Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

Decalgirl skins

These skins are great and easy to apply with a little bit of patience. Also they have the best customer service of any company I have ever dealt with. They give hints to apply the skin and if you totally mess up at one time at least they would send you another skin and you just pay shipping. You also get a wallpaper that matches skin. You put wallpaper first and align skin to that. They may offer discount code when they post on Facebook. I'm not on Facebook, but I always check "retailmenot" and usually get a discount code.
Frequent Contributor
rbrenart

Re: New Glow Light, early impressions

So I just got back from a week long trip with my new nook.

Couple quick updates...

1) The screen is definitely more gray than the NST. This is not a bezel color optical illusion. That said, the color difference doesn't affect the reading one bit.

2) Showing some one how absurdly bright the screen gets I noticed that my nook had one tiny little glow hole. Nothing that affects reading, but it's there.

3) I put 3 scratches in it in a week. I was on the beach so there's a good chance I can't fault the device if I got sand on it (although I don't think I did). They're only noticeable with the light turned up too bright, in direct sunlight, or if I look at an oblique angle that is not friendly to reading... but I know they're there!

Ok that's the trivial stuff... to me there are two more points which are actually of import to me...

1) This device is definitely not as comfortable one handed as the NST

2) The screen/light/etc. is awesome. The bezel color discussions and grayness of the screen mean completely nothing somewhere around page 2 of reading, this thing is really a joy to read on.

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

Decalgirl skins

When I contacted customer service to see when the nook glowlight skins would be out, they said at the end of November. I just looked at their web site and selected the nook touch screen skins. It states that they also fit the "new glow" and are priced at $14.99.
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

Re: Decalgirl skins

Be careful. That "new glow" refers to the (old) NSTG I believe. It was up there a few days ago. 

Mercury_Glitch

Re: Decalgirl skins

the previews also still have the holes for the side buttons.  I think the end of November is reasonable, considering B&N likely didn't release even design specs to third party vendors.  For them to get a product from zero to release in about a week and a half would be rather amazing.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Contributor
SingingRiver

As someone who used the page buttons to allow myself to read in the tub/pool, I shall be searching for good used copies of the older model. Bagged nook is 95% of my usage, so taking that option away is highly annoying, but I have no choice.

The other issue keeping me from the new model is the decreased space for sideloaded storage. The ability to sideload really makes the nook a different animal from the kindle. I see cutting back on it as a move towards eliminating it all together. I hate the idea that a book I buy isn't mine, but is rented from the bookseller, who may say when, where and how I read it, allow it to be borrowed, etc. I'm willing to jump to the first non-drm'd device someone can name, but the nook was a nice halfway option, allowing me to buy from a seller with alot of inventory, but still comparison shop prices. I want to have books, not BandN or Kindle books. Just books.

Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
0 Kudos

I wanted a case, but now I just store it in its box, and take it out when I want to read. The box is now small enough to carry around easily.
Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

Does the older 2gb model have a card slot?

Does the older model (2gb), or the NST, have a card slot? There are a lot of those on ebay for a fairly decent price.

I already have a Nook HD+ & a NC but want something inexpensive I can use to read outside.Don't foresee this will be my main reading device. Aside from the improved screen resolution it looks like the 2gb model, or even the Nook Simple Touch, may be a better choice if they have a card slot. Most of my books are purchased elsewhere & sideloaded. BN prices are a bit on the high side.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Re: Does the older 2gb model have a card slot?

Yes, it does.  The only thing to watch out for is that many people have bought them on ebay or some such site and found that they had never been deregistered by the original owner (stolen, maybe?) so can not be re-registered to a new one.  They're marked down so much that it might be wiser to just buy directly from B&N, $79 for the base model while supplies last.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Yes, the NST and NSTG both had card slots.  I'm pretty sure the N1E did as well.

I'd advise against ebay, the NST is fairly inexpensive from B&N now, and there are lots of stories of people buying from ebay and having issues, such as an improperly de-registered device, or a stolen device. 

bobstro
0 Kudos

What I've seen suggested with Craigslist sales is meet (in public) and have the seller deregister the device in your presence before handing over any cash.

roustabout
0 Kudos

I found last Christmas when I was setting up nooks to give away that if you erase and deregister but don't re-register soon enough, you run out of time and must redo the process, re-registering back to the original account then erasing and deregistering.  I found this out when there was a 12 hour difference in time between when the two NCs I was setting up were wiped, and the second one would not reregister until my gf shared her password with me so I could reregister it back to her account, then deregister it and register it correctly. 

I think this is the source of a lot of unregisterable Nooks on CL and Ebay - I don't think the steps or the time windows are well documented,. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

Re: New Glow Light review

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,253
Solutions: 18

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

Yes, the NST and NSTG both had card slots.  I'm pretty sure the N1E did as well.

The Nook Glow 2 is the first Nook without the ability to insert a microSD card.

I won't call it a "card slot" in the Nook Classic, since you had to pop the back off (documented in the manual) in order to insert it.

The Nook Classic was unique in several ways:

1. There was a combo WiFi/3G model (I still have two).
  2. The battery was replaceable (I still have a good-as-new spare).
  3. You popped the back off to add/remove the microSD card, or to replace the battery.
  4. It powered itself completely off after (I think) 72 hours of non-use.
  5. B&N made a nice cover with an articulated light (I have one).
  6. It had a choice of really nice cityscapes (eg, see my image to the left).
  7. The (color) touch screen was a pain in the @$$, sometimes scrolling up when you tried to scroll down.
  8. Rooting was a real adventure, requiring split-second timing.
  9. Oh, and shelving worked.
Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB, 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted; Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Out of curiosity, how did you get that image there?

I've looked through profile settings and I can't see anything that would allow it, or allow me to show the extended info you have such as kudo's and solutions.