Reader
J4ck_5p4rr0w
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Need some clarification regarding reading CBR files...

For some time now I've been wanting to get a tablet for the sole purpose of reading comics(the majority of which are CBR format). With the NOOK's on sale, I'm seriously considering getting one, but first hopefully you guys can help me understand how it works.

From what I've read, CBR is not one of the standard formats that the NOOK will read(and there might even be a bug preventing CBZ from working, even though it is supposed to). However, I read that the NOOK HD+ now has full access to the Google Play store, and that there are several apps that you can download which will allow you to read CBR files on the NOOK.

Is this correct? If not, please explain, and thanks in advance for your help :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Re: Need some clarification regarding reading CBR files...

I've never ran across the bug with .CBZ files. Just change the filetype to .rar, use 7zip to decompress the file, then compress it as a .zip and rename the filetype as .cbz

If someone tried to just change the filetype without changing the compression, that would not work, but then that would be because the .cbz filetype would be a lie.

And, yes, the Nook HD and HD+ has Google Play, so you could just use an existing .CBR reader. I use Perfect Viewer on my rooted Nook Color, so I assume it would work even better with the higher screen resolution and better processoring horsepower of the Nook HD ...

... PerfectViewer took me some getting used to the "invisible controls" on the different parts of the screen but it reads quite a lot of different formats. I've also read good things about Comik and ComicRack.

Reader
J4ck_5p4rr0w
0 Kudos

Hey, thank you very much for the reply. Just one point: I noticed you said your NOOK is rooted. Should my plan still work on a factory NOOK? Thanks again.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Yeah, the Play Store is available by default on the Nook HD and HD+ - it's not on the Nook Color, so the NC needs to be rooted to get it. 

But the CBR/CBZ readers don't require root to run, afaik, and extend the format support for comics.

There is apparently a fix for the officially supported format in the works, or was as of a few weeks ago.  Hard to say if that's going to happen what with the changes in management lately, which is too bad if it doesn't happen since being able to have a unified view of all your reading via the onboard reader is actually pretty nice. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Reader 2
Herr-Degaton
0 Kudos

Just wanted to submit my own method of reading graphic novels on Nook Tablet ,

Nook HD+....the built in reader reader reads/decodes CBZ files,but not CBR.

On my PC I use COMICRACK.With COMICKRACK I can select a large number of

CBR files and batch convert them to CBZ,then sideload onto the Nook.

Never any problems for me.I use a 16 gb micro sdhc card in the Nook

to store them on.Works great for me.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Herr-Degaton wrote:

Just wanted to submit my own method of reading graphic novels on Nook Tablet ,

Nook HD+....the built in reader reader reads/decodes CBZ files,but not CBR.

On my PC I use COMICRACK.With COMICKRACK I can select a large number of

CBR files and batch convert them to CBZ,then sideload onto the Nook.

Never any problems for me.I use a 16 gb micro sdhc card in the Nook

to store them on.Works great for me.

Thanks for the reference ~ for people wanting the link, its "ComicRack", primarily a PC based comic file reader, but it has a boatload of conversions, with the PDF and CBZ the main ones of interest for sideloading onto a Nook to read with the native tools.