Contributor
rbrenart

New Glow Light, early impressions

Mine's charging now. It's setup, but I haven't read anything on it outside the user manual.

I had the NST and the 1st gen nook, I skipped the first NSTG.

So my first impressions...

Screen is nice, lighting is very even except for the type couple centimeters where the lights actually come out. You can definitely see shadows there. Visually distracting when I'm looking at it, doubt I'll care when I'm reading.

White bezel doesn't bother me, thought it would.

My one big complain, they really borked up the case situation on this. I loved my old clip on case. I could slide my hand between the case and the back cover and it was a very comfortable way to hold the device. The new covers they're selling just don't do it for me. For $21 all they really are is a screen cover, they don't provide any protection to the device. I'll wait for the 3rd party cases and hope some one does a better job.

So yeah, not much to say, but thought I'd start a thread.

Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

Re: New Glow Light, early impressions

Thank you1 

Lector GS
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

What are your thoughts on the screen as compared to the NST with the light off on the NGL?  How do you find the contrast?

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

I realize that some people are hard on their devices but do you really think it needs a cover? My impression on these small eink devices is that they're relatively durable and it would take a fair amount to do damage to the thing. I used to have the Kindle one and I could throw it in my bag and whatever and the screen was never damaged or anything else.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Keri I'll try and get photos of the three nst type devices next to each other. My thought at the moment is between the higher res and improved contrast you won't have an issue with the screen due to the defraction layer for the light. The NGL stomps the NSTG pretty handily in that arena.
The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
keriflur
0 Kudos

I may go and look at them this afternoon. *sighs* It seems like a waste for a device I'll outgrow in a year. 

bobstro
0 Kudos

Cover versus sleeve

[ Edited ]

ConnieL4193 wrote:

I realize that some people are hard on their devices but do you really think it needs a cover?

In the past, I've wrapped my toys in a portfolio-type case, or at least a full body cover with some sort of rigid screen cover and screen protector. As prices have come down, my priority has shifted to getting maximum enjoyment out of a device for the 2 years of active use rather than making sure it is in pristine condition when I stick it in a drawer for the last time.

I think they need protection when being carried around in a bag (e.g. errant keychain), not so much in my mitts sitting around reading. I've moved to using a travel sleeve, along with a skin to protect against minor scratches. I'm torn on screen protectors, but they don't apply to the new NOOK GlowLight.

There have been some posts using clever home-made wraps (roustabout, iirc) and tube socks that probably do the job more than adequately.

My impression on these small eink devices is that they're relatively durable and it would take a fair amount to do damage to the thing. I used to have the Kindle one and I could throw it in my bag and whatever and the screen was never damaged or anything else.

I worry less about the body than screen. For my little Mini, I've occasionally put a piece of cardboard over the screen held in place by a rubber band if nothing else was at hand. I'll always want my screen protected, particularly a larger (7 inch or more) screen that might be subject to flexing. I'll stick some sort of stiffener in the sleeve to protect the screen for those devices. Most eInk devices have the screen recessed a bit, so there's some protection, but I still worry about pens and keys getting loose.
I did just notice this on the product page: "... With a new top layer material and lamination process, NOOK GlowLight's display stands up to keys, pens, and anything else you might carry with you." I'm not sure "stands up to" means it's something like Corning Gorilla Glass, but I'm still inclined to protect the screen.
Contributor
rbrenart
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

What are your thoughts on the screen as compared to the NST with the light off on the NGL?  How do you find the contrast?

The screen is definitely less white than the NST, it's almost a brownish/gray color. Contrast is not an issue though, it's still very good.

Contributor
rbrenart
0 Kudos

ConnieL4193 wrote:

I realize that some people are hard on their devices but do you really think it needs a cover? My impression on these small eink devices is that they're relatively durable and it would take a fair amount to do damage to the thing. I used to have the Kindle one and I could throw it in my bag and whatever and the screen was never damaged or anything else.

Funny you should mention that, the only real damage I did to a nook was the first generation when I got a pair of headphones stuck between the case and the screen. 

I like the cases for two reasons 

1) The way I happen to read it makes it easier to hold.

2) I like my e-reader to be like a paperback book, I just throw it in my bag and forget about it. Now I feel like I have to pay more attention or get a sleeve which I'll misplace more often than I use.

Contributor
Roam

Does the NGL still have the page turning buttons? That's one of my favorite features of my simple touch.

Thanks,
Hugh
bobstro
0 Kudos

No, the page turning buttons are lamentably gone.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Looks like they took out the expandable storage?
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
bobstro

[ Edited ]

Yes, they've removed the ability to add removable storage. Live with the 4 GB provided seems to be your only option now. Apparently, the space for sideloading is severely restricted, which is a major problem for me. This is more an egregious attempt at lock-in than the brain-dead app store on the NC/NT, unless they provide some way to adjust it, or some way to easily manage and/or sync 3rd party ebooks.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

space for sideloading is 512 mg, or about 500 epubs, less if they are pdf's.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Contributor
JCTNJ
0 Kudos

Store functions are totally messed up for me. Anyone else having this?

Tapping on books after search does nothing ...

Doesn't return nearly full catalog of an author (5 books returned, when there are 23 nook books online) ...

BUY NOW button brings me to home page of store instead of book purchase page 

etc ...

keriflur

bobstro wrote:

Yes, they've the ability to add removable storage. Live with the 4 GB provided seems to be your only option now. Apparently, the space for sideloading is severely restricted, which is a major problem for me. This is more an egregious attempt at lock-in than the brain-dead app store on the NC/NT, unless they provide some way to adjust it, or some way to easily manage and/or sync 3rd party ebooks.

That's how I see it also. They want you to buy from B&N only, which makes it even more of a turn-off.

Now if we could adjust the partition, I could work with the space.  But I know a lot of folks who've been on the forums in the past would still have trouble as they already have a lot more books than I do.

bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: Cover versus sleeve

There are some YouTube videos showing drop tests on the NST that might be informative. A corner hits splits the bezel from pocket height, but the screen is pretty well protected overall. The case, however, takes a beating.

They also put a Kobo Aura through the same tests in another video.

Of course, every drop will be different, but you can get a sense for how durable these units are.

Correspondent
Wulfraed

Only because the new model falls into the member discount -- I bought one (the clerk had to go into the back room as the Nook cabinet was bare <G>).

With the light OFF, the display is distinctly greyer than my 1st edition. And, being strictly a reader, there are no games (1st edition had chess and sudoku [though most formal suduko use a symetric starting pattern\).

The display is about the same dimension as the 1st edition, but the overall form factor is "odd" (the extra length for the color touchpad makes the 1st edition feel more bookish). Okay, the increased resolution is nice -- I can run a smaller font size without feeling fuzzy.

I'm waiting on covers. The current "clip" cover is junk. A 6x9 clasp envelope is as effective. My 1st edition has an easel cover -- using the magnetic closure it will stand up over a cafeteria tray.  My HD+ has the rotating stand. (I did buy a 1st edition cover with an LED light, but never used it).

My HD+ primarily gets used for the crossword puzzle, MahJong, Bejeweled II, and the Nook web pages. With the new glowlight, the 1st Edition will likely be left at work (for reading Analog/Asimov and Sudoku), only coming out to refresh the magazine contents.

Baron Wulfraed
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Honestly I just want a shell like the one I had, it added just a touch of something that made it more comfortable.  I haven't tried reading much on my new NGL (bought one, dashed home to make a post/load screensaver etc, dashed back to B&N to work), so maybe the NGL will feel better than the NSTG did in its birthday suit for extended reading.

I'm not worried about protection, I'm generally careful with my electronics, my NST still works fine as does my NSTG, heck even my old Verizon Chocolate cell phone worked up until I gave it to an electronics recycling center and that was after years of sitting in a desk.  The only electronic I've replaced because it broke was a Mac Pro which suffered both video cards I had in it dying around the same time, rather than replace them for an insane amount I replaced the Mac Pro. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923

[ Edited ]

So after a few hours of use, my first impressions:

1. It's so light. I seriously can not get over just how easy it is to throw this thing around. Dropping an ounce doesn't seem like a lot, but my NST feels positively bulky compared to this thing.

2. I miss the page turn buttons a little, but not a whole lot. I mainly only used them on my NST when I was holding the device left-handed. The NGL is light enough that I can comfortably hold it resting in my palm, which makes it easy to swipe through the pages with my thumb (when you swipe for page turns the gesture can start anywhere on the screen, so you don't have to be near the right hand margin to go forward). I would have liked them, but it isn't a huge loss. I do have massive manhands though, so YMMV.

3. The new interface is much cleaner. It's still the same OS as the NST, but everything has been passed over with a nice coat of polish to make it much easier to navigate around and much less cluttered. This also bodes well for it potentially being backported to the older models.

4. I really miss the concave back. I never realized just how much I liked that tactile holding surface until I picked up the flat backed NGL. I think this is the only real step backwards for my use, it simply isn't quite as firmly in my grip without that little ridge.

5. The screen isn't impacted by the diffraction layer at all. The contrast and sharpness are at least as good, if not better, than my NST. The new optimized fonts are stellar as well.

Overall I'm very happy with it - it does what I need it to do perfectly. I still think BN should have launched it at $99 for great impulse power, and if they launched a larger model with some more bells and whistles I would be tempted. But so far so good.

E: Oh, and it's white. I'm so excited. I know it can trick the eyes into making the contrast on the screen look worse, but I always liked the N1E best because of the design. I'm a huge fan of how much the device pops, and it will help it stand out among the legions of black slabs out there. Totally personal choice there, though.