Contributor
KirkNM
0 Kudos

Re: New Glow Light, early impressions

Interesting...hadn't heard that the light may remain on with the KPW. And, since full brightness on the new NOOK is REALLY bright, you might be correct that part of greyness of the screen may be to compensate for that... So, I think that trying to leave the light on at low brightness all the time and see how the battery lasts in something I will try...and/or just get used to it looking more grey if I don't. :-) Thanks!
Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

The NST also doesn't have any anti-glare screens built in, while the NSTG and the NGL both do.  My NST appears sharper than FTs, though I suspect that he wasn't going for sharpness of the text, rather just the coloring of the background.

The sharpness of the text is going to be hard to capture in a photo for distribution.  First you generally lose some clarity with pictures, then you have to deal with the host site compressing the file.  Then you have to factor in the clarity of your monitor (granted this is much less of a concern than anything else).  Still you've taken something through several steps all of which can attribute a loss of clarity, and you're comparing small details like the lines of text on a 6" screen.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Contributor
KirkNM
0 Kudos

Thanks very much for your detailed post and the effort behind it.  I agree that some or maybe much of the relative greyness of the screen is due to the different bezel color.  However, I don't agree that accounts for all of the difference.  Even in your photos, I can see noticeable difference in relative greyness or darkness or whatever one wants to describe it as.  And, one can actually measure it with a colorimeter...I might be able to that myself if I get that motivated and start feeling all scientific about it.

But, perhaps the best response was from the person that mentioned that even if it was all a perceived darkening or greying of the screen when compared to previous NOOK models (even the original NOOK!), that is still a potential issue.  And, it will also vary by individual.  I am someone who thinks the difference is very noticeable--but the majority of reviews I have read suggest that most people don't notice it or don't care.

Thanks again for your post!!  I added a Kudo to your growing list...

keriflur
0 Kudos

I agree with FT, the darker screen is an illusion. When I did my in-store comparison, I thought the same thing that everyone's saying, that the NGL looked darker, but when I actually put them side-by-side, the screens were darn close to the same color.  

It's the white frame, primarily, making the screen look darker. Another factor, of course, is the light guide, which causes a minuscule reduction in light hitting the screen (this is the reason I prefer a non-lighted device), and of course there is also some variation in screens in general.

Regarding clarity, I don't think you can do a good comparison when the devices are showing different fonts. 

As an FYI - you can turn the light all the way off on the latest version of the KPW.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

I'm wondering if B&N actually intended it to be used with the light. I'm reading the manual that came with it (yeah, I'm a compulseive manual reader.)  When it talks about the expected battery life, it says, "Based on 30 minutes of readig per day and 1 page refrech per minute, a single charge lasts up to 8 weeks with GlowLight at default brightness of off and wireless off." 

BTW--what is "default brightness? "  I've adjusted mine every time I use it, and I didn't notice where it was set when I first bought it.

bobstro
0 Kudos

I'm reading it as "off" is the default. Regardless of whether the level of darkness is an optical illusion or not, it's clearly "not white" while unlit. To brighten up the screen, you have to turn on the glowlight. That will impact battery life. So what's battery life with the glowlight set to a level sufficient to overcome the darkness of the screen?

Personally, I wouldn't need it to be "months", but at least a week of solid reading between charges would be necessary to make it compellingly better than an LCD device. A simple rating in hours would be useful.

DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,273
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Gray and grey

flyingtoastr wrote:

It's an optical illusion. Light colors juxtaposed with dark colors make them each much more deep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White%27s_illusion

Grey bar illusion

Nooks: 2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted;
    2 HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: Gray and grey

So... who picked white as the only option?

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

So... who picked white as the only option?

That was Gary up in corporate sales.  :smileywink:

We'll likely never know.

bobstro
0 Kudos

Decalgirl does offer a Solid State Black skin, as well as a Gray version for the NST/G. The gray page doesn't show the front bezel unfortunately, so I have to assume it's included. It would probably be best to wait for them to offer a version specifically for the new GlowLight, but it shouldn't be long.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

Decalgirl does offer a Solid State Black skin, as well as a Gray version for the NST/G. The gray page doesn't show the front bezel unfortunately, so I have to assume it's included. It would probably be best to wait for them to offer a version specifically for the new GlowLight, but it shouldn't be long.

You should probably wait.  The NSTG and NGL only changed in one dimension, but the skins have 'holes' for the buttons that are gone on the NGL.  I'm not sure how they line up along the side of the Nook since the pictures only show the front and back, but the NGL has a silicone band around the edge which is removable, and it would likely cause issues with the sticker. 

If the white color is such a hassle that you can't wait you could paint the Nook.  Though I'd certainly be very careful if you opt for that route since damage caused wouldn't be covered under the one year warranty.

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie

Decalgirl will have skins for the new nook later this month and will post on Facebook. I was trying to turn off wifi as I used to on original nook to conserve battery. Is that not needed on new nook? I can find in settings the option to change the wifi setting to another wifi, but not the option to turn it off? Thanks for any info!
Mercury_Glitch

TXAnnie wrote:
Decalgirl will have skins for the new nook later this month and will post on Facebook. I was trying to turn off wifi as I used to on original nook to conserve battery. Is that not needed on new nook? I can find in settings the option to change the wifi setting to another wifi, but not the option to turn it off? Thanks for any info!

Thanks for the heads up.

Turning off wifi should be possible from both the quick settings and full settings. 

Quick settings - tap the gear at the top right of the screen, a new window should pop up.  This will have three sections, battery level, wifi, and glowlight.  On the far right hand side in the wifi section there should be a check box.  Simply uncheck it and that turns wifi off.

all settings - as above click the gear, then at the bottom of the window click 'all settings' this brings up several options one of which is Wireless.  Tapping that brings up the wifi info, and again on the far right is a check box, unchecking it will turn off wifi.

I would suggest leaving wifi off unless you are purchasing a book or downloading / archiving a book. 

If those boxes do not appear I would take your NGL to your local store.  You can of course call the 1800 number but they'll likely tell you what I've told you as they can't see your screen :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

Thank you Mercury, so obvious, duh. Thanks again so much. Another question, I just ordered a book for the first time and I completed the whole transaction without ever being asked to enter my password. Is this normal for the new nook?
Mercury_Glitch

Yes.

Once you've registered it, the Nook is tagged to your account.  So you wont need to enter a password to make purchases.

However if you would like to enable that feature, say if your NGL is going to be in the hands of a child who is purchase happy, you can do that too.  Just go to the 'all settings' as noted above, but select "Shop".  From there check the 'Require Password for Purchases".  I believe this has to be your Nook account password, but I may be wrong.  You will be asked to confirm the password. 

If you had this option enabled on your old Nook, don't be alarmed that it's not enabled on your new Nook.  These settings are not tied to an account they are tied to the device. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

Thanks again Mercury. Yes that feature was on other nook, didnt realize there was an option. I so appreciate your help.
Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

You should probably wait.  The NSTG and NGL only changed in one dimension, but the skins have 'holes' for the buttons that are gone on the NGL.  I'm not sure how they line up along the side of the Nook since the pictures only show the front and back, but the NGL has a silicone band around the edge which is removable, and it would likely cause issues with the sticker. 

Thank you for the information.  I love the new GL except for the matte white.  Glossy white would be easy to clean; matte white is just going to get grubby.  I really prefer to use my Nooks unencumbered by cases, so I'm thinking a skin is the way to go.  They aren't that expensive and they are pretty cool.  Are they hard to apply? 

But I still do wish we'd been given an option in color. 

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

I haven't tried to apply a skin, since we don't sell them at B&N it's never been an issue.

I suspect they aren't that bad though, probably much like the various screen protectors.  My advice would be to peel a little of the skin up, line it up on the nook, and -slowly- work it down.  Making sure that it stays lined up.

I suspect we'll see more cases from B&N.  The HDs all lack the clip holes that the NST/Gs have and there are plenty of book type covers.  I am also holding out hope for a silicone shell to make its debut.  However should nothing materialize from B&N I'll check Decalgirl out toward the end of the month.  Hopefully they port most of their currnt skins over to the NGL.  Though I'd really just want a matte black one, the grime build up doesn't bother me as much, I'm overly neat, but the glossy finish would catch light and be frustrating when reading outside.

roustabout

Psychophysics of perception

[ Edited ]

I'm going to assume that FT's excellent photos capture the background color well. 

And that - if the bezel were removed - the screens would have comparable black and white levels. 

Unfortunately, that doesn't quite make the appearance of the finished device an optical illusion.  To me, an illusion can be dispersed by illustration or explanation;  the effects of background color on apparent brightness really can't.

Which makes  this a huge fail on Gary in the Department of Julie Research's part to understand how visual systems work. 

If it always looks dingy with the light off but otherwise in normal use - the net effect is that it's a dingier screen than it needed to be. 

I understand that this is perceived rather than absolute dinginess, but it's how the visual cortex is wired up.  BN can change a lot of things, but they're probably not going to be able to rewire their customers' nervous systems. 

It's great that there are already skins on the market for the device, but their cost needs to be factored into the total cost of the device - and this screen will look worse than it needs to for most customers who view it in a retail setting which also has Kobos and Kindles on display. 

As far as the "if you didn't run out and buy one, you shouldn't explain your disinterest, as this is better than no device" line of argument:  I think a lot of folks are enjoying the device and getting value from it.

Some of us see the existing models (which we already own or can still purchase, at least for now) as being better devices and not figments of our imagination. 

I'm fine with the NSTG despite the relatively uneven illumination.  The expandability is valuable to me and the hard buttons as well.  I typically use the light at a low enough level that I'm pleased to have it and am not obsessing over the unevenness. 

The only reason for me to purchase one of the new devices would be to crack the shell open to see if a memory upgrade is possible. 

I'm prepared to wait on that, though, as I'm sure someone else will get around to it and I already have the NST (on long-term loan) the NSTG and have in the past had the NC, NT and HD+.  I'm by no means someone who doesn't do business with BN or enjoy their devices - but lately I'm enjoying each generation less and recommending each generation much less. 

If a memory upgrade is possible I'm likely to pick one of these up.  If it isn't, I'm more interested in seeing what can be one with a Kobo device.

Bobstro mentioned the Kobo's main memory is removable and upgradeable.  Has anyone taken a shot at backing up the onboard OS and dropping a Nook Touch OS onto the card?  :smileyhappy:

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: Psychophysics of perception

roustabout wrote:
Bobstro mentioned the Kobo's main memory is removable and upgradeable.

Yes, I was very surprised to read that several models use simple uSD cards. Pull the card, copy it and resize your partitions, and you could be sporting a device with 30+ GB of mixed-use storage plus an additional uSD slot on some models. I'm not sure the Aura has this, but if so, I think I've spotted my next device if so.

Has anyone taken a shot at backing up the onboard OS and dropping a Nook Touch OS onto the card? :smileyhappy:

No, but someone has Debian Linux running on it, and there was talk of Android... though I recall it being at a very alpha level. I was surprised at just how much Linux stuff works on the Kobos though. A lot of what I wanted app access for on my NST can be done with init scripts and the like. They've also got a functional browser for handling wifi portals and the like.