New User
Mouselet
0 Kudos

New Features??

[ Edited ]

I recently got a Nook Simple Touch, and not the one with a Glowlight. Why can't it have apps like the others and play Angry Birds like the others? Did they just want a version for reading? I mean...well...I guess that if some apps worked then it would be nice....

~Mouselet Loves Books!! :smileyvery-happy:
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0

Re: New Features??

This is a joke, right?

►Without order there is chaos◄
New User
Mouselet
0 Kudos

It depends on how you look at it. To me, I think this isn't...this is a true question I am wondering. To you, it may be. I really don't care what you think. I just think the Nook Simple Touch should be able to use some apps too...

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

The original Nook had a few apps, a simple browser, a chess game, Sudoku. Basically their market research found two groups of people, those who wanted A LOT of apps and games, and those who wanted just a reader. So they split the product lines. Nook Color or Tablet has tons of apps. Nook Simple Touch has none. It's a reader. Period. E-ink does not respond fast enough to be used for things like Angry Birds. That requires an LCD or LED screen.
New User
Mouselet
0 Kudos

Good to know. Thanks for the information....I didn't think I would get as many views as I did in a matter of minutes!! O.o Thanks anyway! I wouldn't trade my Nook for anything...I love to read so this is perfect for me. It was really just a question, wondering why it was different. You answered it completely so once again (For like the one millionth time) thanks!! :smileyvery-happy:

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

There IS a way to get apps, it's called "rooting."  But, the e-ink screen is too SLOW for 99.999% of apps.  Read and watch this:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/06/nook-the-simple-touch-reader-angry-birds/

B&N stripped the NST down to simply be an e-reader with a hecka-long battery life and they offer other units if you want apps.

Personally, that's EXACTLY why I bought an NST and then went back and bought a second one for one of my daughters.

Contributor
Teufel75
0 Kudos

The e-ink screens on the Nook Simple Touch do not have a good refresh rate so there is a lag time going from one image frame to another.  Because of this, trying to play an game on them would be very choppy and would not look good.  With the Nook 1st Editions, they did try to put 2 apps (chess and sudoku) but they didn't look good at all and were a little difficult to work.  They also tried to put a web browser on it but it had the same issues.  I did see someone who rooted their Nook Simple Touch simply to put Angry Birds on it.  He showed it to me proudly.  The image was like trying to watch one of those old-fashioned flip books but slower.  I asked him how he liked the game on his Simple Touch.  He told me,"It actually kind of sucks".  I then asked him,"Why did you root this?"  He replied,"Because I could."

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Mouselet wrote:

It depends on how you look at it. To me, I think this isn't...this is a true question I am wondering. To you, it may be. I really don't care what you think. I just think the Nook Simple Touch should be able to use some apps too...

Ok.  My apologies.  The N2E was not designed to have apps or even have the ability to use apps.  That is why it has Simple in the name.  If you were looking for an e-reader that has apps built in you should possibly have checked the Nook Color or the Nook Tablet.  This one won't give you what you want and I honestly don't believe all the suggestions in the world will change that.

Good luck!

►Without order there is chaos◄
New User
Mouselet
0 Kudos

Its fine. I was just wondering why can't it have something like a notepad. Oh well! I still love it!! :smileyhappy: Thanks anyways! :smileyvery-happy:

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

Mouselet wrote:

Its fine. I was just wondering why can't it have something like a notepad. Oh well! I still love it!! :smileyhappy: Thanks anyways! :smileyvery-happy:

You DO have a notepad.  Get a free ebook, and add notes to the first page.  That's what I've seen some people do.