Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch

Re: New Glow Light, early impressions

I will say this for those disliking the white (I am slightly displeased by it myself).  It's a matte white, the silicone bezel which is light grey is also non-reflective (not that this really needs to be said).  So while it is white, at least it wont cast light off.  And most of the skins for the NST/G should work for the NGL since, as I and others have mentioned, the only physical dimension that has changed is the depth of the device.  Width and height are spot on to the NST/G. 

I'll have to wait and see how annoying the white is when reading, if it becomes a pain I'll probably get a skin or some sort of shell case like the one I have for my NSTG. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Contributor
MLR3
0 Kudos

What is their reason for taking away the side buttons?  This is one reason I prefer reading on the NSTGL versus the tablets.

keriflur

I was at Staples this afternoon, so I swung by my local B&N to take a look.

I have to say, no matter how each person might individually feel about the white, I think it was a mistake on B&Ns part.  It really does make the screen look darker than the NST, and I think that could hurt sales of the device.

For me, I did not see enough of a contrast and sharpness improvement over the NST, so I'm going to stop trying to figure out how to make this device work for me and just hope B&N can come up with something better next year.

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

I don't think I can agree with you here Keriflur. I went and picked one up tonight at B&N. I haven't done a lot with it yet but I think the screen is a BIG improvement over the NST.  The characters ares definitely sharper, more than enough to justify buying it.  The white color doesn't bother me at all and I like the build. I also think the screen is more than responsive enough to make the lack of buttons a non-issue. No doubt others will disagree but so far I have no reasons to regret my purchase.

bobstro

I'm not a fan of white devices, but if it's a matte finish, it might not bother me so much on a reader. My Kobo Mini was only available in white at the sale price, and while the white does make the screen appear grayish in comparison, it does mimic the whitespace around a page border somewhat. Given that I normally set small margins for the text, it makes it a bit more "bookish" in appearance. With any sort of glow setting, I think I could overlook that particular issue.

Sadly for me, the lack of space for sideloaded content will still be a problem. I suppose I could master juggling a list with Calibre, but I find it frustrating that my "little" Mini has more space. I'll be watching for a "fat" version, but hold off for now.

It looks like a very nice device, and I'm glad to see that B&N is at least still committed to eInk.

keriflur
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

I'm not a fan of white devices, but if it's a matte finish, it might not bother me so much on a reader. My Kobo Mini was only available in white at the sale price, and while the white does make the screen appear grayish in comparison, it does mimic the whitespace around a page border somewhat. Given that I normally set small margins for the text, it makes it a bit more "bookish" in appearance. With any sort of glow setting, I think I could overlook that particular issue.

Sadly for me, the lack of space for sideloaded content will still be a problem. I suppose I could master juggling a list with Calibre, but I find it frustrating that my "little" Mini has more space. I'll be watching for a "fat" version, but hold off for now.

It looks like a very nice device, and I'm glad to see that B&N is at least still committed to eInk.

It is matte.  It's rather nice, actually, as long as you don't mind that it's noticeably whiter than the screen.

I'd been hoping the frame and the screen would be the same color, to create that whitespace feel.  If they'd gone with a light grey the affect may have been perfect.  They could have also gone with a darker grey to make the screen pop a bit while still providing a border that would disappear while reading.

It's a nice device, and an incremental step up.  It's just not a large enough increment, given the space issue, for me to want to upgrade.

Inspired Contributor
Logician
0 Kudos

Has the syncing improved? I've never gotten it to work right/consistently with the HD+ and NST.

Inspired Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

Regarding the syncing, does the device need to be on wi-fi for the syncing to happen?  Thanks

Lector GS
Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193

[ Edited ]

Ok, so now here are MY first impressions. I really liked the look and feel of it. As stated previously, the white color doesn't bother me. I had a white Kindle once upon a time and it never bothered me then either. I personally think the screen is totally worth the upgrade. I had a NSTG for a short time before I returned it and I definitely remember thinking that the screen resolution was disappointing compared to what I was used to. I was hoping this one would be a significant improvement and it is. Very happy with it. After first signing in and registering, all my content started showing up and the book I'm currently reading was synced the the right page. I'll be keeping an eye on this as well because I want to be able to keep it in sync with my HD+ wihtout a whole lot of hassle.  The touch screen is also more responsive in my opinion. I can turn pages with very little effort (thumb press) so not having the physical keys is a non-issue for me.  About the only thing I will ding it for is the back cover. While the device is pretty and appears to be well made (mho), the back has no edge or lip on which to grab onto with one hand making it somewhat iffy trying to hold it and turn the page with one hand. Either I figure out how to hold it and do that without fear of dropping it or I'll have to come up with some other solution. Not crazy about using a case but we'll see what happens.

UPDATE:  I decided to test the whole syncing process since this was a definitely issue for me when I had my NSTG (returned). Upon connecting both devices to WiFi and watching them sync, I then went into my current book and low and behold all was right with the world! Both books are in sync. This is already an improvement because before I either had to keep telling one or both to sync or just give up and manually go the page I left off at on the other device. Not this time folks. There is reason for hope now.  :smileyvery-happy:

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

With the light off, the display IS darker -- compared to my 1st Edition which is also white bezel (glossy yet).

I did notice that the fine print on the edge of the box warns that an anti scratch film was factory installed and that users are not to install a protective film.

Baron Wulfraed
bobstro
0 Kudos

Wulfraed wrote:

With the light off, the display IS darker -- compared to my 1st Edition which is also white bezel (glossy yet).

Does a low glow light setting offset this? What's the impact on visual quality under normal indoor lighting conditions with this setting? Any overall difference in quality with different glow light settings?
Frequent Contributor
Larryb52

to my eyes yes it does makes it look like a regular page in a book, now everybody is going to see this different...also the text is well defined as in sharp and new fonts IMO they all look good , i have the brightness set about 30% brightness...

Correspondent
yarnmama

[ Edited ]

I have had all 4 e-ink Nooks and the NGL is a definite improvment in text clarity. Other than that I can't see and huge improvements. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with it but it's honestly not much different that the NSTG, software wise. 

ETA: the light is an improvement also although I honestly had no complaints with the NSTG light. :smileyhappy:

I gave up on the idea of maintaining and=y shelving on my device long ago. I have over 250 Nook books plus a handful of ones bought elsewhere that I sideloa with Calibre. Well at least I used to. Calibre doesn't find my new NGL and I was forced to use the hated ADE to add my books. :smileyfrustrated: I am hoping the the calibre dev will add an update that will help out with this. That has been my only disappointment so far. I was bummed about the SD card removal at first, but even though I always kept a 2 or 4 g card in my NSTG, I rarely used it. I chose to put books in the internal storage so that my cover art would be displayed. Yes, that bugged me about the SD card so not a great loss to me personally. 

As for syncing, I have two devices with the Nook for Android app and an HD+ beside my NGL. The syncing works sometimes but is still not totally reiable. I find that if you actually navigate to the library and hit sync before leaving off a book and then when re-opening it on the other device go to the library first and hit sync before opening the book it is more likely to work. 

The white is matte and doesn't bother me. I have a little silicone frame that I bought for my NSTG that fits it fine if I want to use that. Also the neoprene sleeve I had for it fits great too. These were bought from BN awile back but they aren't on the website anymore. I wish they would make them again. I don't like using covers on my devices. I just want a sleeve to protect the screen in my bag and the silicone frames are great for adding extra grip. 

Correspondent
lindajm22
0 Kudos

yarnmama wrote:

I gave up on the idea of maintaining and=y shelving on my device long ago. I have over 250 Nook books plus a handful of ones bought elsewhere that I sideloa with Calibre. Well at least I used to. Calibre doesn't find my new NGL and I was forced to use the hated ADE to add my books. :smileyfrustrated: I am hoping the the calibre dev will add an update that will help out with this. That has been my only disappointment so far. I was bummed about the SD card removal at first, but even though I always kept a 2 or 4 g card in my NSTG, I rarely used it. I chose to put books in the internal storage so that my cover art would be displayed. Yes, that bugged me about the SD card so not a great loss to me personally. 

I have a lot of books that are sideloaded onto my SD card and I can see all of those book covers in my Library.  It would bug me a LOT if they didn't show.  I think I have to do something in Calibre to make them show, maybe re-convert from epub to epub?  I can't remember now.  I must have read something here on how to make it happen.

bobstro

Fixing missing covers with Calibre

[ Edited ]
lindajm22 wrote:

I have a lot of books that are sideloaded onto my SD card and I can see all of those book covers in my Library.  It would bug me a LOT if they didn't show.  I think I have to do something in Calibre to make them show, maybe re-convert from epub to epub?  I can't remember now.  I must have read something here on how to make it happen.

You can do an epub-to-epub conversion and it will fix missing covers. However, the conversion process is pretty dramatic, and the resulting epub has been modified extensively. If you want to make changes to the stylesheet later on (e.g. to fix fonts or margins), it can be a real mess. All or most CSS style names are changed, and a lot of spurious styles created.

Fortunately, there are a couple of Calibre plugins that aren't nearly so heavy handed. The two I use most often are:

• Polish Epub: This one will go through and do a number of consistency checks on an epub, fix or update cover and metadata information, add or remove "smart quotes", embed and subset fonts and other document structure functions. It is fast, and well suited to updating a batch of epubs at once. It's described as a "final step" to preparing your epubs.
  • Modify Epub: This one lets you do a more specific things, but is similar. It's handy for updating a single epub in specific ways such as cleaning out iTunes or Adobe metadata, and more targeted functions.
Both of these will preserve the original epub structure far better than a conversion, and both are perfect for fixing covers for display on your NOOK.
I have had a couple of epubs that didn't fare well doing and epub-epub conversion, but that were fine if tweaked with these. I'm sure there are other ways to do this, given how powerful and expandable Calibre is. I can say that I've used these frequently with very good results.

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

Also the neoprene sleeve I had for it fits great too. These were bought from BN awile back but they aren't on the website anymore. I wish they would make them again. I don't like using covers on my devices. I just want a sleeve to protect the screen in my bag and the silicone frames are great for adding extra grip

I went into B&N to check out the one and only cover they have for the NGL. My intent was maybe to get one to help hold the thing as it is a little slick. I'm glad I did because truth be told, that cover they have is every bit as slick as the device itself. I'm going to wait and see if I can come up with some kind of rubber bumper for it as I don't like cases either.

Correspondent
lindajm22
0 Kudos

Re: Fixing missing covers with Calibre

bobstro wrote:
lindajm22 wrote:

You can do an epub-to-epub conversion and it will fix missing covers. However, the conversion process is pretty dramatic, and the resulting epub has been modified extensively. If you want to make changes to the stylesheet later on (e.g. to fix fonts or margins), it can be a real mess. All or most CSS style names are changed, and a lot of spurious styles created.

Fortunately, there are a couple of Calibre plugins that aren't nearly so heavy handed. The two I use most often are:

• Polish Epub: This one will go through and do a number of consistency checks on an epub, fix or update cover and metadata information, add or remove "smart quotes", embed and subset fonts and other document structure functions. It is fast, and well suited to updating a batch of epubs at once. It's described as a "final step" to preparing your epubs.
  • Modify Epub: This one lets you do a more specific things, but is similar. It's handy for updating a single epub in specific ways such as cleaning out iTunes or Adobe metadata, and more targeted functions.
Both of these will preserve the original epub structure far better than a conversion, and both are perfect for fixing covers for display on your NOOK.
I have had a couple of epubs that didn't fare well doing and epub-epub conversion, but that were fine if tweaked with these. I'm sure there are other ways to do this, given how powerful and expandable Calibre is. I can say that I've used these frequently with very good results.

I will have to look for those plugins.  Forturnately, I have not had any of the issues you mentioned with my converted and sideloaded books but I'll try these if I run in to any future problems.  Thanks for the tip!

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

One additional observation: I have both the HD+ and NGL now and I can now make one more comment. I think most my initial frustrations (being new to Nook) were due in large part to the web site and not the device. That's good news (sort of) since they are supposed to fix the web site next year I hope. Oh and one other thing, something that really stuck out concerning the NGL. That little device is very quick picking up a WiFi signal, even my phones hotspot. I was actually pretty surprised by that because everything else I've conected to it (including the HD+) wasn't nearly as fast and in fact, I often times have to go into the settings to get the HD+ to start "looking" for the signal. The NGL connects almost as soon as I wake it up. Most Excellent! My syncing between both devices is also about as good as it will get, certainly enough to satisfy me.

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
ConnieL4193 wrote:

[...] I went into B&N to check out the one and only cover they have for the NGL. My intent was maybe to get one to help hold the thing as it is a little slick.

If you just want something temporary until better cases come along, or to hold the NGL for one-handed reading, there's not much simpler and cheaper than the universal grippy thingie:

Cheapest NOOK grip 0

Cheapest NOOK holder

Cheapest NOOK grip 2

Although I originally did this as a joke, it actually works very well. The band can be used to hold a piece of board over the screen for travel as well.

If you want something more to grip, don't want to spend $20+, and want to preserve the svelte lines of your device, this is one way to go!

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Two questions hope you can answer (downloaded the user manual, but dont see these addressed anywhere):

1) On the NST, B&N insists that it must download your most recent 5 or so purchases everytime you turn on wifi and sync library. (Automatically does this, have never figured out way to stop this.) Does the new NGL do this? Could live with the small memory, as long as could EASILY control what is downloaded. But if the NGL behaves the same way as the NST, its a sale killer for me.

2) Is the "profile" feature from the HD series carried over to the NGL?

TIA for any insights you can offer on these items!!!