Reader 4
empens
0 Kudos

Re: NT: Battery life? How is it?

Thanks for all of the suggestions. My battery life is back to normal. Does anyone else have the Quickoffice Pro app? I suspect it was that app draining my battery life in sleep mode. I let my battery drain to 15%, unarchived and rearchived the Quickoffice app, shut down and restarted my NT, and then charged it back to 100%. It's been fine ever since.

Also, no, I haven't used a microSD card in it yet.

When sleep mode was giving me trouble, I had to charge every two days. Now I'm squeezing four days out of each charge with lots of reading and some light internet surfing. I haven't watched video on it yet.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Quickoffice Pro is an excellent file manager! I use it all the time. (Sorry, couldn't resist that.) Seriously though, as long as you exit it (back arrow at bottom of screen) it shouldnt be causing any battery issues.
New User
MBSunshine
0 Kudos

Battery life for tablet

my battery is way worse then the nook color.  I have to recharge it every other day.  I only use it for maybe 20min at a time x2 or three times a day and the battery is weaker and weaker.  from 100% in the morning, 20min use, to 49% in the evening and then again 20min use and by morning i only have 20% left.... I'm very disappointment.  I sold my nook color and I wish i had it back.

Inspired Correspondent
Sandan53
0 Kudos

Re: Battery life for tablet

That us not normal I get about 10-12 hours of use every day, this is with off and on use throughout the day. Ouside of my computer this is the tablet I use the most. You might want to take it in to BN and explain what is going on. But before you do check to see if you are closing all your apps. Use the back arrow to get out of some apps, or the "n" bottom to bring up the exit in some programs. If swipe your finger lightly to the left, this will act like a back key. Good Luck
Everyone says that they are listening but, no one remembers what was said.
Inspired Contributor
blueyedirishgrl
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem.  My battery is discharging way too quickly in sleep mode.  When I put it down for the night Wednesday night it was at 54% battery left-- the next evening I picked it up to read it & it was totally dead.  Wouldn't even let me turn it on until I charged it.  It had been asleep that whole time, less than 24 hrs.  Wifi wasn't on either.  It was not like this when I first brought it home.  It's gotten increasingly worse the last few weeks. 

New User
Rosie1893
0 Kudos

Re: How to install an SD card?

What is the benefit of installing one?  New at this....rec'd the nook for Christmas...any info is needed:smileysad:

Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma
0 Kudos

Re: How to install an SD card?

Rosie1893 - best to take a look at the user guide to see how to mount a Micro SD Card.  It is really pretty simple.  Look at your Nook's non-screen side.  At the same corner as the open thumb ring you will see the word "nook" embossed.  Gently lift this and the micro SD card slot will be revealed.  The benefit is additional storage space for non-Barnes & Noble purchased content like videos or commercial movies and other files if you keep MS Word, Excel or PDFs on your Nook

Reader
cnmidwife
0 Kudos

Late to the party, but SO glad to read all the posts.  I have been having a HUGE problem with the battery draining while my 1 week old tablet is in sleep mode (WITH wi-fi off and pwer-save on!)  I've been having to re-charge on a DAILY basis, even when I only get to use it for a couple of hours.  It was at 100% charge when I went to bed last night, and at 70% when I woke up this morning.  Customer service tells me that this is not a problem that they hear about, which had me thinking it was me!  I have actually swapped it for a new one (because the guy in the store didn't know what else to do), and done a factory re-start because the woman on the phone didn't know what else to do (which means that I had to re-load all my books, apps, etc THREE times - lots of books because I had the first edition).  Should have checked in with y'all first!  I did have a scandisc chip in because I thought I had to in order to side-load docs and photos.  It is now out, and I will see how the charge does.  Hopefully I will have the success you mention.

Thanks.

Correspondent
Grammaknits02
0 Kudos

Actually, i have found that having the SD card in or out does not make a difference.  I have found one of the things that causes my battery to drain like this, in sleep mode, with wifi off was having the words With Friends app on my NT.  I have had to remove that app altogether from my NT.  The other thing I found that helps is after being on the web, and after turning wifi off, is doing a soft reset (hold the power button down until the tablet shuts off all the way.  Wait a few minutes, then I can turn my tablet back on and it is fine.  Evidently, things in android are not shutting down all the way and doing a soft reset shuts down anything that is running in the background.  I hope B&N will come up with a fix for this.

Reading Now:
Wrongful Death: The Aids Trial
by Stephan Davis
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

@ cnmidwife:  I concur with Grammaknits02 --- SD card shouldn't be draining your battery. I have a 16GB card in mine without any battery problems.   Don't know about Words with Friends but I believe her.  Here are things you should check:

1) If you've set up email, check the settings to make sure it isn't looking for updates every 5 minutes (the default.)  Change to manual if you can.

2) If an app has an Exit button, use it!  Don't just hit the n button to get home.

3) Not alll apps have an Exit button. In which case I back swipe to get out of them.  While it may not be closing them (can't tell, because no Task Killer app available), it does seem to help.

4) Check and see if you have installed any other apps that, as Mr. Gibson says, "like to phone home."

If I were a betting woman, my money would be on #1 (the email settings.)  Start there.

Correspondent
Joe05
0 Kudos

Was also having a huge battery drain on my 4 week old NT. What I did was "unmount" the sd card power the unit off. Then put the card back in and power the unit back up. It completly took care of my problem. I have since then opened and closed items that I have stored on my card and my battery is holding steady with no loss while in the sleep mode. Don't have a clue why this worked for me but it did!

Reader
cnmidwife
0 Kudos

Thanks for more ideas - just in case.  I don't have 'words with friends', nor have I set up email since getting the new tablet a week ago, but after taking the disc out yesterday and re-charging, it seemed to do much better.  At some point I will put it back in, but I really don't need it at this point so why bother..

Inspired Contributor
BeachCatFan
0 Kudos

NookGardener wrote:

@ cnmidwife:  I concur with Grammaknits02 --- SD card shouldn't be draining your battery. I have a 16GB card in mine without any battery problems.   Don't know about Words with Friends but I believe her.  Here are things you should check:

1) If you've set up email, check the settings to make sure it isn't looking for updates every 5 minutes (the default.)  Change to manual if you can.

2) If an app has an Exit button, use it!  Don't just hit the n button to get home.

3) Not alll apps have an Exit button. In which case I back swipe to get out of them.  While it may not be closing them (can't tell, because no Task Killer app available), it does seem to help.

4) Check and see if you have installed any other apps that, as Mr. Gibson says, "like to phone home."

If I were a betting woman, my money would be on #1 (the email settings.)  Start there.

This is why I absolutely detest apps without an EXIT or QUIT button. Many Android browsers don't have them and continue to run even after you close them out. That's why I always use DolphinHD on my phone and my rooted NC............it actually has the EXIT button.

Contributor
SandyCWV
0 Kudos

I must be living right. I recharged on Friday, turned the wifi on to check out the Free Friday book and let any magazines/apps update. I normally turn the wifi off after doing that. 

I just checked after reading about the problems some people are having. Turns out I didn't turn off the wifi so my NT has been on standby with the wifi on since Friday morning. The battery is at 95%. I guess my point is, if you have more lose than that just on standby and the wifi turned off, there may be a problem.

BTW, on the app side, I don't have Words with friends, I do have Lost City (no exit button), Taptu, all my emails linked in, and not a lot else that could be a problem. I do have a small SD card installed.

I am sorry other people have problems. I really like my NT. It is the only mobile that I have and I really like being able to have it with me.

Frequent Contributor
LoganK
0 Kudos

SandyCWV wrote:

I must be living right. I recharged on Friday, turned the wifi on to check out the Free Friday book and let any magazines/apps update. I normally turn the wifi off after doing that. 

I just checked after reading about the problems some people are having. Turns out I didn't turn off the wifi so my NT has been on standby with the wifi on since Friday morning. The battery is at 95%. I guess my point is, if you have more lose than that just on standby and the wifi turned off, there may be a problem.

There is ... something ... that triggers the problem, but I just can't narrow it down. 4 times out of 5, my Tablet is ready to go when I turn it on. That fifth time, though, it's completely dead. I use only four applications, Reading, Hulu, Netflix, and ezPDF, but it isn't like I can say "I run X and then it dies". That's the frustrating part: the conditions are so unknown, and I hate not being able to read when I want to.

The solution is to reboot the device every time I'm done reading for a while, but then it doesn't feel like a quality product to me and I resent the purchase.

If it wasn't for the Nook reading software being the best out there at the moment (not that it's perfect), then I'd have ditched it by now for a Galaxy Tab Plus where I can at least diagnose and correct the sleeping issue.

Contributor
Cycosfireball
0 Kudos

Charged fully, last night. Went to bed, read for about an hour,. Put my NT to sleep. ( Wifi off and + Scandisc in the Nook). Got up about 6 hours later and my NT was at 95 %. So not too bad. I did notice however that certain thing really put a drain on the Battery, such as listening to Music, audio books, watching movies and surfing the web. I have some indie shortfilms etc downloaded into my NT and watching for about a 15 minute film( wifi OFF )  brings me down to around 82% in just that short time from 100. Same with Aps ( such as Angry Birds).

I think it just depends what you do.

I'm thinking about getting a car charger, though, will be nice to have.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

I have had my NT since Dec. My battery life has been as advertised. I noticed that when I quit using my NTfor email the standby time did increase noticeably. It worked fine, but with 3 other email capable devices I only need it when on vac., othrewise I use my business devices, laptop and xoom, which are a pain when traveling  for pleasure. 

FWIW I did see a  family recently with an IPAD II, Dad, NST, mom, and a small laptop, teenager, squabiling at the pool because one of the chargers was left behind.:smileysurprised: