Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

Re: NT 8gb for those who wonder why

Mrs_Gatz: You will never see a new app, forget updates, other than thursday, or if late friday, or if they forget, another day. Ever, period.

flyingtoastr: I can point out numerous occasions where they do just that. For instance, right before the NOOK Tablet was launched (on a Monday) they dumped a bunch of new apps into the store(Grooveshark, MOG, Raphsody, etc.).

That's the first one to come to mind.

The point is that more often than not and definitely since the beginning of the year, they've only released them once a week - not a good thing if they want to build and keep intereste in their app store. And yes, I can back that up. Checking the release dates on the apps (newest to oldest), shows: that's the only time.

today is 2/22 - (none since last update)

Thursday - 2/16

Wednesday - 2/8

Wednesday - 2/1

Wednesday - 1/25

Wednesday - 1/18

Monday - 1/16 (only 2 with this date)

Wednesday - 1/11

Thursday - 1/5 (almost two weeks went by here without even one new release)

Thursday - 12/22

Wednesday - 12/21 (only 2 with this date)

Tuesday - 12/20

Friday - 12/16

Thursday - 12/15

Wednesday - 12/14 (only 1 with this date)

Thursday - 12/8

Thursday - 12/1

Wednesday - 11/30

Wednesday - 11/23

Monday - 11/21

Wednesday - 11/16

Wednesday - 11/9

Sunday - 11/6 (only 1 with this date)

Friday - 11/4

Monday - 10/31

Friday - 10/28

Thursday - 10/20

Wednesday - 10/12

Thursday - 10/6

Thursday - 9/29

Tuesday - 9/27 (only 2 with this date)

Friday - 9/23

Friday - 9/16

Thursday - 9/8

Tuesday - 9/6 (only 1 with this date)

Wednesday - 8/31

Friday - 8/26

Thursday - 8/18

Thursday - 8/11

Wednesday - 8/3

Thursday - 7/28

Wednesday - 7/27

Thursday - 7/21

Tuesday - 7/19

Thursday - 7/14

Thursday - 7/7

Thursday - 6/30

Thursday - 6/23

Wednesday - 6/22 (only 1 with this date)

Thursday - 6/16

Friday - 6/10

Tuesday - 6/7 (only 3 with this date)

Friday - 6/3

Thursday - 5/26

Monday - 5/23 (only 5 with this date)

Friday - 5/13 (only 2 with this date)

Thursday - 5/12 (only 6 with this date)

Friday - 4/29 (only 2 with this date; about two weeks went by here without even one new release)

Friday - 4/22

Friday - 4/15

Monday - 4/11

Wednesday - 4/6 (only 3 with this date)

Tuesday - 4/5 (only 1 with this date)

Wednesday - 3/30

Tuesday - 3/29

Friday - 3/25

Thursday - 3/24 (two weeks went by here without even one new release)

Thursday - 3/10  (only 1 with this date; two weeks went by here without even one new release)

Wednesday - 2/23 

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

TnTexas wrote:

The point is that more often than not and definitely since the beginning of the year, they've only released them once a week - not a good thing if they want to build and keep intereste in their app store.

Mrs_Gatz wrote:

You will never see a new app, forget updates, other than thursday, or if late friday, or if they forget, another day. Ever, period.

(emphasis mine)

This is the post I was responding to, which (as your own data proves) is incorrect.

I don't disagree with you that BN could (and should) offer more apps throughout the week instead of relying on large pushes. My problem with with the quote that BN never releases new apps or updates except on Thursday.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58

cgsmom wrote:

Actually, I am amazed at the number of people who buy without doing any research.  I have some friends that bought a Kindle Fire right after it came out.  When I told them that I was probably going to buy a Nook Tablet, they said "It costs too much."  When I replied that it has a faster processor, more ram, and a SD card slot, they were completely surprised. They did no reasearch, and just bought the cheaper one.

I am no expert in business, but I hope BN knows what they are doing. Now that I have my Tablet, I want them to stay in business.

After I received my NOOK Tablet as a gift in December, I attended a NOOK Discussion at my local B&N store.  All of the attendees were over 50 years of age.  Most of them were there to learn how to use their NOOK Tablets.  Only one had a smaller model, but most of them believed that the devices in their hands were simple e-readers.

At that meeting, and again about a week later, I took a look at the NOOK display just inside the front entrance.  I also spoke to the sales person, and to a couple of potential customers.

What became apparent to me was that B&N was positioning the NT as an e-reader, not as a tablet computer.  If the market believes that these devices are essentially all the same, and with limited capabilities, then price becomes the primary factor in a purchase decision.  RAM, CPU power and non-volatile memory are important considerations when purchasing a computer, but not so much when purchasing a simpler device like an e-reader.

Unless B&N begins a much stronger market education effort to tell potential buyers that this is really a tablet computer, then those buyers will not be willing to pay extra for features they don't believe are beneficial.

That being said, as long as B&N continues to restrict the use of the NT so that it behaves more like an e-reader and less like a tablet, it appears that the new product with its new price point and less memory will impact the market share of the NOOK Tablet.  B&N must be careful who they compete with.  It is usually not a good idea to compete with your own product line.  :smileytongue:

Wordsmith
TnTexas

deesy58: What became apparent to me was that B&N was positioning the NT as an e-reader, not as a tablet computer.

They may be positioning it that way in the stores, but that's not how their marketing has been positioning it. Their marketing has been positioning it more as a multimedia tablet than an ereader.

Inspired Contributor
Mrs_Gatz
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

flyingtoastr wrote:

TnTexas wrote:

The point is that more often than not and definitely since the beginning of the year, they've only released them once a week - not a good thing if they want to build and keep intereste in their app store.

Mrs_Gatz wrote:

You will never see a new app, forget updates, other than thursday, or if late friday, or if they forget, another day. Ever, period.

(emphasis mine)

This is the post I was responding to, which (as your own data proves) is incorrect.

I don't disagree with you that BN could (and should) offer more apps throughout the week instead of relying on large pushes. My problem with with the quote that BN never releases new apps or updates except on Thursday.

You've got to be kidding. This cant be real. Out of my whole post, you pull this out? :smileyfrustrated:

BN Listen up ! You need to push hard, and you need to push apps out hourly, just...like...your...friends at...Amazon are doing

Of course you can leave it the way it is, if you wish. (to have a mutiny) :smileywink:

BN, you've got what, 10,000 employees ? And your telling me not one, went to their superviser and said, hey, this sucks, we need apps more often, you know like, um, Apple, er, works for them !

You oughta hire me, ill say it and then quit, to make it easy !

http://www.amazon.com/gp/new-releases/mobile-apps/?ref=sv_mas_2

From Amazon - Listen up BN ! - Take notes :

"Our best selling new and future releases, updated hourly"

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr: Mrs_Gatz wrote:

You will never see a new app, forget updates, other than thursday, or if late friday, or if they forget, another day. Ever, period.

(emphasis mine)

Ah, I see. We were focusing on different aspects of her comments. You were focusing on the literal words and I was focusing on the spirit behind them. Fair enough. We seem to be on the same page overall.

Contributor
BlueJayOR

I questioned B&N marketing heavily to the older women group as ereader buyers. I know quite a few young people that own the NC (rooted). That is I did question this until I attended a "tech fair" given by our local library, on how to use your ereader device for borrowing books from the library. A two day affair, I dropped in the first day of it, and there were 55 people there at that time.  Most were older women, over 70, I would guess. (A couple older men there.) Of those attending that hour, 3 of us had Nooks, and all the rest had the Kindle Fire! (My instructor demonstrated this process to me, using her Kobo.) I was really surprised, seeing that many Kindles in one room, few Nook owners. Why did all these older women own Kindles? All they saw advertised? Cheaper? Given to them as gifts? Is this age group purchasing apps and other media content?

I like the idea of having a choice in ereaders from B&N, in function and price. I own and use, the NST, NC, and I just got the NT 16G. I didn't have a choice in the NT when I bought it, but would still pay the extra $50 for the 16G for more on- board storage space, faster processer. And yes, I do have SD cards for my nooks, all over my place. Most likely those that buy the 8G tablet, will at some point upgrade to the 16G for various reasons, IMO. I would like to see the NT 16G, "opened up" to outside apps, more like a fully functioning tablet, for that price.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

BlueJayOR: I questioned B&N marketing heavily to the older women group as ereader buyers. I know quite a few young people that own the NC (rooted). That is I did question this until I attended a "tech fair" given by our local library, on how to use your ereader device for borrowing books from the library. A two day affair, I dropped in the first day of it, and there were 55 people there at that time.  Most were older women, over 70, I would guess. (A couple older men there.) Of those attending that hour, 3 of us had Nooks, and all the rest had the Kindle Fire! (My instructor demonstrated this process to me, using her Kobo.) I was really surprised, seeing that many Kindles in one room, few Nook owners. Why did all these older women own Kindles? All they saw advertised? Cheaper? Given to them as gifts? Is this age group purchasing apps and other media content?

My guess would be a bit of all the reasons you mentioned. Many were probably given as gifts and were chosen for their ease of use (as well as the fact that it's an Amazon product). The Nook Color and Tablet might be superior devices hardware-wise; but with content components not being as integrated as they are with the Fire, they're not quite as easy to use.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

I've got better things to do with my time than constantly look for new apps every other hour.  All the new apps the iPad and Android market add daily are that much more garbage to wade through to find something useful.  The question for me is whether I can get apps to do the things I want to do.

In the case of this device, that's more than just read but it's not a whole lot:  Pandora, a photo gallery, a note pad that can exchange with my other computers, weather and flight information, news aggregator I can trust (not very fond of how Pulse generates its "top 25" lists or the Google news aggregators), a few games to pass the time away when I just don't feel like reading, a good astronomy application would be nice for times when I have or don't want to bring my MacBook with me, etc.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58

TnTexas wrote:

deesy58: What became apparent to me was that B&N was positioning the NT as an e-reader, not as a tablet computer.

They may be positioning it that way in the stores, but that's not how their marketing has been positioning it. Their marketing has been positioning it more as a multimedia tablet than an ereader.

Well, don't you think that "Marketing" includes the stores? 

Through which channels of distribution is B&N positioning the NT primarily as a multimedia tablet?  And ... if they are, why do they make it so difficult to obtain periodicals and apps from any source other than B&N?  Why can't NT owners just purchase, install and use Android apps without going through B&N unless they jump through hoops and risk voiding the warranty?

Not disputing you.  Just wondering. 

Wordsmith
TnTexas

deesy58: Well, don't you think that "Marketing" includes the stores? 

Not really. I think of "marketing" in terms of what brings people into the stores, not what the stores tell you once you're there.

Through which channels of distribution is B&N positioning the NT primarily as a multimedia tablet?  And ... if they are, why do they make it so difficult to obtain periodicals and apps from any source other than B&N?  Why can't NT owners just purchase, install and use Android apps without going through B&N unless they jump through hoops and risk voiding the warranty?

Let's see .... There are the TV commercials which spend more time talking about everything but reading that the Tablet can do (James Patterson here --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLEPEUP3weI; Jane Lynch here --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fbNHefLSWU)

Then there's B&N's own product page (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-tablet-barnes-noble/1104687969) where the majority of the emphasis is put on functions other than reading as well. The first section is titled "Our Fastest, Most Powerful Tablet" and directly underneath it starts out by saying: Videos stream smoothly. Web browsing is lightning-fast. Books are mentioned third. The section right across from it is titled "The Best Entertainment" and talks solely about the video options on the Tablet. The third section (underneath the first) is about the touchscreen; it mentions books in passing. The fourth section is about the book selection. The fifth one is about the video experience on the Tablet. The sixth one is about the apps. The seventh one is about the newspapers and magazines. The eighth one is about comics. The ninth one is about email and web browsing. The tenth one is about children's books. The eleventh one is about the battery life. The twelfth one is about music. The thirteenth one is about memory and storage. The fourteenth one is about the device's design. The fifteenth one is about the syncing capabilities. The sixteenth one is about the PerfectPage books. The seventeenth one is about book recommendations you can receive. The eighteenth one is about Nook Friends. The nineteenth one is about free support, and the twentieth one is about available accessories. Not much about reading, really.

I haven't run across any print ads, but I'm assuming they follow the same pattern - mention the reading function in passing and then focus on everything else.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

TnTexas wrote:

deesy58: Well, don't you think that "Marketing" includes the stores? 

Not really. I think of "marketing" in terms of what brings people into the stores, not what the stores tell you once you're there.

Let's see .... There are the TV commercials which spend more time talking about everything but reading that the Tablet can do (James Patterson here --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLEPEUP3weI; Jane Lynch here --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fbNHefLSWU)

Then there's B&N's own product page (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-tablet-barnes-noble/1104687969) where the majority of the emphasis is put on functions other than reading as well. The first section is titled "Our Fastest, Most Powerful Tablet" and directly underneath it starts out by saying: Videos stream smoothly. Web browsing is lightning-fast. Books are mentioned third. The section right across from it is titled "The Best Entertainment" and talks solely about the video options on the Tablet. The third section (underneath the first) is about the touchscreen; it mentions books in passing. The fourth section is about the book selection. The fifth one is about the video experience on the Tablet. The sixth one is about the apps. The seventh one is about the newspapers and magazines. The eighth one is about comics. The ninth one is about email and web browsing. The tenth one is about children's books. The eleventh one is about the battery life. The twelfth one is about music. The thirteenth one is about memory and storage. The fourteenth one is about the device's design. The fifteenth one is about the syncing capabilities. The sixteenth one is about the PerfectPage books. The seventeenth one is about book recommendations you can receive. The eighteenth one is about Nook Friends. The nineteenth one is about free support, and the twentieth one is about available accessories. Not much about reading, really.

I haven't run across any print ads, but I'm assuming they follow the same pattern - mention the reading function in passing and then focus on everything else.

Hmm.  A channel of distribution would typically be a brick and mortar store (like a B&N Bookseller), a brick and mortar electronics store (like Best Buy, for example), an Internet electronics supplier (like NewEgg.com or Amazon.com, for example), direct selling by B&N through their own Web site, an Office Supply Store (like OfficeMax or Staples), Televised Catalog Stores (like HSN), etc.  You get the idea.  

"Marketing" will include ALL of the current and potential channels of distribution.  It appears to me that B&N has done their Marketing homework.  They have identified the potential market, they have segmented that market, they have positioned the NOOK products and they are supporting all with appropriate advertising. (None of that, of course, guarantees that the product will be a success.)

A TV channel is not a channel of distribution (unless it is HSN or QVC  :smileyhappy: )

Your second paragraph is a strong indication that B&N is positioning the NT differently for different market segments, and that the product feature emphasis will be different for those customers who might buy in a retail store vs. those who might buy over the Internet.  That makes sense, 

If a print ad is designed to sell a tablet in a brick & mortar book store, I would expect the emphasis to be on the device's e-reader capabilities, and that is exactly what I have seen in one of my local B&N stores. 

Of the twenty features highlighted by B&N on their Web site, how many of them are directly, or indirectly, related to reading?   In which priority order are they presented?  How far down the list is "apps"? 

Taking from your post:

As far as video is concerned, a tablet is not needed for that, is it?  Can't an iPod stream video? 

Web browsing seems a little clunky, and it certainly is not "lightning-fast."'  I think that an iPad has a faster browsing capability.  At least it seems that way to me. 

Touchscreens are not unique to tablets, either.  Look at all the devices that use them!

So apps, arguably the deciding capability that would distinguish between a reader and a tablet, are not mentioned until feature #6.  This does not sound like they are making a very strong pitch for selling this product as a tablet. 

Just my thoughts.  :cattongue:

Contributor
rocky1234

but the point is that it is called a tablet but since B and N dumbed it down and put a bad wrapper over andriod, partitioned for B and N only content, and have the most horrid apps i have ever seen i would say it should be a nook color 2 - nothing more. the email app stinks, the web browser is poor and there are not other alternativies, like dolphin or firefox available. i can't get facebook, paypal, sonos or even the reg hulu on it. my wofe got this for me as a tablet that i wanted to have those functions. i have a reg kindle to read books as the screen is a milion times better for that use but as is the way b and n marketed it as a tablet is poor and lack of useful apps makes this a poor product out of the box. the apps that are there are some random silly games, calculators and a lighter - i know there are more but all that i have seen is lacking. i am dissapointed in b and n as a company  - if i could repartition it to use hte HD as i see fit (15 gigs for books really?) and have it opened to the andriod market then all would be well and they would have a steller product -

Wordsmith
TnTexas

[ Edited ]

@deesy58: My point was that B&N is placing a heavier marketing emphasis on the multimedia functions of the Tablet than the reading ones. And it still seems very clear to me that that's exactly what they're doing - marketing it as a multimedia tablet rather than an ereader with extra capabilities. I wasn't trying to argue whether or not the device and its capabilities actually meet their claims. 

Inspired Contributor
Mrs_Gatz
0 Kudos

Re: NT 8gb for those who wonder why- barren thursday

And so, another barren Thursday, right on schedule. Now almost 7 days without a new app update.
Contributor
lfeuln
0 Kudos

According to this, an official Twitter app is slated for today. We're probably just a few hours away from the refresh...patience! :-)

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/21/2815223/twitter-updated-for-android-and-ios-kindle-fire-and-nook-t...

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

BlueJayOR wrote:

Most were older women, over 70, I would guess. (A couple older men there.) Of those attending that hour, 3 of us had Nooks, and all the rest had the Kindle Fire! (My instructor demonstrated this process to me, using her Kobo.) I was really surprised, seeing that many Kindles in one room, few Nook owners. Why did all these older women own Kindles? All they saw advertised? Cheaper? Given to them as gifts? Is this age group purchasing apps and other media content?

Well, lessee ~ my mom's an older women over 70. She has a Kindle. She got her Kindle several years ago, so she could read books that are not available in large print books. She'd complained before about the choice of large print books, and the Kindle freed her to read what she wanted. When she bought her first Kindle, I do not think that the Nook was on the market yet. And in any event, we're a long way from the closest B&N store, and unless she had been a regular B&N store shopper, so if it had introduced recently, I don't see how she would have heard of it. As far as apps, the only app she needs is email and a web browser. After trying a netbook and giving up on it because of hard to read text, and getting tired with her laptop, she finally decided to go with an iPad, using the Kindle as her ebook reader and the iPad as her web browser and email reader. But I could see a lot of people who had Kindle ereaders and had the same desire to simplify the number of gadgets they were using settling on a Kindle Fire. If you are in the Amazon ecosystem, the Fire is the obvious choice.
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

TnTexas wrote:

@deesy58: My point was that B&N is placing a heavier marketing emphasis on the multimedia functions of the Tablet than the reading ones. And it still seems very clear to me that that's exactly what they're doing - marketing it as a multimedia tablet rather than an ereader with extra capabilities. I wasn't trying to argue whether or not the device and its capabilities actually meet their claims. 

Okay.  Got it!

Correspondent
FARIEQUEENE

For all of you wondering why??  

Here is my simple reason.  I owned a NC, I loved it, it was wonderful.  I do not use my nook as a tablet, I don't surf the web, watch videos, or most of that stuff on it, I use it as an ereader.  I like having my magazines and I have an extensive ebook library, but I also liked reading in the dark.  I was completely pleased with my NC, but... I have had it for a long time, I put it through the ringer, and it was starting to show signs of aging and slow down, so when I saw the new 8g model for the tablet, I thought PERFECT!!!  

Its a bit faster than my NC which I like and beyond that, just a little spiffier version of my NC, and a bit cheaper than I paid for the NC originally.   The 8G tablet is perfect for me.  

I am so happy with it and have been reading away on it and my NC is going to a family member who likes reading, just like my original 3g black and white original nook went to my mother in law.

I don't think anyone is stupid for buying what they want.  

"I have the body but of a weak and feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king."
Correspondent
TelSC

flyingtoastr wrote:

Grammaknits02 wrote:

I agree it seems like a major step backwards...less memory and less RAM?  I mean...who buys a new computer to downgrade??  If they would just open the tablet to the full android market, they would have a hit as other than that, their product is far superior to Amazon's products.

Who buys a new computer that isn't the ultra top of the line machine but makes some tradeoffs to lower the price?

Its's most people.

Most people who can't think logically.

Stop Calling It A Tablet