Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

NT: Battery life? How is it?

The one thing that interests me about the NT is the extended battery life. Weekend has started (and there's a holiday weekend next week!)  Hoping that those of you who have already purchased and are using the NT can give the rest of us some feedback on "realtime" battery usage and if it is better than the NC. (Am assuming that 11 hours of reading with WiFi off is true; but searching the web, playing the radio, etc. what is it REALLY like.)  Would appreciate your feedback! Thanks 

Frequent Contributor
LoganK
0 Kudos

Re: NT: Battery life? How is it?

Battery life has been better than my Nook Color ... maybe an extra couple hours of reading. Browsing didn't really seem to use much extra in terms of battery.

I haven't tried to turn on Power Save mode yet.

It does seem that it loses substantially more power while sleeping than my Nook Color. I'm guessing this would go away if I were to turn off WiFi. Since the wireless is always available immediately when I turn it on, I think it's not truly going to sleep.

Correspondent
Perry_Mason
0 Kudos

The Verge reports the Fire gets around 5 3/4 hours and the Tablet right at 7 hours.

Frequent Contributor
LoganK
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, with WiFi off and PowerSave on I'm still losing a lot of battery while sleeping (perhaps 30% every five hours). *sigh* I may be ready for a software update already.

The only "unusual" thing I've done with Nook Tablet is to insert an SD card, so this is a fairly out-of-the-box experience.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

LoganK wrote:

Unfortunately, with WiFi off and PowerSave on I'm still losing a lot of battery while sleeping (perhaps 30% every five hours). *sigh* I may be ready for a software update already.

The only "unusual" thing I've done with Nook Tablet is to insert an SD card, so this is a fairly out-of-the-box experience.

That's not good.  SD card shouldn't make a difference.  B&N's spec's said 11 1/2 hours reading (with wi-fi off) which equates to about 8.5 - 9% usage per hour.  Is PowerSave the same as "Screen timeout" on the NC?  Or is this a new setting?  (On the NC, from a full charge, I can get my 7.5 - 8 hours of reading, thought get very close to depleting the battery.)  Extended battery life is only thing that would tempt me to upgrade from the NC to the NT.  Hopefully others that have theirs already can chime in if this is normal or not.

Frequent Contributor
LoganK
0 Kudos

NookGardener wrote:

That's not good.  SD card shouldn't make a difference.  B&N's spec's said 11 1/2 hours reading (with wi-fi off) which equates to about 8.5 - 9% usage per hour.  Is PowerSave the same as "Screen timeout" on the NC?  Or is this a new setting?  (On the NC, from a full charge, I can get my 7.5 - 8 hours of reading, thought get very close to depleting the battery.)  Extended battery life is only thing that would tempt me to upgrade from the NC to the NT.  Hopefully others that have theirs already can chime in if this is normal or not.

If were to sit and read, no breaks, I am fairly confident that I would get 11 1/2 hours. From what I'm seeing, though, I could read 6 hours one day and then 5 hours the next. I have rebooted now, and that will sometimes make these types of problems go away.

PowerSave is a new option. I'm not entirely sure what it does, but I'm guessing it mostly involves slowing the Nook Tablet down (not noticable yet, though). It doesn't appear to impact WiFi or screen brightness.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,312
Solutions: 18

LoganK wrote:

Packed up both a fully charged NC and a fully charged NT at 11am today.  Both were sleeping, but with WiFi on (but lost connnection as soon as I left the house).  Drove to run some errands, and returned home at 5pm (6 hours later for you Kindle users).  NC was down to 98%, the NT down to 99%.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Frequent Contributor
LoganK
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

Packed up both a fully charged NC and a fully charged NT at 11am today.  Both were sleeping, but with WiFi on (but lost connnection as soon as I left the house).  Drove to run some errands, and returned home at 5pm (6 hours later for you Kindle users).  NC was down to 98%, the NT down to 99%.

After rebooting (and playing around a little bit), I let the Tablet sit for about three hours while I was the gym. It started at 72% and reported 72% when I got home. So there isn't an inherent problem with the software.

I'll still have to wake up in the morning a few times without my Tablet being in the red before I feel better, but here's hoping...

PS: My personal experience is that Android's reporting of battery life between 90--100% is not terribly accurate. (Same with my car.) Still, if there was a real problem, six hours would probably show it. Thanks, Dean!

Contributor
Schmooby-Doo
0 Kudos

I feel ike I am losing battery life with my Nook Tablet.  I have the brightness turned all the way down.  Is it because my WiFi is active???  Does anyone know what the POWER SAVE feature is on the NT?

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,857
0 Kudos

Unscientific, but I'm getting much better life out of my Tablet than my old Color. I can easily go a few days between charges now, even using it fairly heavily (reading an hour or two a day with at least an hour of websurfing and Netflix).

Frequent Contributor
ceeotters
0 Kudos

It didn't even take 3 hours to charge up.  And I was playing on it. Then I figured I'd better turn off the wifi. It probably took 2-1/2 hours.  And I like the cute lit up n on the plug. I'm totally easy to please.

Contributor
_the_
0 Kudos

Just curious to see what you early-early adopters are seeing for battery life now after a couple of weeks of use.  I just got mine this weekend and was alarmed to see the battery die the next day, and then need charging once again later that day.  I figured out quickly that turning wifi off every time I wasn't doing anything solved all my battery issues, but this seems extreme - shouldn't the OS be smart enough to do that itself?  I have Power Save on and am not real thrilled with the dim screen, but I'm living with it to give it some time to see how well it works.  With turning wifi on and off every single time, NOW it behaves like I expected it to.  Is this normal?

Distinguished Correspondent
AVID-JT
0 Kudos

_the_, cool name BTW.  How hard is it to tap the on/off button to shut off the WiFi?  It would be great if the NT shut off if inactive for a set amount of time.  My WiFi is off most of the time and I leave my NT in sleep mode when I'm not using it.  It only needs to be charged every 3-4 days.

Contributor
_the_
0 Kudos

AVID-JT wrote:

_the_, cool name BTW. 

Thanks - it's one of those names I've tried to get on virtually every board I've signed up for and somehow someone has thought of it first.  How many other people want to be "the"?

AVID-JT wrote:

How hard is it to tap the on/off button to shut off the WiFi?  It would be great if the NT shut off if inactive for a set amount of time.  My WiFi is off most of the time and I leave my NT in sleep mode when I'm not using it.  It only needs to be charged every 3-4 days.

Not hard, obviously - I love that it's right there on the bottom status bar (unlike iOS, where it's hidden away in the settings app - I don't need to refuse wifi often, but there are times when it locks on and won't let go of an access point I don't want or can't use, and that's really annoying.)  But really it's more that I do something, put the NT to sleep, and then think, "Oh, crap, did I shut off wifi?" So it would be nice if it would just put wifi to sleep when the NT is put to sleep.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

I have seen a slight increase over my CNK. one of the things I do is for apps like weather I set them to only update when tablet wakes. The main wi fi drain is from apps and email notification etc. The rest of the time they only update if I open them.
Correspondent
SamSpade88
0 Kudos

I've got all the default settings with 3/4 brightness and wifi on. I don't use the NT every day but when I use it I use it for about an hour or so. I use it to read my mags watch some videos and browse the internet.  Not very scientific but it does show I use it for a variety of things which most of them consume more than normal 'reading a book only' mode.  In the last two weeks I've charged it 3 times but they were around 60-70% charged each time.  I was just topping it off.  Right now there is about 75% remaining. I can't compare it to my laptop or Kindle 3G keyboard or my Palm T|X as they are completely different devices.  So far, I am very happy!  :manvery-happy:

New User
ramiro9
0 Kudos

Actual reading, I get maybe 6-7 hours. This is complicated by the fact that the stand-by time is very poor--I get 2-3 days maximum of stand-by time with Wi-Fi turned off. So if I read for a few hours one day, the next day, after discharging all night, I won't get more than a couple of more hours.

I went to B&N to try and get this resolved, and the lady at the Nook counter told me, "I turn mine off every night to conserve the battery." Thinking I had a defective unit, I pointed out to her that the manual claims "With a fully charged battery and with Wi-Fi turned off, your NOOK has enough power to last in a suspended state for several weeks." I just got a blank stare, and then she repeated that she turns it off every night.

Distinguished Correspondent
Reisnice

I usually get 3 or 4 hours of web, and have never had it get below 50%. I have power saver turned on, and try to turn wifi off when I finish with it. I lose about 4% per day with it asleep with wifi on, and about 1-2% sleeping with it off. I've never been able to read for long enough to make a good dent in it so far, though. I haven't tried a movie, yet, either. I'm happy with it so far.

You do need to watch apps that update through wifi, though, if you don't turn it off. That's the one big thing I miss is a way to tell what is actually going on inside. I had to sideload an app to see what apps were even running. A way to turn them off besides rebooting would be nice, too. B&N should do more in the apps dept.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

So, I went to just "look" at the NT and..... yes, came home with one.  Have had it about 2 weeks now.  Initially wasn't pleased with the NT battery life (my NC was getting longer times.) Was losing ALOT of battery life when device wasn't in use which didn't make any sense. (By a lot, I mean 2-3% per hour.  It just didn't make sense.)   So took a hard look at what I was doing differently that could be causing this result.  Was still backing out of apps with a built in "back" button, and turning off wi-fi when not in use, so that wasn't it. 

Turned out that I had set up email on the NT which was using a lot of battery.(Never used this feature on the NC.) Default settings when I set up email were to check for new mail every 5 minutes. (My bad, I didn't even bother to look at this when I set it up.) Changed the setting to Never (ie Manual) and am now getting battery life closer to what was advertised.    Also have gotten in the habit of Backswiping out of any program that doesn't have a built in "back" button (which ironically seems to be the built in B&N apps! at least for me.)  

Now, if anyone has figured out a way to get to the internet without hitting the "n" button, please do tell!

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

NookGardner: Now, if anyone has figured out a way to get to the internet without hitting the "n" button, please do tell!

There are a couple of apps that can be sideloaded which make this possible, but I don't know of any way to do it without sideloading.