Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

New Kindles announced - how long before B&N responds with new Nooks?

Wanna place your bets?

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/gadgetbox/amazon-reveals-7-inch-8-9-inch-kindle-fire-hd-982723

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor
level4op
0 Kudos

Re: New Kindles announced - how long before B&N responds with new Nooks?

Just read the article, this is sweet!  The new line of Kindle Fire's is going to be hard to beat.  Not sure if I can take a guess on this. 

Frequent Contributor
level4op
0 Kudos

Even with the new iPad 7" coming out later in the fall (maybe) that's still won't touch the Kindle Fire.
Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Most rumors have converged on a 7.85" iPad mini ~ if you were rounding 7.85, you'd round it to 8", not 7", so there does not seem to be a 7" iPad mini on its way.

If the Amazon format graphic novels didn't suck, and if I had $300, that $300 Kindle Fire HD 9" would be tempting.

The $160 price point for the slightly upgraded 16G Kindle Fire v1 and the $200 price point for the 7" Kindle Fire HD are directly in line with the kind of price point I was looking at B&N doing their Nook Tablet v1 and Nook Tablet v2.

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

B&N might be announcing their new line this month: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/barnes-and-noble-new-nook-in-september/
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Contributor
orionhk
0 Kudos

I would be thrilld if they just opened up the nooks android capabilities so that it could access apps from google play.
Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

orionhk wrote:
I would be thrilld if they just opened up the nooks android capabilities so that it could access apps from google play.

I got tired of waiting as many others also. So that is what the N2A or NFA cards are for. Rolled my own CM7 SD card now am happy camper. Get to choose which Browser which ereader app like my Moon+ pro app. And now with Google Play Gift Cards don't even need a Credit Card to buy apps,music,movies or ebooks.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Wordsmith
BruceMcF

orionhk wrote:

So would Google, surely. B&N's shareholders might be a bit less thrilled about selling hardware at cost or below in order to generate book and movie sales for Google.

If rather than Google Play movies, music and books, its the variety of apps and availability of free apps, B&N could put a GetJar app into their app store. That would make more free apps available than B&N will ever be able to get up into their own app store.

Distinguished Wordsmith
PeterDe

I don't understand this Walmart mentality. To demand a decent product at a fair price is not realislitic.  BN has high overhead costs, like rent, staff, and insider deals that Amazon does not have. I gladly will pay BN a  premium for state of the equipment aimed at Julie with 1,000's of available apps, than to give my money to Jeff B who puts outs a decent product with only a few more apps available, and who does nothing but drive prices down to a level that threatens the worlds economic stability.  I pledge myself to keep BN afloat with my money, I can only hope that millions and millions of others would do the same. 

Some people can't see the forest for the trees!

4 Nook Household, 2 NOOKs, 2 NOOKcolors
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

PeterDe wrote:

[...]  I pledge myself to keep BN afloat with my money, I can only hope that millions and millions of others would do the same. 

I felt the same way about my local mom & pop bookstore before B&N drove them under. 

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

PeterDe wrote:

I don't understand this Walmart mentality. To demand a decent product at a fair price is not realislitic.  BN has high overhead costs, like rent, staff, and insider deals that Amazon does not have. ...

I don't see that B&N's store overheads should be charged to the Nook that I buy online or the ebooks that I buy online. The closest B&N is on the opposite side of the metro area from me, nor do I have any way to get there on any regular basis.

Indeed, going on what Matt Blind has described, the Nooks are not selling at margins designed to carry substantial overheads.

Given that B&N already priced their current product range at $150, $180 and $200, in advance of the announcement of the new Nook Tablet which can be expected to see the Nook Tablet v1 machines get another price cut, I expect them to match or beat Amazon on price at the bottom two slots of their $160 / $200 / $300 price point.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

End of September probably.

Note: All Kindle Fires have Ads on them. That helps Amazon lower the price.

For me I'm going to pay to have the Ads removed from my Kindle Fire HD. So a Nook Tablet 2 that is slightly higher with No Ads - just as good of a deal.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

5ivedom: Note: All Kindle Fires have Ads on them. That helps Amazon lower the price.

For me I'm going to pay to have the Ads removed from my Kindle Fire HD. So a Nook Tablet 2 that is slightly higher with No Ads - just as good of a deal.

According to this article (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-3126_7-57508526/amazon-confirms-all-new-kindle-fires-stuck-with-ads/), you won't be able to opt-out. Everyone will be stuck with them.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

TnTexas wrote:

5ivedom: Note: All Kindle Fires have Ads on them. That helps Amazon lower the price.

According to this article (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-3126_7-57508526/amazon-confirms-all-new-kindle-fires-stuck-with-ads/), you won't be able to opt-out. Everyone will be stuck with them.

There's a potential selling point right there "Unlike Kindle Fire, Ad Free!!!"

Bibliophile
bklvr896

BruceMcF wrote:

PeterDe wrote:

I don't understand this Walmart mentality. To demand a decent product at a fair price is not realislitic.  BN has high overhead costs, like rent, staff, and insider deals that Amazon does not have. ...

I don't see that B&N's store overheads should be charged to the Nook that I buy online or the ebooks that I buy online. The closest B&N is on the opposite side of the metro area from me, nor do I have any way to get there on any regular basis.

Indeed, going on what Matt Blind has described, the Nooks are not selling at margins designed to carry substantial overheads.

Given that B&N already priced their current product range at $150, $180 and $200, in advance of the announcement of the new Nook Tablet which can be expected to see the Nook Tablet v1 machines get another price cut, I expect them to match or beat Amazon on price at the bottom two slots of their $160 / $200 / $300 price point.

All products BN sells are going to have to cover the overhead costs.  Even if they spin it off into a separate division, which I think they have, they still, in essence, cover the overhead costs. Because if the bookstore side is losing money, the other divisions have to make money to cover it.  The bottom line needs to be a profit, regardless of where the monies come from.  And, since Nooks are sold in the stores, the cost has to factor in a portion of the stores overhead.  Businesses can't arbitrarily decide to burden one product with overhead, and not another.  And it makes no difference in the end anyway, bottom line, profit.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:
... And, since Nooks are sold in the stores, the cost has to factor in a portion of the stores overhead. ...

Not all Nooks are sold in stores

Over the long haul, if people who do buy Nooks in B&N stores come back for the free WiFi and ebook sampling and while they are there, buy coffee ... there's your profit margin for the store right there. Lots of margin in a cup of coffee.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

BruceMcF wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:
... And, since Nooks are sold in the stores, the cost has to factor in a portion of the stores overhead. ...

Not all Nooks are sold in stores

Over the long haul, if people who do buy Nooks in B&N stores come back for the free WiFi and ebook sampling and while they are there, buy coffee ... there's your profit margin for the store right there. Lots of margin in a cup of coffee.

I wonder how many people actually spend that much time in the store..  And not all stores have a cafe, the two closest to me have a Starbucks attached, but it's not part of the store it's run by Starbucks.  So they dont get anything off the coffee.  If I go into one of these stores they don't make any money off me unless I buy something.  

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,976
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

I wonder how many people actually spend that much time in the store..  And not all stores have a cafe, the two closest to me have a Starbucks attached, but it's not part of the store it's run by Starbucks.  So they dont get anything off the coffee.  If I go into one of these stores they don't make any money off me unless I buy something.  

(anecdore =/= evidence)

We get a lot of NOOK owners in our store, actually. But, we are in a very affluent area (median family income in Wesley Chapel is neary $70000/year), with a fairly large proportion of older retirees (and there's quite literally nothing else to do in this town other than go to the mall). So I figure a lot of it has to do with people just having tons of free time, plenty of money, and want to get some overpriced coffee and a scone and read the latest "James Patterson" thriller.

Granted, I'm sure they're really just coming in to visit me. :smileywink:

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

(anecdore =/= evidence)

We get a lot of NOOK owners in our store, actually. But, we are in a very affluent area (median family income in Wesley Chapel is neary $70000/year), with a fairly large proportion of older retirees (and there's quite literally nothing else to do in this town other than go to the mall). So I figure a lot of it has to do with people just having tons of free time, plenty of money, and want to get some overpriced coffee and a scone and read the latest "James Patterson" thriller.

Granted, I'm sure they're really just coming in to visit me. :smileywink:

True, time is something I generally don't have a lot of.  And it my stores, they've pretty much removed all the comfortable chairs, neither Starbucks is that big, so there's rarely seating available, and it's noisy because it's separate from the store itself, with only a door between the two, so not a great place to relax and read a book.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

That Starbucks attached is interesting wrinkle in generating additional income from the foot traffic that a bookstore attracts ~ an elaboration of the business model of using the bookstore to attract the foot traffic and then making some of the revenues from subleasing to food and drink vendors is described by Matt Blind at RocketBomber.

As far as your particular consumer behavior ~ since people are not a homogeneous mass, but a population of unique individuals, there is a range of behavior. The foot traffic generates opportunities to harvest additional income. What matters to the store is not whether each individual person in the foot traffic generates income for each individual way of harvesting income, but the average income generated by each source.