Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch

NST NSTG and HD Sale

[ Edited ]

For the week 9/22-9/28 NST's are 59$, NSTG is 79$, the Nook HD 8gb is 109$, and the Nook HD 16gb is 119$.

I know there were some posters who were angling for a 50ish NST, now's your chance. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Re: NST NSTG and HD

Not to be too nitpicking, but $59 is not 50-ish. I'd seriously think about buying a spare at a 50-ish $49.
Wordsmith
LectorGS

Re: NST NSTG and HD Sale

These are great prices.  They might be making room for the new device(s)....   We hope so.

Lector GS
keriflur

LectorGS wrote:

These are great prices.  They might be making room for the new device(s)....   We hope so.

They need to be.  I tried out a KPW in Waterstones yesterday - very nice. My biggest concern with the KPW was the inability to turn off the light, but when I turned the light on the store model all the way down, I couldn't see *any* glow anywhere on the screen at all. Dunno if it was the new model or the old one (didn't ask as I wasn't going to buy), but if I have trouble with my NST, I won't be buying a new NST.

Now if B&N puts out a device that can compete with the KPW, with as sharp a screen and with a light that turns all the way off, I'll be happy to stay with the nook line. But no new device means I'll probably be jumping ship, and taking my ebook purchases with me. I doubt I'm unique in this.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
0 Kudos

I'm not sure why people keep speculating about "if" there will be a new device when it's been confirmed for a fact during the investor call that there will be a new model launching sometime soon.

>.<

Mercury_Glitch

To be fair, in this case Keri put forth some specifications for the device, namely that it's equal to the new KPW in that it has a crisp screen and the light does not interfere with the legibility of the text.  Since B&N has only said they will launch a new Nook and given no details about when or what, we don't really know.

Evidence points to at least a new eink device.  But really it's mostly conjecture.

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie

Again, so frustrating that BN doesn't actively advertise a "what's coming" or "something big is coming" to keep potential customers from purchasing some of the new devices coming out. Also to let diehard BN fans know something is coming after all the gloom and doom articles about BNs demise. If I didn't read these boards, I might have felt all the negative stories believable and not waited for a new eink device from BN. I still have my first edition, but realize it is not going to last forever.
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Announcements of "what's coming" can be just as deadly -- as people may stop buying what is already available to save for the new. Boom -- there went the cash flow needed to fund the development of the new model.

So far as I can tell, even Apple doesn't announce a new model until they've got a supply of working prototypes to display, and probably not until they've started actual production (so there is a supply backlog built up).

If B&N isn't saying what is planned for the next season, it may mean they don't know what will end up in the device (especially software-wise -- can the hardware design support some complex operations, is there a heat problem that needs a case redesign, etc.)

Baron Wulfraed
Mercury_Glitch

Wulfraed wrote:

Announcements of "what's coming" can be just as deadly -- as people may stop buying what is already available to save for the new. Boom -- there went the cash flow needed to fund the development of the new model.

So far as I can tell, even Apple doesn't announce a new model until they've got a supply of working prototypes to display, and probably not until they've started actual production (so there is a supply backlog built up).

If B&N isn't saying what is planned for the next season, it may mean they don't know what will end up in the device (especially software-wise -- can the hardware design support some complex operations, is there a heat problem that needs a case redesign, etc.)

Apple has a fairly regular release cycle for products, I think the iPhone got thrown off its Summer release cycle by the tsunami and earthquake that hit in the same year as the iPhone 4S (I think it was the 4S) was released.  But after that the 5 and 5S released within weeks of a year from the iPhone before them.  The iPad, when broken down between the mini and the regular follows a cycle as well.

B&N broke the cycle they were starting with the NST line when they didn't announce any new eink for the Spring of this year. 

They have already said -something- is going to come for the holiday season.  They have not given a hint as to what and have jumped from farming out the LCD Nooks to going back and doing all the work themselves. 

At this point both Kindle and Aura, the two companies B&N should consider competition, have announced their new products for the holiday. 

Meanwhile they just did a pretty big sale for the NST, NSTG, and Nook HD this week, and while I have not heard anything official the last price drop on the Nook HD and HD+ became the new price.  Again that is based strictly off the Nook HD and HD + price drop -absolutely nothing- official has been said about the price staying the same.  So they are clearly trying to move product along, likely to make room for something new. 

They really ought to start leaking 'unofficial' rumors at this point at least.  Nothing they say can be used by the competition for their new devices at this point.

bobstro
0 Kudos

B&N could be trying to avoid pulling an Osborne. Announcing the next big model too soon can kill sales of the existing model quickly. Unfortunately for B&N, the existing models are probably already being sold below cost, so there's no real winning short-term.

I made the jump to an eInk Kobo Mini to replace Beach NOOK, which my wife now happily uses. At the sale price of $40, it struck my impulse bone. As limited as it is, it works just fine, and passed my afternoon of reading at Nauset Beach test with flying colors, surviving a dunk in the sand with no ill effects.

At the low end, device features aren't a huge differentiator. I think the Kobo Aura and KPW have raised the bar. Anything without good contrast, high resolution AND a glow light probably won't compete any more. I don't see consumers picking any device offering only 2 of those 3 again.

With brand loyalty largely going by the wayside, the software is one area where manufacturers can still differentiate. I'll snap up the first device that offers source-agnostic reading position sync. B&N can handle their own DRM and ADE. Let me sync my position in any ebook to their cloud. Not the actual ebook, but the position data. Be content with most of my business, and quit trying to lock me in for all of it. B&N and Kobo can offer this. Amazon can't.

Correspondent
FulltimeRVer

...  I tried out a KPW in Waterstones yesterday - very nice. My biggest concern with the KPW was the inability to turn off the light, but when I turned the light on the store model all the way down, I couldn't see *any* glow anywhere on the screen at all. Dunno if it was the new model or the old one (didn't ask as I wasn't going to buy), but if I have trouble with my NST, I won't be buying a new NST.

Now if B&N puts out a device that can compete with the KPW, with as sharp a screen and with a light that turns all the way off, I'll be happy to stay with the nook line. But no new device means I'll probably be jumping ship, and taking my ebook purchases with me. I doubt I'm unique in this.

I have owned several versions of NOOK, including the NST and NSTG, as well as a Kindle Paperwhite.  I have never understood the concern with "the inability to turn off the light."  

The only time I turn the control on the Paperwhite light all the way down is when reading outdoors.  The light turns all the way off when the device goes to sleep and when you close the lid if you have a cover.  The fact that it remains on at the lowest setting (indetectable except in a completely dark room) when it is in active use seems to have no measureable impact on battery life.  Leaving Wi-Fi turned on has a noticeable impact, but I usually leave it turned on anyway for instant translations and Wikipedia lookups.

Dave
Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Fingers crossed that those are the new prices, as I've finally got a term with more than one class, so I'll finally be able to upgrade my Nook Color.

keriflur
0 Kudos

FulltimeRVer wrote:

I have owned several versions of NOOK, including the NST and NSTG, as well as a Kindle Paperwhite.  I have never understood the concern with "the inability to turn off the light."  

That's nice for you. You may have noticed that not everyone is you?

keriflur

bobstro wrote:

B&N could be trying to avoid pulling an Osborne. Announcing the next big model too soon can kill sales of the existing model quickly. Unfortunately for B&N, the existing models are probably already being sold below cost, so there's no real winning short-term.

I don't think the logic holds in this case that an announcement will hurt sales of existing devices.  I think selling what they have built, whether below cost or not, is still important as recouping part of the cost is certainly better than recouping none of it. But...

Right now, I suspect potential nook buyers fall into a handful of groups.

A - Those who want to upgrade and are waiting to see what the new device will be, and those who are buying a first device, think they might want a nook, and want the latest. These folks are not going to buy an existing device from B&N. They'll either wait for the new device announcement or buy a kindle/aura when they get impatient. These are the future sales B&N is most likely losing by not announcing the new device(s).

B - Those who want the latest from B&N but would still buy an existing nook if nothing new was coming.  Right now these folks are holding out, when they could be sales. If they want a color nook and B&N is only releasing a new e-ink, or vice versa, they could be sales NOW, but they are not, because there's been no announcement. B&N is running the risk of irritating these folks so much that they just go and buy a kindle.

C - Those who want the cheapest and are buying due to price drops, and people who are buying backup or beach nooks.  These folks aren't going to buy the latest because the newest device will be the most expensive, so an announcement won't hurt these sales.  And generally when a new device comes out, people assume that the current price of the previous device is the closeout price, and are more likely to buy then, rather than waiting for further price drops, so B&N could turn the holdouts into sales by announcing.

D - Those who do no research and and just buy willy-nilly, have a friend who said nook was good so they want one, etc. These, ultimately, are the folks that B&N is afraid to scare away with an announcement, because right now these are the folks that are buying nooks, who might wait for the new model. And sure, a few of them probably will hold out, but many won't, because they aren't watching the market and aren't paying attention to what's going on.  I can't imagine the number of folks who would hold out and wait for the new device is equal to all the lost sales (from not announcing) from the other three groups.

Also, we know that devie sales aren't the moneymakers for B&N - content sales are. Customer count is more important to the bottom line than clearing stock. The folks that would hold out because a new device was announced will STILL be B&N customers, but the folks that get impatient and buy kindles and Auras are likely NOT going to continue to be B&N content customers (especially the kindle folks, which is likely the bulk), so the risk of not announcing is substantially higher than the potential canibalism of sales on existing devices.

Correspondent
FulltimeRVer
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

FulltimeRVer wrote:

Thank you for the informative and useful response.  

Of course, you snipped most of my post, so your response appears less inane than it actually is.

Dave
keriflur
0 Kudos

FulltimeRVer wrote:

keriflur wrote:

FulltimeRVer wrote:

Thank you for the informative and useful response.  

Of course, you snipped most of my post, so your response appears less inane than it actually is.

Nothing inane about it, and no need to include the rest of your post on how you perceive the light and how you use your kindle, as it's pretty much summed up in your statement that you don't understand the concern.

Science has proven that there are wide variations in how humans "see" as in actuality we see with our minds, not our eyes, and consequently there can be huge differences in perception of brightness, color, etc. This is even before the judgment call of whether or not something is annoying to a given individual. You don't understand the concern because of how you perceive the light, but as I said above, you are not everyone. So maybe you could learn to respect that others perceive the light differently, or are more sensitive to light variance, or find different things irritating to the eyes and distracting to their reading.

There are plenty of people out there who cannot tell the difference between warm and cold blacks.  There are people who see fluorescent yellow and call it lime green.  Most folks can't see the difference between various "colorless" diamond grades with the naked eye.  But there are people who can, and the fact that they can doesn't make them wrong, or nitpicky, it's just that their brains are attuned to variances of color and light.

Mercury_Glitch

The Sale must go on!

Just a heads up, the sale prices on the NST and NSTG are back until the 26th.  I know it's been mentioned in the NST forum, but thought I'd mention it here for those who don't check that forum regularly.

The HD is not on sale and its price has gone back to the pre-sale value. 

I can only conclude that the reduced price saw an increase in sales for the NST/Gs.  I would suspect that we will not hear anything about new devices until after the 26th.  Of course even if I hear anything I can't tell you all directly, and this is just one mans conjecture based on information available to anyone. 

keriflur

Re: The Sale must go on!

Mercury_Glitch wrote:
Of course even if I hear anything I can't tell you all directly

How about you tell us in code?  Say "I prefer cats" if it's eink or "Dogs are better" if it's LCD.  :smileywink:

MacMcK1957

Gerbils make excellent pets.
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

I would suspect you will know in less time than will remain to the year after you know. 

I wont know eink vs LCD until everyone does, unless the store I work in gets signage early and rules are broken.