Wordsmith
Fred011
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

NST Battery Issue

[ Edited ]

I have an approx. 3 yr. old Nook Simple Touch that I fully charged a few days ago.  Today when I tried to wake it after a time out, I got a message that the battery was too weak to start the unit and to connect it to the charger.  With my reading habits not changed since the last full charge, I would normally expect a couple of weeks battery life before I got below about 15%.

I was just curious if anyone else had experienced this issue and that (hopefully) my battery has not reached the end of its useful life, and this is just a glitch that might be fixed with a reset or other prototcol.  I don't think the battery should have such a short useful life (approx. 3 yrs.), and unfortunately it is past warranty coverage.

Oh, and I don't keep the Wi-Fi on at all.

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

Re: NST Battery Issue

If you got a Nook Simple Touch when they first launched, yours would be roughly 28 months old. However, Lithium ion batteries will live only 2-3 years even if they're on a shelf. It's entirely possible the battery is gone. I'm fairly sure you could find directions on how to replace it...if you want to try it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Tim40744 wrote:

If you got a Nook Simple Touch when they first launched, yours would be roughly 28 months old. However, Lithium ion batteries will live only 2-3 years even if they're on a shelf. It's entirely possible the battery is gone. I'm fairly sure you could find directions on how to replace it...if you want to try it.

I don't know where you got your lithium ion battery info but I can't find anything at all to support it, and have plenty of Li batteries that are nowhere near death that are many years older than three, so...

To the OP:  Charge your nook.  When it's full, turn it off and back on again, then use it as usual.  If the issue keeps recurring, you might start to worry, but odds this was a one-time snafu and everything will be fine.

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

I believe the site means that after 2-3 years the Li battery begins to lose its peak charge capability, meaning instead of actually being 8 hours it would be something like 7 3/4 hrs (numbers made up to illustrate a point). 

However it's not universal for all Li batteries, nor is it a universal decline in the batteries that begin to decline. 

Basically it all boils down to you're gambling a bit with the life of the battery, however in all probablity the battery will outlast the product given the devices that generally use them. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
bobstro
0 Kudos

If it's a one-time occurrence, I wouldn't worry about it.

If it happens regularly, make sure there's not anything touching the screen or otherwise keeping it awake when not in use.

One thing worth checking is the battery status light. Is it glowing yellow when you take it off the charger? If it is acting oddly, there are fixes you'll find elsewhere here on the forums. 

If that's not a likely culprit, you might try a factory reset and/or firmware reload to make sure it's not just a software corruption issue (e.g. program hanging and keeping device awake).

If you go through all these steps and still find the battery falling off precipitously, yours may indeed have gone bad. The good news is that you can find replacement batteries and good instructions for replacing it on YouTube. The bad new is that it might cost half as much as a new device. 

Wordsmith
Fred011
0 Kudos

bobstro,

Thanks to you and keriflur for your responses.

The status light is NOT on when not charging so I'm hoping it's just a one-off experience.  I did try keriflur's suggestion of charging and switching off then on again.  We'll just wait and see what it does in the next week or so.

If you have a link to any particularly good battery replacement instructions, I would appreciate it.  I guess with NSTs going for $79 with a year's warranty, it might not be worthwhile messing with a battery replacement if it comes to that.

Thanks again for your help.

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

I still have the original nook and battery is fine. I did find a replacement battery (just in case) on amazon and it was not expensive at all.
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Tim40744 wrote:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/everyday-tech/lithium-ion-battery2.htm

I'm guessing there is either quite a bit of variance in Li-ion batteries, or this site isn't all it's cracked up to be.  I've got stuff with them that is well over 3 years old that is still working fine.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
bobstro
0 Kudos

From my experience, LiOn battery life varies across all batteries manufactured. They do have common characteristics that normally include working well for 2 or 3 years, barring any defects, then dropping off markedly. Exactly how long varies by battery. Some cheap replacements don't do well at all. I've got very old devices plugging along after 5 years, I've had laptop batteries suddenly plummet down to providing 18 minutes of battery life after a little over two years. And of course, some are just plain old defective and die well within 2 years. There's not a 3 year timer that goes off.

Unfortunately, a spare on the shelf is not guaranteed to fare any better, since from everything I've read, this sort of battery does best when charged regularly and not discharaged for long periods.

The OP might want to see what is available around the holidays. If nothing else, prices on a replacement NST/G might come down even further in a month or two.

keriflur
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

The OP might want to see what is available around the holidays. If nothing else, prices on a replacement NST/G might come down even further in a month or two.

Why?  If the issue doesn't recur, it seems like a waste of $$ to me.

My current phone, my last BB, my previous Droid (OG), and my mom's android phone have all had a day where they died unexpectedly soon after a full charge.  In none of these cases did the issue happen again.  Sometimes a piece of software gets stuck running and burns the battery life.  Sometimes it might be something else, but that doesn't mean the battery is going.

I've yet to see a loss of battery life in my 6-year-old Vaio, and I still use it all the time, plugged in and on battery.  Still having no battery life issues with my N1E.

There's no reason to assume the batteries won't work well into the future, even with a one-time sudden tank.  Now if you start having regular problems, that's different.

In any case, it's not a bad idea to invest in a 3-year squaretrade warranty when you buy a nook or any other device, as if you are one of the unlucky ones whose nook does have the battery or something else go bad late in life, you can get the cash to buy a new one from them.  I pre-ordered my NST the day they were announced and I still have almost 9 months of warranty left.