Contributor
avaicesk26
0 Kudos

Netflix on nook color?

[ Edited ]
Does anyone know if netflix works on the nook color to watch movies?
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Re: Netflix on nook color?

avaicesk26 wrote:
Does anyone know if netflix works on the nook color to watch movies?

No.

Plain and simple, there is NO Netflix application available for the NC and I doubt there will be one available (but do NOT know).

Please look on the NookColor General Discussion board...this subject has been asked and answered before.

---------
Don
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Netflix is not currently available on ANY Android device.

Apparently Android does not have any standard DRM scheme/library which is required by Netflix.

New User
KPM171
0 Kudos

Check out this PR from Netflix developers regarding availability on android software.

http://blog.netflix.com/2010/11/netflix-on-android.html

Contributor
avaicesk26
0 Kudos

Thank you all for clearing that up.  I really appreciate it. 

Reader 2
tpatel520
0 Kudos

Wait but i was just a Barnes and nobles today playing around with the nook and when i went on netflix.com and signed in and tried to watch a movie it asked me to download microsoft silverlight. I clicked download and it started to actually download. so maybe it would work off the web browser?? idk i didnt get as far as to finish the download. was in a hurry.

Contributor
Sorin
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

There is a leaked Netflix app for Android that works on Nook Color. No streaming yet, but only because Netflix did not yet start streaming for the entire Android platform.
http://reviewhorizon.com/2011/03/the-leaked-apk-android-netflix-app-is-nook-color-compatible/

Inspired Correspondent
RodneyJT
0 Kudos

The browser will try and download the siverlight app but won't be able to run it. Silverlight only runs on Windows (and I think Mac) PC's. Any browser on any system will try and download the silverlight runtime but only Windows PC's can run it. 

Contributor
wookietim
0 Kudos

"Netflix is not currently available on ANY Android device"

Not entirely true... Netflix leaked a beta version of it's app for Android that sort of works on my Droid X... Which means that I suspect we will see a full Android version quite soon.

Whether it will appear on B&N's app store is another question though...

New User
MikeToTheP
0 Kudos

Well, there is now an offical Netflix Android App... Come on B&N, encourage Netflix to port it to NookColor. Your users want this.

Contributor
Sorin
0 Kudos

There is a way...you'll have to root your Nook Color though:

http://reviewhorizon.com/2011/05/how-to-watch-netflix-on-nook-color/

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

This discussion is also completely irrelevant to this forum.  This forum is for the Nook Classic which will NEVER be able to use Netflix.  There is a Nook Color forum for this discussion topic.  You might get more responses if you move it there.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I know this is not the Nook Color forum, but since there are some incorrect posts above (mainly because I think this is very recent news) I wanted to post an update

There ARE now a FEW Android phones that will run Netflix (legally without special rooting or hoops to jump through).  I THINK this just happened over the last week or so.

Anyway, If interested follow the link below, talks about the android phones that now support it.  I own a HTC Incredible, loaded the Netflix app last night and it worked perfectly.

http://news.cnet.com/netflix-streaming-now-on-a-few-android-phones/8301-17938_105-20062392-1.html?ta...

Distinguished Wordsmith
Conniecats
0 Kudos

Thank you, RSC Nook!

I was sad that my phone didn't have Netflix when I tried a few months ago but now I see my HTC evo is on the list. :smileyhappy:

I appreciate the info.

And although I have the classic Nook and am very happy with it, I don't mind the occasional Nookcolor thread, especially when it pertains information that could be relevant to others.

New User
RG01
0 Kudos

If you have rooted your Nook Color as I have done with Cyanogen7 it is now available!

New User
rhtb4theeyeblnks
0 Kudos

netflix is out on the google market so i assume if you honeycomb your nook color you can install there app from the market. you might end up just using honeycomb but you can duel boot android 3.0 and nookOS (or whatever its called) as android 3.0 boots from your sd card. ther is plenty of tuts out there. although I plan on getting a Nook color to try 3.0 I will probably put cynogen mod on it as it will be more stable. http://www.cyanogenmod.com/devices/nook-color

New User
steve1001
0 Kudos

I just rooted my nook color with the CM7 2.3.3 Gingerbread via microSD card.  Then I downloaded the Netflix app from Android Marketplace, logged into my Netflix account, and started watching a movie.  Didn't have to tweak anything.  Works great!  Only downside is that volume is a bit weak even with the nook's volume up all the way, but it's fine with headphones.  Pretty cool!

New User
kat_watters
0 Kudos

..I just rooted my nook color with the CM7 2.3.3 Gingerbread via microSD card'

what does this mean, exactly? We're not so technologically savvy, and love the idea of having netflix on the nook.

thanks so much! 

Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram
0 Kudos

Check the NOOK Color Discussion area here;

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/bd-p/NOOKcolorGeneralDiscussion

Or the NOOK Color Technical Support here;

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-Technical-Support/bd-p/NOOKcolortechnicalsupport

You won't get official B&N help with rooting but other users should be able to help you out.

You could also check out my signature, there is some info available there as well.

Good luck, I may be looking to do this myself for my wife's NC.

New User
Nurse318
0 Kudos

Re: Netflix on nook color? new app available since yesterday

has anyone tried this on the nook color yet? it is available for 2.99 on the b and N site