Contributor
_the_
0 Kudos

Re: NT: Battery life? How is it?

I'm going to have to check my mail settings too then, because I didn't alter them at all, so it's almost certainly updating all the time. 

As a test, I left wifi on last night when I went to bed and it lost about 30% overnight (7 hours or so.)  That works out to 4-ish% an hour, which seems a bit high since the screen's not on, but I may have a couple things running (I sideloaded an email app from Amazon for comparison, K9 Mail - not sure which is better, they both have their up and downsides.)

Reader 4
Scott0487
0 Kudos

I bought an NT a few weeks ago and it was losing significant battery life during standby (the charger cord also always showed a green N rather than the orange charging color).  I took it back and got a new NT and can say that I lose virtually no battery life during standby.  Something was clearly wrong with the first unit.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

What I have noticed is it seems wifi does disconnect when the NT goes to sleep. It usually connects fast once I wake it up. I did once let it go to sleep while in the shop area. When I woke it up, it very briefly had the message that wifi was disconnected, but it connected by itself and that went away. Now I've been paying attention and when I wake it up the wifi icon shows it's not connected, but changes to connected quickly. My battery life has been great, but I can't give any stats to back this up.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Distinguished Correspondent
AVID-JT
0 Kudos

Maybe I'm not doing this right but, I unplug my WiFi when I'm not using it.  I live in Florida where we have A LOT of thunder storms during the night so I always disconnect my electronics before I go to bed.  My son says that I shorten the life of the devices by turning them on and off every day.  I wonder which wears out the batteries and devices more, constant use or turning on and off?  Let me hear what you think? 

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My battery life is very poor,and it's getting worse. On my nook color, I generally left wi-fi on, and would have to recharge after 5-6 hours of reading.With my tablet, I'm leaving wi-fi offf, and it's discharging 5% an hour while sleeping and 10% an hour while I'm reading. I' m also having a lot of jerkiness while scrolling through my shelves, and I' m starting to get jerkiness when scrolling through posts on these boards. It feels like something is running in the background eating up tremendous resources.

When I first downloaded my library, book covers kept flashing on and off, and 2 books will just not download. They appear to download (green bars progess) but then the download bar shows again; tapping again gets the download attempt with no green bars, which then doesn' t stop until I do a reboot. Archiving and unarchiving does not work, and though the books show online as archived, they appear in my library as downloaded until you attempt to read them. I keep speculating that the battery issues are caused by these 2 books.

Sigh... I'm probably going to have to do an exchange or delete the 2 books and live with the non cover sideloaded versions.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,257
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Did you set up eMail to periodically check for new mail???

My NT (WiFi on) loses about 1% per hour.

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB & 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted;
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
New User
ramiro9
0 Kudos

My battery life problem has been resolved by doing a factory restore, also called a "Hard Reset".

I fired up the Chat window on the support page, and spent approximately 25 minutes convincing the agent that a 3-day standby battery life was a Problem. At that point, he suggested I perform the "Hard Reset."

I did so, reregistered my nook, redownloaded my books and apps, and everything's been fine since. My battery drops about 4-5% of its capacity per night, which should give me a couple of weeks of standby time.

The hard reset/factory restore procedure WIPES YOUR NOOK. Caveat Emptor.

To perform a "Hard Reset"

1) Hold the power button down until NOOK TAblet is powered off, ignoring the "Power off" prompt.

2) After Your NOOK TAblet is powered off hold the "NOOK Home Key" down then simultaneously hold down the "Power" button, release the buttons immediately after the “Read Forever” logo disappears.

3) If successful, a grey NOOK Logo will appear and the screen will refresh momentarily and flash yellow. A prompt will appear asking if you would like to perform a “Factory Reset,” Tap the "NOOK Home key" to confirm. Tap the "Home key" again to begin the process.

4) After a few minutes your device will reset and re-install all necessary software. Once completed, you will have to register the device again.

r.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

@ Dean...

Yes I did, every 30 minutes. Think that's part of the problem?

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
DeanGibson
0 Kudos

laurieb52 wrote:

@ Dean...

Yes I did, every 30 minutes. Think that's part of the problem?

Yes.  Make sure you don't have any other apps that periodically "call home".

deemure

AVID-JT wrote:

Maybe I'm not doing this right but, I unplug my WiFi when I'm not using it.  I live in Florida where we have A LOT of thunder storms during the night so I always disconnect my electronics before I go to bed.  My son says that I shorten the life of the devices by turning them on and off every day.  I wonder which wears out the batteries and devices more, constant use or turning on and off?  Let me hear what you think? 

I live in a rural area in Michigan.  We notice that we often don't lose power when the weather is nasty, but it can be a beautiful sunny warm (not hot) day and I'd be in the middle of working on something on my PC and whooooooops, the power goes out.  For no freakin' reason or so it appears.  So, of course for my PC I have a UPS now connected-should have done this years ago.  What this means for it is that I leave it on now at night and won't worry about some random act of nice weather to knock it out.

What I've come to understand is that booting the PC up all the time does tend to wear out parts and PCs have a lot of cheaporrific pieces within the harddrive, the on/off switch and all.

As far at the NT or any battery operated device-I don't know for a fact what happens, but it stands to reason that when it's booting up there's a lot of power going to waste just to get it started.  Even if only in the start up "video" logo, and the brightness that does not reset to your settings until it has fully started.  It's also an initial surge of power used to get all the processes going to start the thing.

One rule of thumb always was that unless you were going to leave a nook sit for a very long time without being used, it was better to power it off completely.  But, standard use doesn't mean powering off every night.  I don't power mine down every night and never did for the NC, but I do think it's best not to just leave it or any device plugged in unattended.  I am really leery of doing this since things happen. 

Nothing's foolproof, but IMO it's probably wiser to charge some things when you are paying attention to them.  Or, charge more sensitive electronics using a UPS or surge protector that you have for your PC.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
DeanGibson

[ Edited ]

AVID-JT wrote:

There are generally three things that damage electronics:

1. Heat.
  2. Power surges.
  3. Static discharges (includes lightning strikes).

With most modern, well-designed devices:

1. Heat is not an issue (especially with those that have separate A/C power supplies, like tablets), so leaving a device on for days at a time is not a problem.  The one exception to this (in my mind) is a device with a fan (including PC power supplies and enclosures).  Fans, being mechanical devices (and often cheap), do wear out.  When they do, they often "freeze" (and thus draw more current, actually adding to the amount of heat generated).  If a device needs a fan and the fan is not running, you greatly shorten the life of the component that needed it.  That having been said, I have seven PC-type computers that I leave on all the time.  Five of these are Internet servers that are five or more years old.  I do occasionally check the rooms they are in, to see that the fan noise and room temperature are normal.  A few years ago, I had a video card with a fan in a PC-type computer.  The fan froze, and the room that the computer was in seemed warmer than normal.  When the video card finally failed and I pulled it out, it was charred.
  2. Power surges can be a factor in A/C line-powered devices (like PC-type computers), so for those it's not a bad idea to use a power surge protector (get one that costs more than $5)..  Portable devices (due to their sources of power) are not really subject to power surges.  As far as the normal "surge" when powering up a device, most modern devices use a staged power-on cycle, and the risk here is very low.
  3. Static discharges can also be a factor in A/C line-powered devices (like PC-type computers), whether from low humidity, or from lightning.  Most modern devices withstand "normal" static dscharges, but lightning is another matter.  Most power surge protectors give limited protection to lighning strikes, so in an electrical storm, powering down and unplugging AC line-powered devices is a good idea. For handheld devices, just run off the battery during an electrical storm.

There is one more issue:  component failure:

1. Some electronic components (typically electrolytic "capacitors" in power supplies) lose their effectiveness when power is NOT present over a fairly long period (several weeks or longer).  For such components, their life is enhanced by being constantly on.
  2. All components are subject to random failures, but the period of highest exposure is the first few days of operation.  If a part is going to fail, it usually be in the first few weeks (called "infant mortality"), or after many years.  So, when you buy a new product, leave it on as much as possible during the first month or so (especially if the warranty return period is short).

Summary:  I've worked with the internals of electronic devices since 1959, and these days I leave almost all my electronic devices on, all the time.  In the old days of tube equipment (including CRT screens and flourescent LCD backlighting), power-on usage was the primary factor that determined the life of equipment.  However, these days consumer bordom seems to be the biggest factor.

Reader
katelin1023
0 Kudos

Hi, I was just wondering how I would change my email settings so it doesn't check for emails every 5 minutes. Also, what do you mean by having apps calling "home"?

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Open the email program.

At the top, you should see your name with a little down arrow on the right.  Hit the down arrow and you should also see "Accounts",  Select Accounts and then you should see any email accounts set up on the NT.  To the right of each name, hit that "gear" looking icon to get you into your email settings.  You can change how ofter it checks for email from there.  (Email frequency.)

I'm not sure what they meant by apps "calling home."  Just took it to mean that some other apps have the tendency to do the same thing and you should check for it.  Evernote for example (great app BTW) can be set to automatically update as well.  I have changed everything possible to manual so not constantly updating. (Since can run the battery down on my phone, just figured it would do the same here.)

Other email tip (actually applies to all B&N stock installed apps WHICH DON"T HAVE AN EXIT BUTTON), use the backswipe feature when you want to try to exit them rather than just the home button.  When you just hit home, they are definitely still running in the background.  They "seem" to be closing when you backswipe but I won't swear to it since there is no way to see what apps are running unless you have sideloaded a task killer or similar program.  (definitely better battery life when do it this way, so have just gotten in the habit of it.)

Hope that helps.

Reader
katelin1023
0 Kudos

Thank  you so much! That helped a lot :smileyhappy: I really appreciate it.

Reader 4
empens
0 Kudos

How are your Nooks doing in sleep mode after a couple weeks? Because my NT seems weird. I had great battery life in sleep mode for the first couple weeks. It would lose 1% or 0% when I had it in sleep mode over night. Then, after about two weeks, it started to lose 5% over night, and then 10%. Now I'll walk away from it for a few hours, come back, and it will have lost 7% in sleep mode with wifi off. 

Also, the only app I've downloaded was Quickoffice Pro. I archived it and restarted just to see if it might be that app. The app didn't seem to affect the battery. I'm just confused because it didn't used to lose hardly anything in sleep mode the first couple weeks. Is this normal?

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

No, that's not normal.  Sounds like something is running in the background.  Do you power down at least once a week?  Try that and checking your email settings as outlined above.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
0 Kudos

Try shutting down and then restarting the device to end any programs that are eating power in the background.

If that doesn't do it, let the device fully discharge and then give it a full charge.

Distinguished Correspondent
keithlm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

empens wrote:

How are your Nooks doing in sleep mode after a couple weeks? Because my NT seems weird. I had great battery life in sleep mode for the first couple weeks.

Do you use a microSD card?

I had almost the same experience as you until I removed the microSD card. I was putting bunch of side-loaded PDF files onto the external card and would leave a file opened in the reader when the unit slept. This happened with or without the wi-fi activated.

It is my theory that having something open on the microSD card somehow keeps something from sleeping properly or it keeps waking up; As soon as I removed the microSD card then the battery life went back to draining only a percent or so overnight.

After that I put the card back in but did not load any files onto it and the battery life was good. Then at some point in time an installed app put some files onto the card and battery life may or may not have got worse again. So my initial problem might not have been leaving a side-loaded PDF files left open in the reader program... it might have been a different app that periodically accesses files it saves on the card?

(I took the card out again and went to slow draining again... I haven't yet done any more testing again. Actually I want to try some apps that "call home" and see if they properly sleep without an external card... but I enjoy the longer battery life so much I don't really want to mess around because I do need battery juice for reading....)

BUT THEN: My experiences might just be placebo... it could be my imagination and perhaps I just think it lasts longer without the microSD card.  But I swear that one morning I saw the battery drop like 40%-50% in 5 or 6 hours while the unit was "sleeping". It hasn't done that again without the microSD card.

Contributor
ZombiePete
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Just for S&Gs while sitting at work today, I decided to see how the battery would hold up while streaming via Netflix. My NT is brand new out of the box as of yesterday afternoon, and has only been charged once (overnight last night), so it still needs to go through a couple of charge cycles to reach optimum performance (based on previous experience with lithium battery-powered devices).

I selected a 45-minute episode of the original Star Trek series (The Corbomite Maneuver for any other Trek fans out there who might have been curious); was connected to wifi via a Verizon LTE mifi device. I have the screen set to about 25% brightness and power save mode is turned on.. Battery was at 99% when I opened Netflix and started the episode.

I set the NT aside and worked while it ran, but checked on it three times during playback. Each time I checked the battery life it paused the show, which I would then have to start again. All in all the screen was probably on for about 48 minutes from start to finish. The video was fluid; looked crisp and very nice, even at a low brightness.

When the test concluded after I closed Netflix, I had 88% battery life. Not bad at all, IMO, especially for such a small and thin device.

Not scientific by any means, but thought that some people might be interested in hearing about it. It will certainly only get (marignally) better with a few charge/discharge cycles. :-)

EDIT: BTW, I do not currently have an SD card inserted. I have no need for one as of yet.

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

empens wrote:

How are your Nooks doing in sleep mode after a couple weeks? Because my NT seems weird. I had great battery life in sleep mode for the first couple weeks. It would lose 1% or 0% when I had it in sleep mode over night. Then, after about two weeks, it started to lose 5% over night, and then 10%. Now I'll walk away from it for a few hours, come back, and it will have lost 7% in sleep mode with wifi off. 

Keep in mind that the battery gauge on most of these devices is only moderately accurate. For some reason, if I track usage on an hour-by-hour basis on mine, I get a 10% drop when I hit roughly 70% and another at 30%. Mind you, my actual battery life is still good overall. The gauge is just off. I once streamed audio for 3 hours on a device that was indicating I had 1% charge left.

In other words: I'd only stress about it if you're actually seeing less battery life than you expected, whether in actual usage, or in standby. If you're getting weeks out of it, I'd say you're doing well!