Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

Re: New Glow Light, early impressions

I can't say positively what happened but I am relativley certain that when I got my new NGL up and running it did NOT download everything I had. I'm relatively new to Nook so my library isn't all that big at the moment (28 books, 21 magazines, and video). My Nook didn't download all of this although I don't recall exactly how many it did do, I still had to go in and manually download some of them. So I guess I can say that yes, it did automoatically download some of them but not all.  As for the profiles, I don't see that on the NGL.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

ConnieL4193 wrote:

I can't say positively what happened but I am relativley certain that when I got my new NGL up and running it did NOT download everything I had. I'm relatively new to Nook so my library isn't all that big at the moment (28 books, 21 magazines, and video). My Nook didn't download all of this although I don't recall exactly how many it did do, I still had to go in and manually download some of them. So I guess I can say that yes, it did automoatically download some of them but not all.  As for the profiles, I don't see that on the NGL.

Sounds like the same as the NST.  I had to do a full reset on one, and my Mom replaced one that was acting up.  Each time it automatically downloaded a half-dozen or so of the most recent purchases.  For the older ones you had to tap on each icon to get it to download.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

NookGardener wrote:

Two questions hope you can answer (downloaded the user manual, but dont see these addressed anywhere):

1) On the NST, B&N insists that it must download your most recent 5 or so purchases everytime you turn on wifi and sync library. (Automatically does this, have never figured out way to stop this.) Does the new NGL do this? Could live with the small memory, as long as could EASILY control what is downloaded. But if the NGL behaves the same way as the NST, its a sale killer for me.

2) Is the "profile" feature from the HD series carried over to the NGL?

TIA for any insights you can offer on these items!!!

Small memory?
The NGL has 2 GB for B&N content, almost three times as much as the NST (750MB), and almost twice as much as the Kindle Paperwhite (1,25GB).

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

It's the magazines that cause an issue for me, because some of the files are quite large. Love viewing them on HD+, but have no use for them on NST. But the mags accidently get on the NST, next thing you know, its full. So was just hoping that they had addressed this automatic download issue.

Mercury_Glitch

Don't see any profiles. The NGL settings mirror the NSTG. As for syncing I'm not sure. There's archiving, but it archives for all devices then.
The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Thanks for checking MG! (Do the periodic download epub, sideload it back, then archive. Its a bit of a pita, but it works.) Was just hoping for this software enhancement. I'll live. :smileyhappy:

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

LectorGS wrote:

Regarding the syncing, does the device need to be on wi-fi for the syncing to happen?  Thanks

Yes, wifi has to be on.  How else is the device going to get the information?

Wordsmith
Tim40744

yarnmama wrote:
(snip)
:I have over 250 Nook books plus a handful of ones bought elsewhere that I sideload with Calibre. Well at least I used to. Calibre doesn't find my new NGL and I was forced to use the hated ADE to add my books. :smileyfrustrated: I am hoping the the calibre dev will add an update that will help out with this.
(snip)

In case anyone has missed the notification, the latest update of Calibre (1.9) has the drivers for the new Glowlight.

Correspondent
yarnmama
0 Kudos

Tim40744 wrote:

In case anyone has missed the notification, the latest update of Calibre (1.9) has the drivers for the new Glowlight.

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know I will download the new update right now. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

NookGardener wrote:

It's the magazines that cause an issue for me, because some of the files are quite large. Love viewing them on HD+, but have no use for them on NST. But the mags accidently get on the NST, next thing you know, its full. So was just hoping that they had addressed this automatic download issue.

That's been an issue for me.  I have about 200 books, but my NST was full and starting to archive older books.  I couldn't understand why--until I realized it must be the magazines.  I archive them from the HD+ as soon as I finish them but (just as they did at home) they tend to pile up. I wish there were a way to tekk the NST (now NG) to download books but not magazines. My mags are National Geographic and a few photo pubs--nothing that would work at all on a simple e-reader. 

I think there are a number of us who have a tablet/color Nook  plus one of the e-ink devices, as they serve different purposes.  So it would be nice to be able to tailor the libraries. 

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

That's it exactly. Was hoping they had added an option to turn off the auto download feature under Settings. The default could be that auto download was enabled. It's design decisions like this that have me convinced that the software designers don't actually read a lot of books....
keriflur

The ability to control downloads is even more important now that the NGL has no SD slot, so one can't simply move all their older books and mags to their SD card.
Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite
0 Kudos

Tim40744 wrote:

Thanks for the update!!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

NookGardener wrote:
That's it exactly. Was hoping they had added an option to turn off the auto download feature under Settings. The default could be that auto download was enabled. It's design decisions like this that have me convinced that the software designers don't actually read a lot of books....

Most software designers work off specs provided by whoever hired them, they normally don't get to add or remove features because they think its a good or bad idea.  They can recommend changes, but management has to listen and agree. 

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

NookGardener wrote:

Most software designers work off specs provided by whoever hired them, they normally don't get to add or remove features because they think its a good or bad idea.  They can recommend changes, but management has to listen and agree. 

You are right. I stand corrected! Whoever SETS THE SPECS doesnt read a lot, never re-reads anything, or only has a single device...:smileysad:

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

I have to agree with NG... Only an idiot would design an eink shelving system where the user has to scroll through their entire list of 500, 1000 or 1500 library of ebooks, not once, but 20 to 30 times (depending on the number of shelves) to shelve books. Then, when new books are added, you have to scroll through the entire list again.

I can't imagine why, at a minimum, the software can't be designed so you can tap on a book and shelve it right from the main library.

As for the HD family, it's unfathomable why the ability to shelve from a search, remove an ebook from a shelf in the main library and see how many books were on a given shelf were eliminated in subsequent software updates.

That said, I broke down and bought the latest NGlow; I decided that my rate of ebook purchasing would be less in the coming years than it was initially, so the likelihood of running out of space in the next year or so was low. As I tend to upgrade often and gift my prior models, as long as I could get 2 years out of the NGlow, the purchase was feasible. I have a library of a little over 1000, exclusive of the interactive children's books. Of those, about 700 are from B&N, and about 300 hundred are sideloaded. For those of you who are trying to determine if there is adequate storage without an SD card slot, I now have 42% of 865 mg of B&N storage available, and 40%, or 202 mg of storage available for sideloading.

I have to say that I love the look and feel of the new model, with its softer curves. The NST had very sharp inner edges, and I often found my fingers getting sore when tapping to turn pages. It's definitely much lighter in weight, sharper in text, and has no flashing when reading a book (though flashing still exists when scrolling through shelves). The glowlight is even with lots of maneuverablilty in the amount of lighting selected. The one improvement in shelving I see is the subtle shading between book titles and the wider spacing seems to have eiminated the tendency to accidentally add a book to a shelf when rapidly scrolling through the list. That happened to me all of the time on the NST; it didn't happen once when reshelving my library on the new model. 

Aside from the ridiculousness of the shelving nightmare, and the limited onboard storage space, my one other complaint is the dropdown list for sorting (all books, my files, shelves and sorting by author, title, etc.). The font is too small on the dropdown list for my eyes. It would be great if there was a setting to enlarge or zoom in on the list.

I was able to use the NST covers I already had with the NGlow, so no need to purchase another cover. The fit is not ideal, as the the little protrusions that locked into the NST holes are visible, but the clamps seem to keep the Glow fairly secure (except for some wiggling when putting in and taking off the charger - it's a much tighter fit than on the NST), and I use color coordinated elastic with a decorative button attached to keep the cover closed when traveling.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
keriflur
0 Kudos

NookGardener wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

NookGardener wrote:

You are right. I stand corrected! Whoever SETS THE SPECS doesnt read a lot, never re-reads anything, or only has a single device...:smileysad:

The people who are deciding the spec of the devices are likely very high up at the company. There are a whole host of people who can make recommendations to management (pretty much the entire project team - devs, business anaylsts, project managers, engineers, etc.) but it's been my experience as a BA and QA tester that management tends to pay more attention to cost and timeline than the recommendations of the people doing the work, and by cost I mean cost of the dev, not cost to the company.  I've seen projects that would have allowed teams to reallocate people (via tremendous reduction in workload) shelved even though the dev was done, just to save a couple weeks of testing and fine-tuning.

MacMcK1957

laurieb52 wrote (in part).

I can't imagine why, at a minimum, the software can't be designed so you can tap on a book and shelve it right from the main library.

I can't imagine why a company that actually had exactly such a shelving system, on the first Nook, decided to trash it and replace it with the ridiculous system on all the e-ink devices since then.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I was not a fan of the shelving on the original nook (except the "unshelved" recognition capability), as you had to jump back and forth between the shelving for sideloaded and B&N books, and back and forth between options too much. I much preferred the shelving capabilities of the Nook Color and Tablet. From there it went downhill fast.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

The way the N1E kept the sideloaded and downloaded books separate was annoying, but a separate issue from the shelving mechanism.  Setting that aside, I found the shelving to be a much better system than what they replaced it with.  If they had just combined the two classes of books and kept everything else as it was, it would have been far better than what they have now.