videos show up except those purchased directly on the HD from B&N. We have 4 HD/HD+'s linked to our UV account, and only the most recently purchased HD and HD+, consistently show all movies purchased via B&N, VUDU and Flixster. On my older HD,even B&N movies purchased via one of the other HD's don't even show most of the time. 

Current tally on the HD & HD+ purchased this summer - 455. ON my HD purchased last November-126. On my Hubby's HD+ purchased last November - 187. I figure I would probly need to do a deregister to get all of the movies to show.

I also can't get my movies to cnsistently show on the website. There are still a lot of glitches with the video process. Fortunately, they are almost all visible via VUDU or Flixster(except Secretariat).

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

There are definitely issues with UV synching. I had the same problem on my "original" registered NOOK HD+, but after doing an Erase and Deregister a few months ago they've been showing up consistantly.

Inspired Contributor
MrBanballow
0 Kudos

I just tried erasing and deregistering, now all video content is missing in action, UV and Nook Video included. I think I need to lay down over here... with my face in my pillow, so you guys can't see my tears.

Inspired Contributor
MrBanballow
0 Kudos

Tried it again, now my Nook Videos are back, but UV content refuses to register to my library. :smileysad:

Inspired Correspondent
bugeek
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Have you tried Flixster to play the additional UV files your not seeing?.. UV is a bit testy and not overly centralized..some films will not appear in BNs player and others will. Try installing Flixster and syncing it with UV...

Flixster is also avalible for IOS (as well as most the LCD based nooks, not sure about the Nook Color though)... (which seems to be the platform your having issues with)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/movies-by-flixster-rotten/id284235722?mt=8

Inspired Contributor
MrBanballow
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Okay a quick summary of issues I'm experiencing… iOS / Nook Color Friday morning: Working as intended, library full of four Nook Videos and roughly 20 UV titles. Friday evening: Bulk of movies disappear when app is refreshed. Left with 3 UV titles and only 1 Nook Video. App says UV account is Unlinked. Unlinking UV via uvvu.com causes missing Nook Videos to return at cost of few remaining UV titles. Relinking UV reverts back to 3 UV / 1 Nook Video / UV Account Unlinked status. Nook HD+ Friday morning: Working as intended, library full of four Nook Videos and roughly 20 UV titles. Saturday evening: Noticed that new UV content is not being added to my HD+ Library. Sunday evening: Tried resetting HD+ in an attempt to get UV working properly again. No videos showed in library, UV or Nook Video. Unlinked UV and tried again, got Nook Videos to come up. Relinked UV, got a message that UV titles were being added to my account, no new movies. I don't know what happened, but since Friday evening, UV seems borked on all of my Nook related devices. It make me a sad. Flixster, it works for UV, sure… but there's a big difference between streaming / downloading HD through Nook Library / Video App vs. streaming / downloading SD through Flixster Apps.
Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I feel your pain. I'm just glad I only have issues with one of my HD's. Your  problems are why I'm hesitant to retry unlinking my UV account, especially as I'm sharing the UV acount with my hubby. His HD is registered to a separate B&N  accou nt.  It ' s also one reason, aside from the sheer work involved in reshelving and setting up accounts, why I'm reluctant to try reregistering.

Anyway, I'm gifting my oldest hd with the video synching issue to my sister this weekend. She won't know any better and can watch the videos via VUDU.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Contributor
MrBanballow
0 Kudos

Just got my HD+ few weeks ago when my laptop went kaput, so I don't think age is an issue. I seriously believe that they did something Friday server side (inadvertently , I would assume) that is causing this. I can't think of anything I've done that would simultaneously bust UV across three devices. Talked with chat about it and their advice was to try Flixster, which as I mentioned above is a less than ideal substitute.
lochnez
0 Kudos

Just wanted to add that the Nook Video app on Roku lists and plays UV videos. I currently only have two, but they play flawlessly on my HDTV. (I don't want to alert MyBowelMovement :smileyfrustrated:, but the "key art" doesn't show up. Could be specific to my set up, though, and I don't care, as long as the movie plays.) The point being, you don't have to connect your HD/HD+ to an HDMI port to stream your Nook videos. Now if I could only figure out how to stream that video I bought from Google Play!! Any ideas?

Inspired Contributor
pinnacle7
0 Kudos

Maybe google chromecast.I heard good things about it order one just have not received it yet.