Bibliophile
laurieb52

NOOK for PC is once again available for download.

[ Edited ]

B&N must have decided the clamor was not worth it....

It's back again under the other mobile reader apps.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK for PC is once again available for download.

Yay!

MacMcK1957

[ Edited ]
I'm sure we'll never know, but I'd love to find anyone who could give the rationale for removing it. I don't find either a desktop or a laptop terribly conducive to reading for any period of time, but it is useful to have it at least as an option, and why not support as many devices as possible? Still don't know why they discontinued the Blackberry app a few years ago.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947

The funniest part is they just announced the removal to employees today.

Womp womp.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

I don't know if I should be happy or sad that they didn't announce it in my store.  Then again I'm really the only Nook person there these days.  The other booksellers can talk about Nook but they're gonna call store support for almost everything.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

what a tragicomedy...LMAO

flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

Eh, they posted it on Inside (which means I'm pretty much the only person who noticed it anyway).

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18

[ Edited ]

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

The other booksellers can talk about Nook but they're gonna call store support for almost everything.

Modern software

(from 1996)

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

The other booksellers can talk about Nook but they're gonna call store support for almost everything.

Modern software

(from 1996)

Copyrighted?  Be careful!  The copyright cop might be watching. 

roustabout

The thread that first opened this discussion is now locked

Someone at BN must've burst a blood vessel and asked Alex to start shutting down discussions of Embarrasing Things.  Sorry, D, but I think that someone's probably someone in the management layer.

In nook talk, a thread about BN's testimony in the apple antitrust litigation was deleted

Also in nook talk, the thread titled "Nook Study Boards Seem To Have Disappeared" is now locked.

With all that time for tidying up the boards, we still don't have a response to the losses of functionality reported over in Issue Reporting around the HD/HD+ 2.1 update.

That is

- heavily marketed ability to read comics in the native reader?  Gone, reported, no ack of the issue

- well-reviewed "Article View" button in the browser?  Gone, reported, no ack of the issue.

These are both resolved by forcing a device wipe (8 failed boots) letting the device get as far as 2.0.6 and then rooting it and installing the 2.0.6 variant of the White on White framework fix.  If the framework doesn't match the BN checksum of the framework, the update halts.

If your device cannot be reverted to 2.0.6, there are flashable versions of the earlier OS around.

But customers shouldn't have to do that much work to get back features like comic book reading that were major selling points of their devices. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
flyingtoastr

Re: The thread that first opened this discussion is now locked

Both those threads had devolved in Deesy flamefests, don't pretend like they were constructive discussions.

roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

A month plus after the bug reports, they're not acknowledged. 

The BN testimony post was a single post unrelated to the 'fests, and not by a poster involved in them.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Talk/Apple-s-E-Book-Price-Fixing-Trial-Enter-Barnes-amp-...

The 'where did the app go? thread had basically zero 'festivity - these were the nook talk threads, not the community room threads.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Talk/NookStudy-boards-seem-to-have-disappeared/m-p/14604...

The first one, I think, may have been pulled specifically because it revolved around testimony by BN.  Weird to yank it given that testimony is public.

The second one, though, was pretty positive and productive - folks locating the installers for the Nook apps, and discussing with puzzlement why the apps were yanked.   Even once D began working the thread, folks were still making an effort to return to topic.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

If it's not on the internet, it's not true?

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18

Count Kudo!

flyingtoastr wrote:

Both those threads had devolved in Deesy flamefests, don't pretend like they were constructive discussions.

I lost 40 Kudos!  I lost over 100 when Alex reorganized the forums a few months ago.

I don't think Alex realizes how hard it is to get Kudos outside of a Deesy thread.  :smileyvery-happy:  :smileyvery-happy:  :smileyvery-happy:  :smileyvery-happy:  :smileyvery-happy:

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

A month plus after the bug reports, they're not acknowledged. 

The BN testimony post was a single post unrelated to the 'fests, and not by a poster involved in them.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Talk/Apple-s-E-Book-Price-Fixing-Trial-Enter-Barnes-amp-...

The 'where did the app go? thread had basically zero 'festivity - these were the nook talk threads, not the community room threads.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Talk/NookStudy-boards-seem-to-have-disappeared/m-p/14604...

The first one, I think, may have been pulled specifically because it revolved around testimony by BN.  Weird to yank it given that testimony is public.

The second one, though, was pretty positive and productive - folks locating the installers for the Nook apps, and discussing with puzzlement why the apps were yanked.   

The first thread consisted of a copied and pasted article taken from Fortune.  It met the copyright infringement criterion that was forcefully argued in the Community Room forum.  As such, I imagine that the Administrator felt it wise to remove the thread.

flyingtoastr is correct that the second thread devolved.  It turned into a general b*tch session aimed at MBAs, and castigating B&N Management for being a bunch of MBAs who sit around all day crunching numbers (or something to that effect). 

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Dean,

You may have lost some of those kudos bcause ones older than 30 days roll off. On the older boards, Kudos were not time sensitive, though I see they are now.

Rousabout,

I reported the second thread as it had devolved into back and forth name calling. I had anticipated that just those posts would be removed, but apparently that did not happen.

bobstro
0 Kudos

Are you sure they're time sensitive? They seem to be breeding.

keriflur
0 Kudos

The second thread is the one from which PC Mag pulled the quote. That could be a factor, but I think the thread being reported is the more likely reason.
roustabout

We've gone at least a month with a fairly major bug (no CBZ support in the reader) and a fairly major loss of functionality (no stock browser and readability integration) in the HD and HD+ product lines.

Yes, the lines now have Google Play, but the bugs were reported in the Nook Issue forums.

What's I'm calling out is that there has been zero acknowledgement (even a change of status to "received") for the bug reports but time enough to tend to administrivia. 

How's borking a feature you sold the device on (comic reading in a unified library) not worth acknowledging a bug report on? 

keriflur

Roustabout - I suspect this was by design, removing certain features to add other features, like they did with the NST ToC.  It's exceptionally frustrating, because we can't opt out of updates.